The Fabric Thread
Woo, backpacks out of upholstery material! That sounds gorgeous! Do you have a pattern for these, or do you just make it up as you go? What is the sewing like? Is it difficult going through all the weight?

Your slubbed rayon sounds great too. I actually just got rid of a whole bunch of that stuff. I had had in mind to make SCA clothing out of it, but I'm not doing much SCA any more, and the fabric was threatening to move me out of the house so it had to go.

The last fabric I bought was some beautiful blue, green and purple batiks I used for my son's wedding quilt. I made a Storm at Sea, and was just finishing the binding this past weekend, when I discovered I blundered on the piping width and now have to pick All 378 INCHES OUT!!

Grrr...

BTW, nice to see you Maci. Smile I'm surprised how many of the old crowd still hang about here.
Buying and collecting fabric is the goal. If you actually DO something with it, you're an overachiever.
:goodjob:

Hey hey Ebz (and Maciliel)
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
Awww, I was hoping to find that moif had taken up sewing when I saw his name in this thread. :bg:
Oooo Ebony--the "Storm at Sea" quilt sounds gorgeous! And I think I know the batiks you mean--the discount/bolt end fabric store down the street from me has bunches of these! I made a sun dress out of a hot pink, purple & yellow last year. I want to make some simple cap sleeve dresses that show off the fabric. They seem to come in 2 types of fabric--the more traditional, slightly stiffer cotton, and a softer cotton.

I'm sorry you have to pick out the seams! I had to do that with a backpack this spring (but not 378 inches!).

I make up my own backpack patterns. I try to hide/disguise the zipper. On one of them has the zipper to the main compartment down the center of the side that faces my back so if I'm wearing it, no one can get into it. On another I have a compartment for my laptop on the side facing my back.

It IS hard to sew through all the fabric--especially as I make them completely lined and also interlined with 1/8 inch foam. I then top stitch to create a gentle trapunto effect which helps them be sturdy so they stand up on their own & don't fall over, look like a kids sports/book bag. I also bind all the seams--this is the real struggle. Fortunately my sewing machine is a 1946 Singer which remains a BEAST. I treat it with tender loving care. It is my most cherished possession--it was my mom's when she was a girl & she gave it to me when I moved out.
"Any patch of sunlight in a wood will show you something about the sun which you could never get from reading books on astronomy. These pure and spontaneous pleasures are 'patches of Godlight' in the woods of our experience."
C.S. Lewis
Ooooh, fabric! I just bought some fabric yesterday. Well, first a backstory: My mom and I went on a quilter's retreat this past weekend, and we all had a Secret Angel (like Secret Santa), and we bought presents for each other. One of the presents that we had to buy was a yard of fabric. I actually got two yards (cause my Secret Angel really loves me, hehe) of a pretty green print with blue hearts all over it, and a stripe from the same collection. So yesterday, my mom and I went to Joann's and I bought a yard of the other fabrics in the collection. They're not sitting in my closet, they're in a pile on my bedroom floor. Not sure yet what I'll do with them.

I also bought some flannel yesterday. I made a Rail Fence raggy quilt out of bright pink, purple, and a lighter purple print of little frogs in bathrobes and bunny slippers. Needed the extra flannel to add a piano key border to the top and bottom to make the quilt bigger (although it has turned out to be bigger than I thought, so I may leave the extra borders off... not sure yet).

I'm also working on a hand-pieced tumbling blocks quilt. I have about fifteen little blocks done so far. And though they're not quilting related, yesterday I bought one needlepoint kit from Joann's (but it was fifty percent off) and today I bought two crewel embroidery kits from Hobby Lobby. But I had a birthday gift card and a forty percent off coupon so I just had to buy something. So many projects, so little time.

Ebony ~ I'd love to see pictures of your New York Beauty and Storm at Sea! I love batiks. That's too bad about the binding, though. I hope it doesn't take you too long to fix it.
Niphredil! I love tumbling blocks patterns--it's my favorite quilt pattern! And hand pieced! Years ago I started a variation on a tumbling blocks pattern making it out of pieces of old ties. I never finished it though. I have two or three hexagons done. It was so time consuming I just petered out. You go girl!
"Any patch of sunlight in a wood will show you something about the sun which you could never get from reading books on astronomy. These pure and spontaneous pleasures are 'patches of Godlight' in the woods of our experience."
C.S. Lewis
HI COCO! Have you written any new poetry?
C.S. Lewis
Hullo maciliel!

I did poemize somewhere in the fanfic and poems forum... think I resurrected an old thread to do it.

Missed you guys! YOu even managed to drag moif out of the blue!

It's like mostly just me and Mordomin doing a two man act lately, with Alvin quipping in.
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
moif Wrote::goodjob:

Hey hey Ebz (and Maciliel)
MOIF!!!
:trio: :wave: :love: :bounce: :party: :bg: :hellohands: :hug:

I thought you'd given up forums forever. Hmm, I think I'm gonna start a catch up thread. Hope to see you and catch up a little there.
Buying and collecting fabric is the goal. If you actually DO something with it, you're an overachiever.
Maci, your backpacks sound wonderful! I'd love to see a picture. They do sound a bit hard to make though - probably beyond my skill. I did get a new sewing machine (a Janome Memory Craft 6600p http://www.janome.com/index.cfm/Machines...al/MC6600P ). I love it, but don't know if it could handle the weight you're talking about. Those old Singers were wonderful machines!

Hi Phred! Did I know you're a quilter too? Or is this new? Sounds like you had a great retreat. I'm going on one in June and really looking forward - aren't they the best?

I did get all the binding picked off the storm at sea, and a new one sewn on. Now I'm in the process of hand stitching the binding down. I'll try to get some pictures, if I can make myself think of it when I am at home (I tend to get brain dead in the evening).
Hi Maciliel! :hello: I'm really enjoying these tumbling blocks. My mom had started one years ago using the English paper-piecing technique, and I thought "ooh, I'd like one of those," but I got side-tracked with other projects. But in February a quilt guild about 40 miles to the north of us had a quilt show, with vendors. One of the vendors had a product called "Stamps By Kate" (you can see their website here). The stamps come in all different shapes--diamonds, hexagons, triangles, etc.--and the little kit came with a stamp pad, and all you do is stamp directly on the fabric and you have your sewing and cutting lines. It's so much fun and so easy!

Ebony Wrote:Hi Phred! Did I know you're a quilter too? Or is this new? Sounds like you had a great retreat. I'm going on one in June and really looking forward - aren't they the best?

I did get all the binding picked off the storm at sea, and a new one sewn on. Now I'm in the process of hand stitching the binding down. I'll try to get some pictures, if I can make myself think of it when I am at home (I tend to get brain dead in the evening).

Hi Ebony! I don't know if you knew I was a quilter... I've only been doing it for a couple of years, and I don't think I ever had occasion to mention it here. The retreat was a lot of fun. The lady who organized is already planning another one for the fall. :bg:

That's good you got the binding off. Is it getting warm up where you are? I like doing binding, but not during the summer, and we're already getting up to ninety degrees down here. Which figures, because I just got a quilt back from the quilter today. I'm really excited, it turned out just beautiful! I used Moda's Faded Memories line; it's very cottage-y and cozy. I'm not very happy with the quilter though; the last time I got a quilt back from her it smelled like dog breath (she has two large dogs, one of which is just an idiot), but I think someone must have said something about that to her because my quilt smells like she put some kind of perfume or spray on it and it's giving me a headache. :worry: Hopefully once it airs out a bit it won't be so bad.
That's too bad about your quilts coming back smelly. I would try hanging it outdoors for a day if you can. Hopefully that will get rid of the smell.

The last dog we had really made our house smelly, and it was really embarrassing at times, and hard to get rid of. Thankfully our new dog is not as smelly.

I got my binding finished, and was able to take the quilt to my guild meeting on Saturday to show it off. I hung it up on the back wall of the classroom. It was really the first time I've seen the whole thing together (I just don't have any large enough space anywhere in my house to lay it out), and I'm really happy with how it turned out. Just have to sew the label on now.
Oh my--that's yuck about the doggy smell! And then the perfume! I can't even stand scented laundry detergent. (Tho I do then scent my laundry w my own homemade lavender sachets.)

We've got an Irish Terrier--talk about smelly! Fortunately we've got a large, very old house that is not at all air tight, so the smell dissipates. I hope...
C.S. Lewis
Smelly dog... do you mean dogs fart? Or do some dogs have stronger body odours?
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This is cool thread badlands 4 913 October 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Last Post: EDSEL_PK
  The weekend thread shakethingsup 5 658 April 14th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Last Post: Boomstick
  The Official XBox 360 Thread SpringfieldST 3 464 December 6th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Last Post: SpringfieldST
  New Game Thread? RobRoy 20 1,259 August 29th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Official 2005 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament thread SpringfieldST 15 912 March 28th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Last Post: SpringfieldST
  thread annoyingone 0 339 February 16th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Last Post: annoyingone
  Official Superbowl XXXIX thread SpringfieldST 11 609 February 11th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Last Post: Mike of Quantum Muse
  No introductions thread? Sciguy 9 579 December 2nd, 2004, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Sciguy
  The Lady or the Tiger?(thinking thread) Lady Eowyn 17 1,612 May 31st, 2004, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Coconut Ent
  Newbie Thread? Nixy 17 1,338 January 5th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Nepthys104