30 Days of Night (w/ Voice, Mauser, Creegan and Lily!) 5th #1 film in a row!

This is from some comic-book website, the URL of which escapes me...

Monday 21st October 2002:
30 Days Of Night Update:

Writer Steve Niles has been revealing some information on the adaptation of his comic book property 30 Days of Night that has been optioned by Spiderman director Sam Raimi. "I'm having the time of my life (I'm working with the guy who made the Evil Dead movies for god's sake!) Raimi is a dream to work with. He's completely dedicated to the material and his only interest is getting the right story down. Plus, he's funny as hell. I never knew that about him. He keeps me laughing in all the meetings. Too many (surprises) to list, but it's a good thing! I like changing my work, improving it and seeing where one thing can lead to another. The main story has remained completely true to the original idea. It's a simple idea and I think it works best that way. The most surprises have come while fleshing out the characters. They've become a lot more complex than (we had time for) in the comic. Mostly I feel this amazing sense of breathing space and elbow room."

August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
[Image: 19756330days_MOVIElg.jpg]

This was a press release last summer:

30 Days of Night Optioned
Sam Raimi Will Produce Movie Based on Horror Comic

July 16, 2002

Senator International, a Hollywood studio that specializes in moderately budgeted genre pictures, has optioned 30 Days Of Night, a three-issue horror comic series written by Steve Niles and published by IDW. Spider-Man helmer Sam Raimi, who cut his eyeteeth on low-budget shockers like Evil Dead and Army of Darkness, will produce but not direct, since he is committed to the Spider-Man sequel. Mike Richardson of Dark Horse Comics, who shopped 30 Days of Night around Hollywood through CAA, will serve as executive producer on the film.

Unlike most of the comic book properties that have been optioned this summer 30 Days of Night contains no superheroes. Set in a remote Alaskan village that faces 30 sunless days in the depth of winter, the story centers around a husband and wife sheriff and deputy team, who have to deal with an onslaught of vampires who thrive in the sun-free Alaskan winter. It is reassuring that non-superhero titles like Road to Perdition, From Hell, Ghost World, and now 30 Days of Night are getting attention in Hollywood, since Tinseltown has demonstrated a tendency to embrace and then reject spandex-clad heroes as sequels to films like Batman and Superman failed to deliver on the promise of the originals.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Another old press release:

Raimi Sinking Teeth Into Vampire Saga
Tue Jul 16, 5:20 AM ET
By Claude Brodesser

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - "30 Days of Night," a comic book series about
vampires who invade a town near the Arctic Circle, is being turned
into a film by "Spider-Man" director Sam Raimi.

The filmmaker and production partner Rob Tapert will produce the
picture for German producer Senator Intl., which clinched the rights
to the series Monday.

Raimi told Daily Variety the project is "so unlike the horror films
of recent years," describing it as the story of a couple that loves
each other and "happen to be the sheriffs of this little town."

The 'little town' in question is Barrow, Alaska, a remote burg near
the arctic circle that spends nearly a month in darkness. When it is
overrun with vampires, the husband and wife law enforcement team must
choose between saving themselves and helping the town band together
and survive the onslaught until the sun returns.

The deal calls for "30 Days of Night" creator Steve Niles to adapt
his three-book comic for the big screen, which he says will "be very
liberating.

"Writing comic books is all about 'freezing the moment.' So just to
see these people move around and talk will be refreshing," he
explained. "In the comic book, I could only show one instance of
their love for each other, because it would take about two pages (of
story board). Now, there's so much more room to develop these
characters."

Raimi, who championed the project, will produce "30 Days of Night"
alongside Tapert, but said he will not direct, citing an intense pre-
production process on the sequel to Columbia's "Spider-Man."

From the Dark Horizons website:

"30 Days" Still Months Away
Posted: Tuesday March 2nd, 2004 3:30am (US-PST)

Author: Garth Franklin
Source:

The Anchorage Press reports that the adaptation of Steve Niles' comic book mini-series about vampires in Alaska during the time of the midnight sun looks to be on hold whilst another writer gets to work on it.

Sam Raimi has plans to produce the film under his production company Ghost House banner, but shooting is at least a year away probably longer according to a company rep. GH plans to release three other movies before '30 Days' which will be handled by Columbia Pictures in the US

About the rewriting of his script, Niles says "Another writer coming on is standard operating procedure. I'm in contact with the writer and he's cool and wants to preserve the story from the comic... probably more than my script even did. I still have faith. The year off thing is good too. It's the first time we've heard anything close to a date. I think at this rate, Wake the Dead will make it to the screen first".

Niles fans can be heartened by the fact Columbia is in the process of acquiring another of his script after originally passing on it last year.

Thanks to 'KarlChilders'.

I find it interesting they say GH has three movies that might be released before "30 Days of Night". I know of "The Boogeyman" and "The Grudge". But I've heard nothing of another movie! I wonder what it might be?

Dave
From Scifi.com wire

Quote:30 Days Moves Forward

Rob Tapert, who is producing the film adaptation of Steve Niles' supernatural graphic novel 30 Days of Night, told SCI FI Wire that the author has read the script and was pleased with its faithfulness to the original story.....

30 Days of Night is a vampire story set in the Arctic Circle, where it remains dark for a month each winter. Tapert is shepherding the project under the banner of Ghost House Pictures, the production company he formed with friend and partner Sam Raimi (Spider-Man). Though the company was formed with the idea of making quality low-budget horror films, Tapert said the exotic setting of 30 Days of Night will likely drive up the cost of production. "Because it was such an expensive process, such an expensive movie to make, all set in the snow, we—Ghost House and our partners at Senator Entertainment—partnered right away with Sony on it, because it was going to be a $50 or $60 or $70 million movie," Tapert said...."

For the rest, go here.

I wonder where they plan on filming this movie. My first thought would be New Zealand. But do they have a location that could recreate Artic conditions? I also wonder what Hollywood actors they are going to get to spend snow bound, on location, for two or three months?

Dave
Actually, they do. :bg: "Vertical Limit" was filmed in the Alps-like snowy mountains of NZ (although a fair amount was done via cgi in the studio) with a relatively big name cast: Chris O'Donnell, Bill Paxton, Scott Glenn and Robin Tunney.

Skiing is big enough in NZ that I'm sure they have all kinds of snow lodges and so forth there, for the actors to stay in. Arctic films aren't overly common, but they manage to get actors to film them. Kurt Russell in "The Thing" comes to mind. Of course, it would be supremely cool if they could get some NZer's as the leads. Karl Urban is getting big for example... ditto for Marton Csokas, although he's not at the hero level yet. And I think it's high time that delicious little Anna Paquin returns to her roots! Shoot, add Sam Neill as a villain, and that actress who used to do that show..Lucy something... and there's quite a powerful cast!
Speaking of "Vertical Limit" - it's on FX tonight, Mon. 10/18, at 8 PM EDT, and tomorow, Tues. 10/19 at 3:30 PM EDT.
From Sci-Fi Wire, it appears that one David Slade has gotten the gig to direct "30 Days." His previous credits are a couple of music videos, a short film, and a film that wowed 'em at Sundance called "Hard Candy." (Looks like RT and co. were doing a lot more at Sundance than pitching a Xena movie! :laugh: )

Quote:David Slade is directing Columbia Pictures' adaptation of Steve Niles' comic-book series 30 Days of Night for Ghost House Pictures, Variety reported. Ghost House is a genre label founded by Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert and jointly owned by Mandate Pictures.

30 Days of Night is set in Barrow, Alaska, a town where, in the middle of winter, the sun sets and does not rise again for more than 30 days. When an evil force terrifies the town's residents, all hopes are pinned on the local sheriffs, a husband-and-wife team, who must choose between saving themselves and helping the town survive the siege, which will last until daylight returns. No screenwriter has yet been hired, the trade paper reported.

Read the rest here.

Tee-niny bit of news, from http://www.comingsoon.net :

Quote:ComingSoon.net spoke to Slade about his vision for the film, which starts shooting in the summer in Alaska and New Zealand. "Brian Nelson's writing the script, so that means we have a very original take on the genre," he said. "Indeed, I don't believe there's much of the genre left in what we've written, but it's very faithful both to Steve Niles' writing, and the town and the esthetic--we hope at this point, because we're not shooting until the summer--will be very close to Ben Templesmith's artwork. But we're going to maintain the level of realism."
According to SciFi Wire , the leisurely pre-production phase continues. Shooting may start on July 11th. But they're definitely shooting in NZ.

Quote:Slade said he would shoot from a new draft script by Brian Nelson, his writer on the non-genre Candy. Earlier drafts of the script came from Niles and from Collateral writer Stuart Beattie.

"There is a degree of responsibility to Ben Templesmith's artwork, which will be reflected in the production design, absolutely," Slade told the site. "There were three drafts written before I came to this project, and I believe that Brian's draft is the most faithful to Steve Niles' writing, and Steve has been in the loop."

Slade added: "We're faced with a tremendous task, which is making a scary vampire film. There aren't many of them. You can count them on two fingers," Salem's Lot and Nosferatu. "The rest of them, they fall into all kinds of traps. We're going to try to do our best to make a third one, and one of the ways we have to do it is to be more naturalistic than the graphic novel, because it's very over-the-top."

No casting has been done yet either.
This is another one of those things I seem to have missed until now. Steve Niles tends to be a good comic book writer, IMO. I'm surprised Niles didn't write the script, IIRC, he's written films in the past.
[COLOR="Navy"]The good news is that even the most minute details about the slooooow pre-production are making the national news. Apparently Josh Hartnett is in negotiations to play the lead. He's a star and a decent actor...but not Tom Cruise/Brad Pitt caliber...and he hasn't even signed yet, but it's still making news.

Quote:Penned by Stuart Beattie and Brian Nelson, the screenplay is set in Barrow, Alaska, the northernmost town in the U.S., where the sun does not appear for more than 30 days during the dead of winter.

An evil force emerges from the darkness, striking terror in the town. The local sheriffs -- a husband (Hartnett)-and-wife team -- are forced to choose between saving themselves and helping the town survive until daylight returns. The studio is looking for a female lead.

Shooting is set to begin in early August in New Zealand, with Ghost House Pictures' Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert producing.....

Hartnett, who most recently starred in "Lucky Number Slevin," is filming "Resurrecting the Champ" and next appears in "The Black Dahlia." His credits include "Wicker Park," "Black Hawk Down" and "Pearl Harbor."

Rest is here.

[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]The long-anticipated film that was set to start shooting in July (above) ....is now set to begin shooting in August. :bounce:

From Stuff.co.nz:

Quote:Vampires are coming to Wanaka in the latest big-budget movie to be shot at the Waiorau Snow Farm.

The film 30 Days of Night will start production in Auckland next month and parts of it will be shot at the snow farm in mid-August....

It is to be directed by David Slade and shot partly in Alaska, with a budget said to be up to $70 million.

[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]
According to ComingSoon.net, quoting info at her website, an Australian actress named Melissa George, who used to be in "Alias," as well as the remake of "Amityville Horror" and the old show "Roar," will be the female lead.

Quote:In a sleepy, secluded Alaska town called Barrow, the sun sets and doesn't rise for over thirty consecutive days and nights. From the darkness, across the frozen wasteland, an evil will come that will bring the residents of Barrow to their knees. The only hope for the town is the Sheriff (Hartnett) and Deputy (George), a husband and wife who are torn between their own survival and saving the town they love.

They are aiming at an October 19, 2007 release. :eek: OK, so five years in the making isn't too bad...

[/COLOR]
Check out Rob Tapert on site in NZ scouting locations! Click here for a clip from the Ghost House site, and links to earlier clips featuring some behind-the-scenes folks.
[COLOR="Navy"]

From Inside NZ Film, the blog of actor Bruce Hopkins, aka Jake Logan!

Quote:A few weeks back I auditioned ( unsuccessfully I can now add!!! ) for a role in a new Sam Raimi / Robert Tapert blood fest! 30 Days Of Night. The reason I know I did not get the role I auditioned for, even though I know I would have been brilliant!, is that it has now started shooting and I just spoke to 2 of the more senior stunt performers today. These two guys form part of the core component of why offshore production companies come here to shoot.

They are superb at their job, doing stunts, but they are also bloody nice people. They also happen to have done it all, Lord Of The Rings, King Kong, The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, The Last Samurai etc etc,... they said from their point of view 30 Days of Night is a huge job. Anyone familiar with the Raimi/Tapert history of film making will know that they are a couple of the masters at the genre, and don't pull any punches when they make their horror flicks. They were also almost single handedly responsible for hauling NZ film makers into the lime light of the global audience, when they chose to come to NZ to make the TV productions, Hercules and Xena. Of course Rob Tapert went on to marry Lucy Lawless who snared the role of Xena. Lucy and Rob have a couple of kids so Rob is pretty much an honourary kiwi!

Back in the day, it was always a buzz to get a call informing me I had scored a role in an episode of either Herc or Xena, they were truely fun shows to work on, and it was always bloody great to spend a few days with mates who were crewing the shows. So these guys, Sam and Rob, created what was a golden era for the local film/TV production scene. I have many friends in the crews and production side of things, who purchased houses because for the first time in their careers they had a regular and decent income.

Cheers Rob and Sam for coming back. The fact that David Slade (Hard Candy)is directing immediately raises the interest level. To have a look at the details of 30 Days of Night click here.

[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]Also in the cast are Manu Bennett (he played Antony on XWP) and Nathaniel Lees (he played many roles in Ren Pics shows, including Cheiron, the centaur teacher at the Academy. And from about a hundred sites today (they are really hyping this thing like crazy!) "Danny Huston will play the leader of a horde of vampires." They also confirm that Josh Hartnett and Melissa George are playing the husband and wife.

Huston is the son of John Huston, director of everything from "The Maltese Falcon" to "The African Queen," and so Angelica's half-brother. At one point he was married to Virginia Madsen. He's been in a bunch of films including the upcoming Marie Antoinette film w/ Kirsten Dunst, "The Constant Gardener," "The Aviator," and "21 Grams."

Check this quote out: "Shooting is scheduled to begin this month in New Zealand." :angry: Sheesh - what is the deal???

[/COLOR]
According to creator Steve Niles at the latest update at the Ghost House site, shooting finally began on Oct. 4th.
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]It's twue, it's twue!

According to the latest cast list at the IMDB, Elizabeth Hawthorne is now in the cast (no character listed though) ... Joel Tobeck is playing a character named Doug Hertz, and Kate Elliott is playing the memorably-named .... "Vampire #3." :poke:

Behind the scenes, "Cleo" producer Chloe Smith (who was line producer/production mgr. for "Boogeyman," XWP, the Herc movies and even "The Piano") is co-producer, and Charlie Haskell (long-time director for HTLJ, "Jack," "Young Herc," XWP, "Lawless: Dead Evidence," "Maddigan's Quest," and most of the recent Power Rangers shows) is the 2nd unit director.

They are now about half-way through principal shooting, and they continue to do video blog updates at the official site.

[/COLOR]

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Josh Becker's new film "Warpath" opens in Royal Oak, MI Th. 9/26! august 4 706 September 30th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Last Post: august
  Josh Becker is back in action with "Morning, Noon and Night august 4 681 June 6th, 2019, 08:33 AM
  Will Carrie be a Renaissance film? badlands 5 687 October 6th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Nightspore
  Bruce on his voice work in the Amazing Spider-Man video game august 0 521 July 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM
  Gerardmer Film Festival Award-winning Alien Apocalypse on Syfy Tues. 12/20 @ 11 PM august 60 8,461 December 20th, 2011, 05:34 PM
  The Fall of Sam Axe (Bruce's Burn Notice prequel film) on USA Fr. 11/25 august 18 4,008 November 15th, 2011, 02:13 AM
  Bruce's voice in Cloudy w/ a Chance of Meatballs (which opened at # 1) on Cartoon Ch. august 8 1,449 November 15th, 2011, 02:10 AM
  The Ant Bully (featuring Bruce's voice) on HBO Sun. 11/20 @ 7 AM ladyDonna 16 1,320 November 15th, 2011, 02:05 AM
  30 Days of Night: Dark Days w/ Kiele Sanchez + Katharine Isabelle on Syfy Th. 11/10 august 8 2,690 November 9th, 2011, 02:12 AM
  The Grudge 2 (3rd Ghost House film in a row to open at #1) on F/X 10/26 + 10/27 august 23 3,046 April 5th, 2011, 05:37 PM