Hally Berry 's the product you push
Let's face it, all the big actions stars are gone, Bruse Wilas is making movies with children in them, Arnal Swartznarga is a govenor, which irrigardless of what you think is going to take up a fair bit of his time, Silvester Stalone seems to have vanished. Which gets me to wondering, is it conincidence that Hally Berry has gotten two super hero roels that she seems ill suited for and has been a Bond Babe, which might be getting her own spin off francise? Do you think that the movie industry is priming Hally Berry to be a new action star?
I hope not. Personally, I don't like her movies. MGM canned the proposed Jinx spinoff a few weeks back. I guess she was furious. I was rather happy, because I don't think it would have been a good thing for the 007 franchise. I believe they only considered it because she had star power, because as Bond girls go, she was the weakest yet of Brosnan's movies. Again, that's all just my opinion.
Berry has, more recently, taken on roles that show a greater bredth to her acting ability. While Jinx and Storm have been big hits for her, her other work has been impressive as well. Monster's Ball was . . . unique, to say that least. A huge deviation from the two films that brought her the most fame, X-Men and Die Another Day. Her recent psychological thriller Gothika also reflects her abilities as a cross-genre actress. While currently she is filming multiple projects, the largest one being Catwoman with herself as lead, still she is taking on other roles that allow her to build quite the impressive resume.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen a Jinx vehicle that could have taken the place of the dismal and prooly written Lara Croft's. Jinx could have been a fairly good franchise, and given us a female action hero that could have forced the Lara Croft franchise to step up to its currently wasted potential.

As for the older action stars listed by DB, yeppers, they're mostly gone. Action requires, to some degree, youth. We're seeing other stars starting to emerge as the cycle repeats itself. Will Smith, Vin Diesel (whom I like less and less the more I hear of him) and my personal favorite Dwayne Johnson are stepping up to assume the old roles of Stallone, Willis, Schwartnegger and the like.

As for the Schwartnegger question, he's pretty much through making movies for the duration. Giving his initial success in politics, he has almost resoundingly answered the question of such rumored productions of Conan and any other future movies. I'm uncertain whether this is good or bad, but it certainly answers the question. He had one movie in post-production that might demand a little of his time if any touch-up work might be necessary, but for the most part the man is done with movies for the forseeable future.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Yeah, RR. I'm not giving up on Arnie doing another Conan movie though. I'm waiting for that third Conan movie which is about the guy in his old age, still fighting it out among the villains, and sometimes outwitting them through sheer experience.
The Conan movie may go on w/o Arnie and the role is looking to be filled by The Rock's fellow wrestler friend/foe (whatever they cast the guy in that male soap opera), Triple H as being Conan's son.

The Jinx movie, while reported dead in the water seems to have got a jumpstart again.
"Some people say you are going the wrong way, when it's simply a way of your own." ~ Angelina Jolie

Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
As for the older action stars listed by DB, yeppers, they're mostly gone. Action requires, to some degree, youth.

Someone should tell Shean Connery thatWink

But seriously I'm not saying that Berry is going to be type cast as an action star, just that it seems that she is doing alot of action roles where she is an odd choice. Obviously as an actress she will do other things (Arnie did comedy for crying out loud), however I do feel that Hally Berry is building a portfolio where she will do many action movies, probably with a greater ligitimacy than other stars since although you don't really need alot of credibility to do action movies any more, you still need some.
I find that Halle operates more along the lines of Nicole Kidman-she's a buisness woman who's more interested in building a name and a pile of cash more than anything else.

Catwoman looks like it's going to be a shambles, and I haven't seen any evidence of superior acting skills from here. I guess this is where we finally disagree, RR!
Quote:Originally posted by DeamondBleed
Someone should tell Shean Connery thatWink

I did say "for the most part". Although, to be fair, Connery roles are often varied. His recent participation in such films as The Rock and LXG just reflect his longevity and ability to adapt as an actor.

Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
I find that Halle operates more along the lines of Nicole Kidman-she's a buisness woman who's more interested in building a name and a pile of cash more than anything else.

I disagree with your comments regarding Kidman. The jury, I would say, is still out on that one. While she certainly is the reigning champion of A-list stars, she strikes me more as an actress who did what she had to so that now she can do work that she wants to. I don't think that she's "more interested in building a name and a pile of cash" than she is about being an actress.

Quote:Catwoman looks like it's going to be a shambles, and I haven't seen any evidence of superior acting skills from here. I guess this is where we finally disagree, RR!

Not necessarily. I didn't back the Catwoman project as I have no information on it at all. Until it was brought up, I didn't even know that it was being shot. Berry has done some real fluff recently, but she has the capacity, as Harrison Ford did, to put in some prime performances. Hopefully, she won't choose the Ford path of least resistance, and become a one-song actress.

On the matter of Catwoman though, I simply have no opinion. We've have reports of other productions that were scheduled to be big flops (The Gangs of New York) pre-release, and turned out to be magnificent, just as we've had movies scheduled to be amazing Gigli which bomed outright. So, for the moment, I just have no opinion one way or the other due to lack of knowledge. :bg:

But if we do disagree, as we do on the Kidman issue, it's only because you haven't realized your error yet, and the fact that when it comes to movies, I'm always right. :bg:

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I did say "for the most part". Although, to be fair, Connery roles are often varied....

Oh yeah. :tongue: For example he's played a wide variety of roles... every one from a Scottish Robin Hood, a Scottish Alan Quatermain, to a Scottish King Richard of England.

Once, he even managed to play a wonderfully Scottish William of Bakerville... And who can forget his early days as the Scottish James Bond?
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
Quote:Originally posted by moif
Oh yeah. :tongue: For example he's played a wide variety of roles... every one from a Scottish Robin Hood, a Scottish Alan Quatermain, to a Scottish King Richard of England.

Once, he even managed to play a wonderfully Scottish William of Bakerville... And who can forget his early days as the Scottish James Bond?

Hey, it worked for John Wayne and it works for Sean.:tongue:

I'm not complaining.

But as to the newer gen of action stars... I think that's what Van Diesel and Jennifer Gerner were doing.

Halle is just another pretty face. I don't think she'll ever be as good at the action stuff as Jen.
:alien: Sci-Fi needs reality TV as much as it needs a Hammer! :mad:
Quote:Originally posted by moif

Well, yes, he does use the same accent. But I don't think we should fault the man for that. He has played a myriad of roles, including Finding Forrester, Playing By Heart. Just Cause, Medicine Man, The Russia House, In the Name of the Rose, The Man Who Would Be King and so forth. Most of the above an not action, the characters have depth, and are made intriguing by Connery's portrayal. While he certainly doesn't lend the breadth of characterization that say Sean Penn or Sean Bean might lend, his roles have been more than simply scottish versions of something.

Actually on second thoughts, I did like Connery in 'The Name of the Rose'... but then, that is an exceptional film... :up:
But if we do disagree, as we do on the Kidman issue, it's only because you haven't realized your error yet, and the fact that when it comes to movies, I'm always right. :bg:

Ha! (I know that I'm always right when it comes to movies) :laugh:

I absolutely hate it when people bash movies before they come out, so I honestly try not to do too much of it. Because, like you said, somethings can be a surprise in the end. Even so, the stuff I've seen of Catwoman is so bad that I can't help but pass judgement. Several people have commented that the suit looks like something an exotic dancer would wear, and I tend to agree. While Catwoman certainly does have that aspect to her, blowing it out of proportion is a shortcoming that severly cripples the effectiveness of the movie.

As for Nicole Kidman, that's just a personal thing with me. I can't stand her. She makes me cringe. (I see we don't have a "puke" emoticon Wink ) But most people think she's beautiful and talented. Which may very well be. What do I know, anyway? :laugh:
As for Nicole Kidman, that's just a personal thing with me. I can't stand her. She makes me cringe. (I see we don't have a "puke" emoticon Wink ) But most people think she's beautiful and talented. Which may very well be. What do I know, anyway? :laugh:

Yep.

Okay... maybe not as bad as to make me puke... but I've yet to be impressed by her. She's a fine actor... but she bores me senseless...

Halle Berry though.... :tongue:
I still liked Halle's performance in Alex Haley's Queen. I thought she gave a good performance in that movie, even if it was a tv movie on CBS some years back. Which often surprises me when I see her performance in anything else which has yet to really catch my attention like she did in Queen.
"Some people say you are going the wrong way, when it's simply a way of your own." ~ Angelina Jolie

Ha! (I know that I'm always right when it comes to movies) :laugh:

See, once again, you're wrong. But that's ok, I won't fault you too much. We can't all be perfect like me. :lol:

Quote:I absolutely hate it when people bash movies before they come out, so I honestly try not to do too much of it. Because, like you said, somethings can be a surprise in the end. Even so, the stuff I've seen of Catwoman is so bad that I can't help but pass judgement. Several people have commented that the suit looks like something an exotic dancer would wear, and I tend to agree. While Catwoman certainly does have that aspect to her, blowing it out of proportion is a shortcoming that severly cripples the effectiveness of the movie.

Agreed. I haven't seen anything, so I don't know. But if you have, then we do appreciate the heads-up. I will begin with low expectations, and hopefully build from there. :bg:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why isn't there a cartoon about commercial product mascots? badlands 5 375 June 21st, 2017, 04:15 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Trailer for "Push" Michael 2 503 February 7th, 2009, 05:17 AM
  Chris Evans: Doing "Fantastic Four" helped with "Push" Michael 0 437 August 29th, 2008, 12:43 AM
  First photo of Halle Berry as Catwoman Mirage 22 1,486 October 16th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Boomstick