Who's planning to see Alien?
Ridley Scott's Alien is going to be re-released in theaters on October 31st, I believe in celebration of it's anniversary. I just read that Scott has added a three minute scene to the movie that shows more of what happened to the crew members that the Alien gets.

I'm a huge fan of the Alien series, but I've never seen any of the movies in the theater, not even Alien Resurrection (which, by the way, I like). I'm excited to have the oportunity to see the one that started it all on the big screen.

Maybe it's not a big deal to other people, but I have this thing about seeing movies on the big screen. Even a really good home theater system still doesn't come close to the theater experience, IMO.
I believe this will be the cut scene where Ripley discovered Dallas, crusted to a bulk head as she flee's the ship. The concept drawings are featured in Geigers Alien movie book...

That should be interesting... especially since the alien in the first film was a much different creature than the aliens used in the second film. Apparently, the aliens in the second film were made less blood thirty, and more like ants in that they followed a strict social pattern, serving the queen.

I've always understood that Geiger had envisioned the creature being able to reproduce by itself (thus being the perfect being Ash talks about).
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
Quote:Originally posted by moif
I believe this will be the cut scene where Ripley discovered Dallas, crusted to a bulk head as she flee's the ship. The concept drawings are featured in Geigers Alien movie book...

I've actually seen part of the scene, and it involves the whole crew, or at least those that the alien got a hold of.

Quote:That should be interesting... especially since the alien in the first film was a much different creature than the aliens used in the second film. Apparently, the aliens in the second film were made less blood thirty, and more like ants in that they followed a strict social pattern, serving the queen.

I don't know if that's true or not, given that in each case, there were very few survivors (one in the first, three in the second). Especially when we take into consideration that in Alien there was only one creature attacking the crew, but in Aliens there were hundreds, and they were being killed, yet still they came on.

But you are right about them serving the Queen. They seemed to act independently though, if necessary, but would obey her commands if given.

Quote:I've always understood that Geiger had envisioned the creature being able to reproduce by itself (thus being the perfect being Ash talks about).

I just watched a very nice peice on this, and Giger didn't mention anything of this kind. Apparently, Giger was pulled in to do creature creation, but the concept was only based on one of his pictures (a biomachine that O'Bannon had seen when working on a failed production of Dune with Giger). The story wasn't his at all, but was all Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett. Their key concept revolved around the Alien exploding through the chest scene. Giger was solely there for set design and creature creation.

Oh, and I am definately going to be seeing this re-release. I was too young to catch it the first time it came out, so I will definately be going this time. I agree with you, Boomstick, in that I really enjoy seeing movies in the theatre. The experience is vastly different, IMO, than watching it on a home theatre system. Some movies I can see that way, but most, especially good ones, I like to have seen in the threatre.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
Maybe it's not a big deal to other people, but I have this thing about seeing movies on the big screen. Even a really good home theater system still doesn't come close to the theater experience, IMO.

AMEN and HELL YEAH!!! We always discuss the difference in the experience of seeing a movie on the big screen versus the small in my house.

I only saw Alien too late at night many years ago on TV. I thought it was boring at the time, but my opinion was definitely biased by fatigue and lack of sleep. I might go see it on the big screen.
Hope, D`Argo.... I have HOPE. John

Too many stories are nothing more than connected vignettes of codified symbols used to tell the audience where the plot currently stands like some sort of checklist Mirage
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
I'm a [b]huge fan of the Alien series, but I've never seen any of the movies in the theater, not even Alien Resurrection (which, by the way, I like). I'm excited to have the oportunity to see the one that started it all on the big screen.

Maybe it's not a big deal to other people, but I have this thing about seeing movies on the big screen. Even a really good home theater system still doesn't come close to the theater experience, IMO. [/B]

The big screen is the only way to appreciate the Alien pics. I saw in a documentary about the series where Sigorney was upset that they cut out the scene where Ripley discovers the fate of her daughter in "Aliens". I wonder if another sequel were to be made, would Sigorney play her great, great, great, great, grandaughter instead instead of her clone self?
I suppose anything's possible in the way of stories. I did like Alien Resurrection, although I'm not sure about the whole Ripley clone thing. I guess there wasn't a real good way to bring her back, so that was an ok one. I did like Winona Ryder's character, Analee Call. I don't think too many people did, but I like Noni to begin with, so I suppose I'm bias.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Michael's Review of "Alien: Covenant" Michael 1 373 June 28th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Ingvanye
  Predator 3, Remakes of the Alienes series and Alien vs Predator2 badlands 1 289 March 24th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Neill Blomkamp's "Alien" concept art Boomstick 8 567 March 8th, 2015, 08:27 PM
  A Favour... from Remembering 'Alien' Remembering Alien 2 818 October 23rd, 2012, 03:49 AM
Last Post: Michael
  The Register on alien spaceship designs Michael 0 540 November 27th, 2011, 12:21 AM
  It's true: Ridley Scott ditching "Alien" prequels for new "Prometheus" franchise Michael 2 634 January 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
  Every Alien and/or Predator movie listed from best to worst. RedVengeanceIII 84 4,742 September 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM
  Alien Prequel in the Works at Fox Boomstick 19 1,257 April 27th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Last Post: EDSEL_PK
  Cameron planning to make a movie about nukes badlands 1 349 February 8th, 2010, 03:02 AM
  Dan O'Bannon, 'Alien' screenwriter, dies aged 63 Boomstick 0 403 December 19th, 2009, 01:42 PM