Cold Mountain
I really want to see Cold Mountain because it looked cool. What got me interested was the preveiws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It looked cool.
The only previews I've seen for this are the ones with all the critics stuff saying how good it is. All I know about it is that Nicole Kidman's in it and Renee Zellwhatshername was nominated for a Golden Globe. Does anyone know what this is about?
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
I kind of want to see it, but mainly because of Renee Zellweger's line in the trailer - something about "they made the weather then they complain because it's raining", she did a really good job of it, but I probably won't go to see it in theatres.
"Cali rules these forums. I think that whatever she says, she's always right, so I'm abdicating my throne for her to take over control. MWA to all! :kiss:"
- RobRoy
I havent seen the movie, but from seeing a few previews the gist of the plot seems to be about Jude Law who is a solider in the American Civil War, and Nicole his love interest waiting back at "Cold Mountain" for his return. Renee, im not too sure about her, she seems to befriend Nicole back at home during Nicole's financial/emotional difficulties she faces being stranded with her man fighting a war they "dont believe in". Seems to be an epic type love story/struggle - i cant decide if i want to see it or not...so perhaps ill wait until the dvd comes out and ill rent it.
Converting to the Cult of Asparagus..
Cold Mountain is set in 1864 at the end of the American Civil War. It is the story of Inman (Law), a wounded and weary Confederate soldier who deserts to walk the long distance back home to Ada (Kidman), the southern belle whom he began a tentative romance with before leaving four years prior to fight. She is struggling to survive on a failed farm after her father's death and receives help in the form of a spirited mountain girl named Ruby (Zellweiger).

I have been a fan of Charles Fraser's wonderful book for many years and the movie is equally excellent. Jude is fabulous at capturing the heroic spirit of Inman and Nicole transends her own beauty to give Ada a warm heart and steely courage. Renee is on par with her co-stars, although I wish there was a lesser lean towards humor in her portrayal of Ruby.

I highly recommend the film to everyone.
Quote:Originally posted by Unregistered
...Ada (Kidman), the southern belle...

Ha! Highly subject to opinion! :laugh:

Naturally, I had no desire to see the movie. Then I found out that Natalie Portman is in it! Does her character have a big role? I'd hate to subject myself to a Kidman film just to see Porman for like 7 minutes.
I have literally just come back from seeing this movie.. and came straight here to dig up this thread.

It's amazing. I really didn't think it was going to be this good. The acting was of the highest quality - from Ingman and Aida all the way down to the soldier who covered up the baby.

Athena is right about the crying. I cried more or less every 20 minutes throughout the film. Some of the issues are just terrifying. There are so many pieces that touch right to your inside.

Yes, maybe a little too much sex and gore.

I didn't realise Natalie Portman was in it, but now I think I know who she played. If I'm right, she's in it for... uh, I'd say 15 minutes or so, and plays one of the people that Ingman meets on his way. If it helps, you get to see her in a nightie :tongue:

I wasn't too keen on seeing this film to begin with, and only went to see it with my parents because I've spent hardly any time with them recently. But I know I'll be thinking about it for a week at least.
Quote:Originally posted by Comma
I didn't realise Natalie Portman was in it, but now I think I know who she played. If I'm right, she's in it for... uh, I'd say 15 minutes or so, and plays one of the people that Ingman meets on his way. If it helps, you get to see her in a nightie :tongue:

Thanks, Comma! Nightie or not, 15 minutes isn't enough to justify the rest of the suffering! :bg:
I was completely unmoved by the movie, "Cold Mountain", but I loved the book. What spoiled the movie for me was that it seemed TOO designed to garner oscars. I was also constantly distracted by obvious sequences like Natalie Portman's confederate widow and Jena Malone's Ferry woman appearances. Those sequences seemed more like auditions (for meatier roles) rather than sincere movie making. Those roles typically go to unknowns. However, the worse thing I hated about the movie was that I never bought into the chemistry between Inman and Ada. Only Renee kept me from rolling my eyes up every 10 minutes.
Quote:Originally posted by Running Man
I was also constantly distracted by obvious sequences like Natalie Portman's confederate widow and Jena Malone's Ferry woman appearances. Those sequences seemed more like auditions (for meatier roles) rather than sincere movie making. Those roles typically go to unknowns.
That might have been unwise-ness on the part of the director to use these well-known actresses. Me, I didn't even realise who they were during the film, so that didn't spoil it for me at all. The parts they played certainly had nothing wrong in that I could see.

I also thought that the chemistry between Ingman and Ada was brilliant Confusedo:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  K2 the most dangerous mountain? Should they make a movie about this accident? badlands 3 383 January 8th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Last Post: august
  race to witch mountain badlands 3 593 November 24th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Brokeback Mountain sarahloui 54 3,840 March 18th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Lorne