"Magic" colors in the Witch World
It's been a long time since I read any of the Witch World books, and I've been trying to remember:

1 What the colors related to magic are
2 What the significance of each color was

I seem to remember blue, green, brown, black and red. All I remember for sure was that blue and green were somehow related to "good". Feel free to refer me to another website if the information is written down somewhere else.

Thanks.
Oh boy!
Now I'm really stumped.
Different authors use different colors. Sometimes.

I don't remember Andre Norton actually giving colors to Magic.

This isn't like the Star War universe where Jedi light saber lights of blue or green are good, and red or orange light saber light indicates the "dark side of the force"

I do know that in TIGER BURNING BRIGHT, the members of the religious order wear different colored robes to denote, Earth/Water/Fire/Air.

I don't ever remember the Witches of Escarp having colors to their magic. There is one short story where a woman of earth can "see" orange hazes around the magic places. I also think that the evil adepts have "black" - or is that some other author?

I don't remember the witches actually throwing colored light of any kind. Mostly they would stand together, link hands, and the mountains would walk. Perhaps the adepts threw light.

There is one place where the keplians (KEY OF THE KEPLIANS) have red eyes when they are touched by evil, but this fades to blue for the animals that have discovered that they can be good.

Help!
all the colors of magic...(wasn't that the title of a book?)

Specifically in the Witch World, I can only remember one place where colors were linked with magic. I can't tell you which colors went with what, only the reference, and maybe you can find it yourself or someone else who has an encyclopediac grasp can elucidate.

In The Jargoon Pard, when Kethan was trapped in the pentagram defined by colored candles ( or was it just colored flames?). He escaped by exerting his will and changing the color of one candle, which released him. What the different colors meant were explained in this scene.

Like you I seem to remember that blue and green were linked to life or the natural world, while red and orange were more like intelligence or willpower. I believe yellow was mentioned in there but I don't remember the specifics.

Actually, now that I think about it, at the end of that same book, when Kethan and his friends were confronting his 'mother' and her friends, I believe that the 'bad guys' were enclosed by a flame-defined pentagram that changed from red through to purple. I think this change was because they were losing control of the spell or magic and it was mentioned that purple was bordering on the color of the Dark, black I guess.

Of course, this is not the Witches of Estcarp, but on the other continent, comprising the Dales and Arvon, so maybe it was a different 'system' of magic?

Anyway, that is all I can contribute at this time. Take it away!

Paul Baughman
Coffee in, coffee out.
Paul (no, the other one)
Captain of the ISS Andre Norton

By vocation, I am a Horta-master
By avocation, I am a reader
By Dream, I am a star-roamer
By choice, I am Andrefan
Ok, here we go.... ( sometimes it is useful to work in a library 8^)

From the Jargoon Pard, Atheneum Edition, 1974

From the chapter titled "Of How the Three Took An Interest"

yellow - mind, logic
red - body
orange - self-confidence
blue - Theurgy: emotions, faith, belief
green - creation, beauty (art?), the magic of all things sprouting from the earth, seeking but never fulfilled
purple - shadow

---Paul.
Paul (no, the other one)

By choice, I am Andrefan
Thanks!

My memories seemed to recall that places of power sometimes had colors associated with them. It is entirely possible that one book or even one section of a book had a strong enough impression on me that I made myself think that I had seen the same thing in several others.

It wasn't really important, but I hate it when something wiggles around at the edge of memory and I can't get a hold of it. I knew that I remembered blue and green, but I was just guessing on the other three. I also kept thinking five colors, so there must have been a pentacle or pentagram in the segment that stuck in my thoughts.
Well, I know Andre often uses a blue color emanating from places of power associated with the Light. Presumably there is something similar with the Dark loci, but I can't remember anything in particular. Other than that, I can't bring any to mind.

Are you sure it was Norton book(s)?

Paul.
Paul (no, the other one)

By choice, I am Andrefan
Yes, but as I said, it was MANY years ago.
I'm almost sure that there was mentioned something about green magic in the book 'Leopard" (I'm not sure for the title but it's a sequel of "The year of the unicorn')

i thing green magic was connected with nature but i'm not sure Wink
I just finished reading LEOPARD IN EXILE by Norton & Edghill.

This isn't a Witch World book, and the content has been colored (pun appology) by Rosemary Edghills' feelings about magic.

The green in that book has to do with nature AND with the green light coming from the Grail. I don't remember any specific magic=color relationship.
Irene
Blue is often associated with quan iron [for example, the ruins of the Old Ones in _Crystal Gryphon_, and the gate to the hidden valley in the _Keplian_ book]. I tend to think of it as more intellectual magic or force of will, like what the witches in Estcarp do. Green is associated more with the forces of nature, as in the Valley of Green Silences, especially Dahaun [_Three Against the Witch World_, among others]. Golden or amber colored magic is associated with Gunnora, especially people wielding her amulets [for example Joisan in _Gryphon in Glory_ and Eleri in the _Keplian_ book]. In _Gryphon in Glory_ Joisan looks at herself and sees her unborn child having purple magic, the most powerful color, wielded by adepts.

Evil adepts tend to do variations on red or black, especially Galkur and Denzil [sp? the bad dude whose power is broken at the end of _Warlock of the Witch World_]. Iirc, in _Year of the Unicorn_ in the shadow world, aren't the people some variety of gray? What are the colors associated with "The Toads of Grimmerdale?" Wasn't it some sort of slime yellow or green?

Hth,

Jerrie

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Warding of Witch World - Discussion Marron4Gateau 6 226 June 26th, 2021, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Witch World Maps Lots-A-Watts 2 138 June 8th, 2021, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Spell of the Witch World - Discussion Marron4Gateau 1 224 May 24th, 2021, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Michael
  GPA Entertainment Witch World & Beastmaster movies Marron4Gateau 8 1,001 December 24th, 2020, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Indagare
  Star Ka'at World discussion Jerrie 3 663 June 27th, 2020, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Witch World books! Jack123456 17 1,868 February 4th, 2020, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Jack123456
  Witch World Map Lots-A-Watts 6 986 February 4th, 2020, 10:50 PM
Last Post: rkomar
  The Jardgoon Pard vs Warding of Witch World Jack123456 14 1,432 December 19th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Indagare
  Jardgoon Pard vs Warding of Witch World Jack123456 0 102 November 15th, 2019, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Jack123456
  A Taste of Magic - discussion Marron4Gateau 1 356 June 20th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Irene