The Hobbit movie reboot
Should the Hobbit movie be rebooted?
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
Not unless there's some new technology. Book to radio, radio to animation, cartoon to live action, silent to sound I get. But there's no need to remake things that work just fine.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I disagree with you, August. We've got umpteen versions of movies like "Ben-Hur", "Little Women", "Beau Geste", "Hamlet", and other classic literature. Why not do the Hobbit trilogy again with a different director in another 10 years or so?

And as for "work just fine", given the immense number of complaints about the movies (especially the 2nd one), I'm not sure everyone agrees with you that Jackson trilogy works so well. Even Peter Jackson was unhappy with the result.
(January 18th, 2023, 11:42 AM)Michael Wrote: I disagree with you, August. We've got umpteen versions of movies like "Ben-Hur", "Little Women", "Beau Geste", "Hamlet", and other classic literature. Why not do the Hobbit trilogy again with a different director in another 10 years or so?

Those are actually great examples of what I said. Adding sound and color to a classic silent like "Ben-Hur" gave it a new dimension, just as adding ...ummm... actors you could hear speaking the words gave "Hamlet'" something that was missing from a silent. But the latest remakes of those didn't improve anything, and made no lasting impact. Although I'm told "Little Women" was well-done, and made a profit - but most people didn't even know it happened. Just think of the hundreds of historical novels by and about women that could have been adapted into a film with that cast, and how much better that might have been? Same with Ben-Hur - all that $$ and those sfx could have told some original story about the ancient world that could shed new light on the era, and make some screenwriter's career.

Hamlet is little bit different, since the nature of classic plays like that is that each actor in each locale and each generation does their interpretation of the material. But even then... once you've got sound, and color, and realism... until some new tech is invented, do we need any more Hamlets? Surely there is a Ben Jonson or Christopher Marlowe play that deserves its own film, or there's always the route of telling the same basic story from a new angle, and creating an original work of art (Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead," for example.

As for complaints about the Jackson films, I'm pretty sure I haven't heard a single one spoken aloud in person by anyone, apart from people who would say "that's one of those silly fantasy D&D films like Trek Wars and Harry Katniss, right? I hate those." You have to read Spacebook and iFace on the interwebs to find any actual dissatisfaction, and I think those people are all on the dope anyway. Wink I missed Jackson complaining about his own work, but I know some museums that would gladly house his Oscars if he wants to turn them in, and some charities that would be happy to take his profits off his hands.

He's a great example though - he did a splashy big budget King Kong remake that was awfully pretty and hi-tech ... but I bet more film students study the original. Whereas the Skull Mountain (Island?) sequel my have featured a giant ape named Kong...but it was its own story. I bet there are a hundred giant ape screenplays floating around that could made adequate films...just as there are plenty of fantasy novels about elves and dwarves that could be adapted into new, original works of art.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Film studios and audiences are impatient for advances in cinematographic technology. I think there will probably be a remake or 2 in the next 10 years, if nothing else so as to ensure the rights remain where they are.
That's all fine and well.  But I really wish that Ralph Bakshi would hurry up and finish his version of "The Lord of the Rings". The Rankin & Bass ending never satisfied me.
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
He's still got just a little more rotoscoping to do. 😅😁😉😂

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hobbit Anarchy Michael 19 1,234 January 26th, 2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Jaak
  The Hobbit movie trilogy badlands 1 79 January 18th, 2023, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Do the dwarves look different in the Hobbit than the LOTR? badlands 4 445 August 24th, 2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: ZehnWaters
  Hobbit ineffectual and non productive workers? badlands 3 431 July 24th, 2022, 01:27 AM
  Size of Hobbit characters Jaak 15 1,844 July 1st, 2022, 11:10 PM
  Video: The very first "Hobbit" film adaptation - in full Michael 2 872 April 23rd, 2021, 10:02 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Tolkien the movie badlands 4 1,235 July 13th, 2019, 11:28 AM
  Legion M is organizing fan events for "Tolkien" the Movie Michael 0 1,777 April 21st, 2019, 09:41 PM
  "Here's a pretty hobbit-skin... Mordomin 12 2,607 February 2nd, 2019, 12:09 PM
  New Peter Jackson movie: Mortal Engines badlands 4 872 August 25th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Boomstick