Taur-im-Duinath & the great primeval Forest of Eriador
In the Silmarillion and its map of Beleriand, a great forest called Taur-im-Duinath is indicated to the southeast, extending southward off the map and out of the story. None of the action ever takes place there and no one is said to dwell there save "a few Dark Elves wandering".

The name is stated actually to mean "The Forest Between the Rivers", i.e. between Sirion and lower Gelion, which also passes well to the south off the map before it finds the Sea. Technically then Taur-im-Duinath properly only applies to that forest west of Gelion.

My question: is there at this time yet more forest continuing across to the east side of Gelion down there in its unexplored southern reaches? Was Taur-im-Duinath in fact the northernmost extension into East Beleriand of the great forests that in the Elder Days once covered the lands later called Eriador and Calenardhon, that Elrond and Treebeard described in LOTR, and that Tar-Aldarion and his successors decimated building ships for Numenor in the later Second Age? Was it from Taur-im-Duinath that Treebeard once in very ancient times emerged into Beleriand to walk in Ossiriand, Neldoreth, and Dorthonion (as he described singing to Merry and Pippin)?
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Taur-im-Duinath is almost due east of the Gwathlo. I doubt very much Tolkien envisioned it being directly connected to the great forests of Minhiriath and Enedwaith.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Middle-earth and the Great Plague Michael 7 180 April 6th, 2020, 02:48 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Did the Rangers make the paths in the Old Forest? Mordomin 4 241 December 3rd, 2019, 11:19 PM
  Might the cellars that the Mewlips inhabit be the ruins of the old forest roads city? Darnokthemage 2 151 December 3rd, 2019, 09:53 PM
  The Fourth Great Ring Elenmir 10 528 December 13th, 2017, 12:44 PM
  New Interview: John Garth, author of Tolkien and the Great War Michael 0 476 June 15th, 2012, 05:05 PM
  great wave badlands 6 802 April 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
  Thesis by Laura Ann Hess: Roads to the Great Eucatastrophie: The Christian ... Michael 2 772 December 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
  NW England kids to create Ent heads November 15 in Grizedale Forest Michael 13 1,494 October 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Attalus
  Great-grandson of Lord of the Rings author cleared of drug dealing Michael 0 1,172 September 24th, 2007, 02:36 PM
  J.R.R. Tolkien great-grandson on trial for selling drugs Michael 0 1,561 September 22nd, 2007, 11:40 AM