Once Upon A Time in Mexico
Who else here loves the El-Mariachi movies? Anyway, this is the third installation to El Mariachi and Desperado where JOHNNY DEPP is playing a really bad dude Agent Sands, and of course Banderas returns as the angst stricken guitar player killer machine, also stars Salma Hayek, and Eva Mendez, the reviews were awesome too, especially about Johnny, he's on a roll ain't he? :bg: It opens tomorrow in the US and next week here in Malaysia CAN'T WAIT!
Man who drop watch in toilet bound to have shitty time
I've been waiting for this one for a while! I would have seen it opening day, but a friend of mine who wants to see it with me is out of town for the weekend. So maybe I'll wait, maybe not. Smile
I haven't seen El Mariachi, but thoroughly enjoyed Desperado. I have some friends who would be attracted to the style of something like Once Upon a Time in Mexico and so will probably try to get to see it at the cinema.

I've never believed Antonio is the most convincing actor in the world, but I find his charm and on screen presence makes him very watchable. I loved his over the top performance as Miguel Bane in Assassins, and so that's a movie I've added to my DVD collection.

I'm certainly looking forward to Once Upon a Time in Mexico, mostly for the style its predecessors established. And Johnny Depp and Antonio together should make for a very interesting on-screen relationship between the two.
"So they were told when the moon would rise, the best time to leave with your soul, she's gone but towards the light, watching her whole life unfold..." Crowded House - Catherine Wheels
I haven't seen El Matriarchi or Desperado. But it has Johnny Depp, so I might go out and see it.
Life sucks. Unless bad things happen, you can't be sure you're actually alive.
I saw Mexico last night, and enjoyed it very much! I have to say that it wasn't at all what I expected. I think you can see where Rodriguez may have been influenced by Tarentino, because the plot of the movie is not unlike that of a Tarentino one. It's got lots of characters whos stories all play out and come to a close at the end of the movie. I expected it to be more centralized on El Mariachi and Sands (Depp's character), but I was still pleased with the movie and had a good time watching it. Johnny Depp plays a great character. Sands is ruthless and admirable at the same time, I think.
I wouldn't see it again, but it was enjoyable while it lasted. The part at the end where Depp is suiting up in that pseudo cowboy gear? So sweet. Depp is the man!
Aboard an old pirate ship made of wet souls, we plunder and pillage from north to south poles. We only steal metal like guns, tanks and toasters, we melt it all down and we make rollercoasters!
Yessir! Depp has been one of my favorites for some years now, it's nice to see him getting some acclaim after being one of the best actors in the biz for years.

The reason I like him so much is that he's really not Hollywood. He's a star, but not into alot of the bs of being a star. He doesn't even live in the States perminatly as I understand it.
FINALLY, I watched it! And I absolutely loved it, yes i definitely see how much terentino influenced rr, (blood, gore, senseless killing, violence anyone?) :bg: not that it was anything new, cuz he did stick to the whole 'ambience' of desperado, and i thought it was a fitting end to the desperado trilogy, and Agent Sands is a totally hilarious bad@#$!!!!!!!!! ANyone noticed him saying savvy while he was talking to mariachi? And i loved the part when he was blind in the cab, where the taxi driver says "I drop you here." and he says, "Cant you see I'm blind? I have no EYES!" and I loved the relationship he developed with the boy *sobs* Remember the line when the boy first approached him selling chewing gum, "Why would I want that? Why would I want chewing gum?" I was laughing so hard cuz Johnny looked so funny!

As entertaining as it was, I was a teenie bit dissappointed with a few things,
To view, use your mouse to select the text:

1. I was kinda annoyed with the whole eva mendes thing, i felt the character doesnt really contribute anything to the whole plot, i mean, what does sands need from her anyway? i mean, they already had a way to get to the president, maybe i need someone to clarify this to me.

2. I was kinda dissappointed how they captured mariachi so easily! i felt the whole mariachi got hit by the tranquilizer thingy and brought to the general was kinda useless SINCE he escaped anyway, other than showing the nut-crushing scene.

3. And was a bit dissappointed cuz Sands didnt get enough shooting scenes, I mean, he was all dressed up with no one to kill, oh and mariachi as well, his shooting sprees were dramatically short and fast.

4. And they could've done much much better with the General, I mean, they didnt establish his 'meanness' enough cuz he didnt even have any lines! Did he? Cuz maybe I missed it

Other than that, I absolutely loved it :bg:
I agree with your dislikes and share your questions. I liked the movie, but felt that it could have been tightened up a bit. I didn't see the need to tell the story with the flashbacks. I would have liked a more straightforward approach, but it's all good in the end.
but i loved the flashbacks! well not all of em, only the parts when they dangled off the building and got married, it was as if a glimpse for a whole new other movie! but yeah, the flashbacks were a teeny bit too long and reacurring. (probably aimed at those people who havent seen desperado)
Oh, I liked them too. I'm not saying they should have cut that material out, I just think it would have worked better if it was presented in a linear manner, not all here and there.
oh right! yeah the flashback sequences could have been better, yep i agree.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About time badlands 1 122 July 14th, 2022, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Time Travel Movies BloggerBunny_25 1 482 July 3rd, 2021, 11:02 AM
  Video: Trailer for "No Time to Die" Michael 0 487 December 3rd, 2019, 10:17 PM
  Which is best Comedy Movies to watch in free time? geekguy1829 1 1,003 September 17th, 2019, 12:18 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Which is the best Hollywood movies to watch in my free time? geeknerd360 2 1,080 September 5th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Once Upon a Time in the West Boomstick 50 4,641 December 3rd, 2018, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  that time I unexpectedly met Peter from the Narnia films august 3 500 April 9th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Adelitas of Mexico, Movie badlands 1 353 October 2nd, 2017, 12:10 PM
  Why there isn't a cool time stopper movie?? 5thkind 5 905 January 11th, 2016, 07:02 AM
  Video: Flight From Shadow (WHEEL OF TIME fan film) FilmGuy 4 763 November 17th, 2015, 01:49 PM