War Of The Worlds/Film/Questions
It has always been one of my favorite (ALL TIME) Sci-Fi films. I recently had the fortune to actually see this movie on a full size Theatre screen for the first time. It was only then that I could really appreciate just how good this movie actually was. It's to bad more theatres around the US don't bring back these classic SCI-FI movies for younger folks to have a chance to see them as they were intended. So many of them lose the original power and scope when seen on TV.

I do have a question about the Martian War Machines in this film. They basically had two weapons?

1. "Heat Ray" fired from the Eye mounted on the pivot/arm beam of the craft.
2. "Skeleton Beam" Fired from the wing tips of the craft.

The first weapon destroyed by heat discharge, and the second by attacking matter at the atomic level.

So, with this in mind.....Why would the Martian War Machines even need a "Heat Ray" weapon? Wouldn't destruction at the molecular level be superior to that?

Can you think of any reason why the War Machines might need to have this "Heat Ray" in spite of having a "Skeleton Beam".
My thought was perhaps the Martians needed the "Heat Ray" as a form of energy discharge to ballance their use of Atomic power with the "Skeleton Beam" That is to say use of one weapon required an energy release, in the form of heat, to keep the Machine from destroying itself?? Any thoughts??

Finally/What other classic sci-fi films would you like to see come to a theatre near you?

Our local theatre will be showing "20,000 Leauges Under The sea", "The Time Machine", "Them", "Creature From The Black Lagoon", and the original "Godzilla" later this year in there "Creature Feature" film festival. Cheers!
Maybe it was in case they had sheilds?
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
That's as good an answer as any I could think of???? Which classic Sci-Fi movies do you wish you could see at the theatre RobRoy?

Personally, I'd like to also see "Forbidden Planet" and "Day The Earth Stood Still". Cheers!
Oh have mercy. Forbidden Planet would be great to see at the theatres, and so would The Day the Earth Stood Still. I would love to watch either of those on a big screen, but better still, I would have loved to have been in one of those audiences for the first showing and be part of that initial awe and reaction. Soylent Green, The Omega Man or Planet of the Apes would also fall in those categories of wanting to see them on a big screen, but also as part of that shared conscienceness of an initial audience.

Almost any classic of noir movie would be great for me. In my old home town, they had a single-screen theatre that showed classic films from time to time. I saw Casablanca on the big screen, and it was definately worth it.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Had the pleasure of seeing Forbidden Planet a few years ago - In Australia the big monster scene was cut from all cinema releases in the 50's.

Some of us had waited 30 years to see that scene. When came on - audience went nuts. The projector guy stopped the film - rewound it. Went through the same thing three times.

Just one of those momments that makes life good

Glen
Quote:Originally posted by galacticimports
I do have a question about the Martian War Machines in this film. They basically had two weapons?

1. "Heat Ray" fired from the Eye mounted on the pivot/arm beam of the craft.
2. "Skeleton Beam" Fired from the wing tips of the craft.

The first weapon destroyed by heat discharge, and the second by attacking matter at the atomic level.

So, with this in mind.....Why would the Martian War Machines even need a "Heat Ray" weapon? Wouldn't destruction at the molecular level be superior to that?

Can you think of any reason why the War Machines might need to have this "Heat Ray" in spite of having a "Skeleton Beam".
My thought was perhaps the Martians needed the "Heat Ray" as a form of energy discharge to ballance their use of Atomic power with the "Skeleton Beam" That is to say use of one weapon required an energy release, in the form of heat, to keep the Machine from destroying itself?? Any thoughts??

The obvious answer is because the heat ray is the weapon used by the martians in the books.
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
That is a good answer/and obvious as you stated. I was trying to see if anyone might have other ideas that might have more of a "Science" in Sci-Fi explanation??

The War Machines in the film don't look anything like what the Book, or the Radio broadcast describes, with "Support Rays...Like Invisible Legs". as Gene Barry says in the film version.

I don't recall a skeleton Beam in the Book version either for that matter?? Cheers!

"We were so poor all we had to eat was food for thought".
have any off you heard the audio version that was the first WAR OF THE WORLDS thing that i heard then i read the book and saw the movie. after that i thought h.g. wells was the best autor of all time the invisable man, the time machine all a great read. good movies aswell but i think the original time machine was the best.
Which audio version do you mean? The one by Orson Welles or the musical version by Jeff Wayne?
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
I have heard them both but i like the musical better...Didnt the other one cause mass panic when it was on the radio
Quote:Originally posted by galacticimports
That is a good answer/and obvious as you stated. I was trying to see if anyone might have other ideas that might have more of a "Science" in Sci-Fi explanation??

The heat rays use less power and are destructive enough for our weak bodies?

The disintigrators overheat easily and can't be employed continuosly?

The Martians enjoy inflicting pain and watching their victims being consumed rather than simply disappearing?
:alien: Sci-Fi needs reality TV as much as it needs a Hammer! :mad:
You guys beat me to it with Forbidden Planet (that would be a dream come true) but I have to admit that I've always wanted to see
This Island Earth...Them!...2001:A Space Odyssey...Earth vs. the Flying Saucers and (don't troll me) the truncated Battlestar Galactica Theatre release. I just couldn't imagine having more fun at the movies (except maybe Harryhausen's Jason and the Arganauts!!)
First you want to kill me, then you want to kiss me...blow. (Ash)
Thanks Blue Delvia. That's what I was looking for........And by the way. I really liked your possible reasons. Showed good Sci-Fi thought/imagination. Cheers!

I've gone over the edge........Darn Lemmings!
Fella's, fella's, you all seem to be missing the obvious answer...

You can't necessarily torture your victims with an immediate molecular dissolve, you need something slow and painful for that, like burning their skin off and baking the blood... this is the Evil Marshan Empire we're talking about here, they don't settle for quick and easy death, these guys are sadistic, throat-slitting, kid-eating, N-Suck fans from marshan hell. Nothing less would do.

Just my two patellas.

Maedhros
home of the land, free of the brave.
Evryine in South Australia this sunday at 11:15pm on chanel nine war or the worlds is on

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has quality of film making gone down? Yalmuk 2 137 July 14th, 2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Trailer for independent film "Iron Sky" Michael 6 1,574 March 19th, 2022, 03:25 PM
  Will we see the return of the small budget science fiction film? hour_25mikehodel 4 273 February 23rd, 2022, 09:24 PM
Photo Ali Pourahmad directed an amazing sci fi film called Aliens Reaction scifilover 0 1,414 December 27th, 2020, 05:56 AM
Last Post: scifilover
  1905 Film Colorized and Smoothed in 2020 Michael 0 426 November 26th, 2020, 04:59 PM
  Spielberg to make a Armenian genocide film badlands 2 769 May 4th, 2020, 03:51 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Film Director of Boyz and hood and Poetic Justice dies: John Singleton badlands 0 562 April 30th, 2019, 04:35 PM
  The Book of Revelations as an animated film badlands 6 866 April 23rd, 2019, 05:58 PM
  Film Director, Writer Larry Cohen has died Michael 1 823 April 14th, 2019, 08:25 PM
  Video: Trailer for Christian Bale film "Hostiles" FilmGuy 0 449 November 14th, 2017, 11:15 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy