Forest of LOTR
Which were angiosperm/gymnosperm or both?

I just felt most were angiosperm except Mirkwood and the trees on the Blue mountians.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what do angiosperm and gyniosperm mean?
I haven't lost my mind: it's backed up on disk somewhere.
As far as I can recall gymnosperms are pines, conifers in general. So I guess angiosperms would be fuit or flower bearing plants/trees?
Well, short of re-reading the whole trilogy right now with an eye out for these details, I for one do not know what the answer to this question may be. I trust there are others who do...
'No matter how the world makes out in the next few centuries, a large class of readers will not be too surprised at anything. They will have been through it all before in fictional form.' - De Camp
editted

double post
This is the index for the angiosperms. Angiosperms are leafy trees and shrubs.

http://www.colby-sawyer.edu/academi...um/angiosperms/

This is the index for the gymnosperms. Gymnosperms are trees and shrubs with needles or scales rather than leaves

http://www.colby-sawyer.edu/academi...um/gymnosperms/
As a biologist, I will note that angiosperms are resident in more mature forests and richer soils and higher amounts of rainfall, while gymnosperms are associated with poorer soils, newer growth, higher elevations, and lower rainfall, though of course not desertlike conditions.
"What song the Sirens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, though puzzling questions are not beyond conjecture." - Sir Thomas Browne, Religio Medici
Quote:angiosperms are resident in more mature forests

I thought that gymnosperms evloved first. How come they ( angiosperms)have more mature forest?
They did, but forests mature over many, many lives of most gymnospermae. Angiospemae are more evolved with deeper root systems and the ability to withstand seasonal variabilites better than gymnospermae, and also their seed propagation is easier, resulting in quicker spread. They are also more disease-resistant. That is why you only find pine forests in higher elevations, where angiospermae cannot grow, and in poorer soil, such as northern Florida and the Gulf Coast. Where angiospermae can grow, they slowly but surely crowd out gymnospermae. Their leaf canopy is also more complete, not allowing young trees to grow in their shade.
"What song the Sirens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, though puzzling questions are not beyond conjecture." - Sir Thomas Browne, Religio Medici
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.
Yes, and note that all of them except the fir are angiospermae: rowan, ash, birch, beech, oak, chestnut, and linden.
Wow! I never thought those little details coud be this much fun!
I do know that Tolien patterned a lot of the settings in his work on places he knew. Perhaps knowing greenery in the England he knew (rural Brimingham, I should imagine, where he was as a child) wld further help to figure out what the forests in Middle Earth are like?
'No matter how the world makes out in the next few centuries, a large class of readers will not be too surprised at anything. They will have been through it all before in fictional form.' - De Camp
I am sure that JRRT, hiker that he was, would immediately know the difference between Pine Barrens and a mature English forest.
Attalus,

Thanks for your response. My confusion arose with the term " mature".

Kirinki 54.

Thanks for the ent quote.
Quote:Originally posted by Attalus
Yes, and note that all of them except the fir are angiospermae: rowan, ash, birch, beech, oak, chestnut, and linden.

Is this applicable to vegetables too? Well, one can imagine the Ent-wives resembled carrots and cabbages, no? :bg:
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.
I have always imagined them as fruit-trees, like apple or pear, but the thought of a giant cabbage in intriguing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recasting LOTR badlands 2 75 2 hours ago
Last Post: chesterar1
  Thank goodness, Disney didn’t make the LOTR movies badlands 0 45 May 27th, 2020, 05:55 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Happy LOTR day badlands 0 108 March 25th, 2020, 04:32 PM
  Did the Rangers make the paths in the Old Forest? Mordomin 4 241 December 3rd, 2019, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Might the cellars that the Mewlips inhabit be the ruins of the old forest roads city? Darnokthemage 2 151 December 3rd, 2019, 09:53 PM
  All Animes like The Record of Lodess war and GoblinSlayer based on LOTR. badlands 0 255 May 26th, 2019, 11:54 PM
  Scenes in any of LOTR movies or Hobbit you would like to have seen? badlands 4 269 July 3rd, 2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Bacchus
  LOTR games review badlands 2 273 November 23rd, 2017, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Elenmir
  recipe how those LOTR fans with humor badlands 3 299 June 20th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Last Post: august
  A LOTR movie or sequel for 2017? badlands 1 268 January 1st, 2017, 02:42 AM