The fat kids play video games
I've noticed a number of complaints in the media and such that children sitting around and playing video games all day are becoming unhealthy from not running around out side, This got me to thinking, assuming the children are playing more puzzle orrientated video games then wouldn't they be exercising their minds, being adle to pricess at a greater levle. So why is it that people get so concerned about children not exercising their bodies but are perfectly happy to neglect them exercising their minds.
Assuming that the games these kids are playing are exercising their minds is an extremely large assumption to make, if you ask me. They could very well be playing some gory shoot 'em up, where you basically blow the enemy to smitherines, or, and this one's really great, they could be playing some volley ball game where the players are women in bikinis who have large breasts (though I can definitely see how this would stimulate the mind of a 12 year old boy).
If they are playing games that truely excerise their brains, then great! That is important; I am in no way saying it's not. However, exercising your body is important as well. What people need is to find a balance between the two.
Quote:Originally posted by Niphredil
Assuming that the games these kids are playing are exercising their minds is an extremely large assumption to make, if you ask me. They could very well be playing some gory shoot 'em up, where you basically blow the enemy to smitherines, or, and this one's really great, they could be playing some volley ball game where the players are women in bikinis who have large breasts (though I can definitely see how this would stimulate the mind of a 12 year old boy).
If they are playing games that truely excerise their brains, then great! That is important; I am in no way saying it's not. However, exercising your body is important as well. What people need is to find a balance between the two.

Bareing in mind that at least the more popular shooting games have a very strong puzzle ellement as do most computer games that are actually worth playing.

The problem is that as much as you can say they may not there is very little research into the effects of video games on the mind while the the studies on how fat they can get from playing computer games has made national news a few times (at leaste in this contry).
There is nothing wrong with playing video games, but I do think it is unhealthy for children to spend all day playing them. Children should be encouraged to also get physical excercise, as well as other activities like reading books.
There are three types of people. Those that can count and those who can't.
Quote:Originally posted by DeamondBleed
Bareing in mind that at least the more popular shooting games have a very strong puzzle ellement as do most computer games that are actually worth playing.
Oh? Hmm, I suppose I could see how they would be. I wouldn't really know (I'll just take your word for it), I'm more of a Mario Kart kinda girl, myself. :bg: However much they may serve as a means for kids to use their minds to figure something out, that doesn't mean they shouldn't get physical exercise, and that doesn't mean it's ok to sit around for hours on end every day playing them....

Quote:The problem is that as much as you can say they may not there is very little research into the effects of video games on the mind while the the studies on how fat they can get from playing computer games has made national news a few times (at leaste in this contry).

Oh, I believe I've heard about those kinds of studies here in the United States as well, but I can't recall hearing of one that was based solely on kids sitting around playing video games all day (though it has been sited as part of the problem of obesity in children in the US; kids eating too much junk food [whether it's store-bought, home-made, or from a fast-food joint] is also a reason that I've heard given for the obesity of children in the USA). So I suppose if you have Kid A that sits around all day playing video games but who eats healthy foods then he may not become so obese, but if you have Kid B who sits around all day eating junk food then he does become obese.... again, I think what it all comes down to is finding a balance to live a healthy lifestyle.

Paladin - I agree with you that kids should be encouraged to pursue other interests such as reading (or learning an instrument or what have you). Thought of posting something similar to that after I'd already posted my first message in this thread, but then I forgot to....
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
there was a study a few months ago that said that people (especially kids) benefit from video games because games like counter strike and medal of honor help hone coordination and observation skills.
Farscape is Saved! Pizza and Margarita Shooters All Around!
ya but not exercising is not healthy, thus leading to thier minds not being able to funtion at their peak.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Flying personal vehicle, Jetson One Michael 0 292 October 25th, 2021, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: What the robot apocalypse may really look like Michael 0 313 September 11th, 2021, 12:50 PM
  Video: Vertical Farming in New Jersey Michael 2 817 September 11th, 2021, 12:38 AM
  Video: Making Protein from Carbon Dioxide Michael 1 477 September 11th, 2021, 12:37 AM
  Video: Texas is running out of water Michael 1 429 September 11th, 2021, 12:36 AM
  Video: The Colorado River is drying up Michael 0 277 September 11th, 2021, 12:35 AM
  Video: How To Save Land Ruined By Coal Mining Michael 0 261 September 11th, 2021, 12:22 AM
  Video: Farming the way Tolkien's elves would have Michael 1 429 June 3rd, 2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Video: May 16, 2021 60 Minutes UFO Segment Michael 2 534 May 24th, 2021, 09:53 PM
  Video: Fictional starship sizes comparison Michael 1 603 April 21st, 2021, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol