Back in time
You are convicted of a crime and as punishment you are sent back in time to a period of your choice, provided it is over 120 years before your birth. To which period would you go?
Quote:Originally posted by DeamondBleed
You are convicted of a crime and as punishment you are sent back in time to a period of your choice, provided it is over 120 years before your birth. To which period would you go?

This sounds more like a benefit than a punishment. After all, with your history book firmly in tote, no matter how poorly written, you should still be able to benefit rather well from pre-knowledge or specific events.

<shrug>

In either case, I would look toward the late 1500s or toward the late 1400s. In either case, with even my limited knowledge, I could vastly improve the current ship-building and navigation techniques, and even the health and medical knowledge used aboard ship, and trundle about doing my little bit to stay out of the way of history, but still make as much money as possible.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Some time in the 1800's. I wouldn't want to go back too far if I had to be stuck there for the rest of my life.

1861 would be 120 years before I was born, so that's a good a time as any. Then, once 1888 rolled around, I'd make sure to be in London so I could find out who Jack the Ripper was.
I already did this.... with a false beard I pretended to be an artist called Leonardo. :bg:
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
Quote:Originally posted by moif
I already did this.... with a false beard I pretended to be an artist called Leonardo. :bg:

Leonardo DiCaprio? You didn't have a very convincing beard then, and I hated you in The Man in the Iron Mask. Did you even read the script? :bg:

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

I knew that... don't you recognize me?

It's me Mona!:bg:
:alien: Sci-Fi needs reality TV as much as it needs a Hammer! :mad:
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
Leonardo DiCaprio? You didn't have a very convincing beard then, and I hated you in The Man in the Iron Mask. Did you even read the script? :bg:

There was a script? :confused: no one told me....

Quote:Originally posted by BlueDelvia
I knew that... don't you recognize me?

It's me Mona!:bg:

er... hey babe... sorry about the moustache.... :anxious:
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
er... hey babe... sorry about the moustache.... :anxious:

Oh silly.... at least you got my smile right. :kiss:
:alien: Sci-Fi needs reality TV as much as it needs a Hammer! :mad:
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
This sounds more like a benefit than a punishment. After all, with your history book firmly in tote, no matter how poorly written, you should still be able to benefit rather well from pre-knowledge or specific events.

Race and Gender could make this a cruel and unusal punishment. Still if I had to pick I would either go to Canada in 1800, more opportunity. Or perhaps the America's during the 1300's.
"Well,at least you're not bitter."

I always thought you were a mutant moif
[Image: tmnt%20leonardo.gif]
Quote:Originally posted by Nayeli
Race and Gender could make this a cruel and unusal punishment. Still if I had to pick I would either go to Canada in 1800, more opportunity. Or perhaps the America's during the 1300's.

True, true, but given that you get to pick the time and place, there's always a way around gender and racial concerns.

Why America during the 1300's?

Could you all possibly live without all the tech we enjoy today? No cable TV, no movies, no fones, no computers, no internet, no buses and cars, no toilets,no toilet paper, and worst, no medical expertise. The laws are bad. Food isnt good enough. I'm sure I wont last long if im even transported anywhere 200 years ago. I think this is brutal punsihment.
Quote:Originally posted by Nimruzir
Could you all possibly live without all the tech we enjoy today? No cable TV, no movies, no fones, no computers, no internet, no buses and cars, no toilets,no toilet paper, and worst, no medical expertise. The laws are bad. Food isnt good enough. I'm sure I wont last long if im even transported anywhere 200 years ago. I think this is brutal punsihment.

I actually considered this, and in truth, I wouldn't survive. But all things being equal, then the means to health in bygone ages is actually through wealth. Create enough of the gold stuff, and you can set up pretty much anything you want. Most of the elements mentioned above are for entertainment purposes, and could quite easily be done without (for me, anyhow). Travel is certainly going to be slower, but that doesn't mean it's worse, given that everything else functions at the same slower rate. With enough wealth you can design waterwheels, even steam and even electric power, produce passable toilets and toilet paper. I mean, the 1800s weren't barbaric, depending on where you land they were actually rather well off. Even the 1700s wouldn't be the dark ages that we might think. And again, wealth can buy you just about any survival that you could want or need. Thicker walls, more blankets, coal or wood, etc.

It wouldn't be a walk in the park, but again, if you can produce wealth, then you pretty much can go about the business of survival.

You can even receive rather excellent medical expertise even as long as two to three-hundred years ago or more. Just watch out for the leaches.

I would never survive 120 years before I was born..whatever year that would be I didn't calculate it cause I am terrible in math...

I need running water and the outhouse thingy just wouldn't work for me!
But....if I had to do it anyways...I would hope I would be able to go back to the 1800's sometime...into the "wild" west or at least someplace out west.
I would have loved to have lived in those times. Not so much around all of the violence but I guess that was probably all over so there really would have been no avoiding it.
America, the founding of the nation, the greatest exploriation of the continet. And no need for great wealth if you are a skilled hunter. Go west young man.

For startup of capital to buy intial supplies, hire yourself out as a laborer, until you have enough nest egg to invest.
Now with the wisdom of years, I try to reason things out
And the only people I fear are those who never have doubts
Save us all from arrogant men, and all the causes they're for
Billy Joel, Shades of Grey, from the River of Dreams album.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Welcome back Kotter reboot badlands 4 321 January 16th, 2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Michael
  I am not ready to go back into the cinemas Michael 9 906 November 24th, 2021, 04:49 PM
  Scientists reverse time on quantum level Michael 0 631 March 13th, 2019, 10:20 PM
  Quantum Computing May Reverse Time Michael 0 534 July 23rd, 2018, 11:40 AM
  There and back again, a Neverending tale. Adam-X 10 1,439 July 17th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Adam-X
  After 21 years, internet trolls finally make the cover of Time Magazine august 4 944 September 3rd, 2016, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  CERN's time traveling would-be saboteur vanishes from cell Michael 0 1,185 November 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM
  Scientists trying to create "space-time cloak" Michael 0 795 November 16th, 2010, 04:20 PM
  Back me up! GamgeeFest 3 1,094 August 31st, 2010, 09:38 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Broadcast advertisers agree to same rates for online streaming for 1st time Michael 3 741 June 7th, 2010, 11:20 AM