My First Book!!! The Road Goes Ever On and On A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien a
I am a new self-publishing author who just began a Kickstarter for my first book titled "The Road Goes Ever On and On A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth." Kickstarter supporters receive special perks such as sighed copies, early access, reduced price, stunning artwork, etc Please check out the link if you are interested in supporting an Indie author.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tolkien/a-new-perspective-on-j-r-r-tolkien-and-middle-earth?ref=project_build

Blurb

J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth has captured the imaginations of millions of readers around the world for generations. He is considered the father of modern fantasy, but few understand how Tolkien’s worldview impacted his mythology. The Road Goes Ever On and On is the first book of its kind to place Tolkien within his proper context, giving the reader a deeper understanding of Tolkien and Middle-earth. Smith takes us on a quest through a wide range of Tolkien’s writings to unlock Tolkien’s perspective—a perspective that, like the elves who have sailed into the West leaving Middle-earth, has faded away from our world. 

You will gain an in-depth knowledge of Tolkien’s views on politics, environmentalism, religion, and much more. From the Valar to Hobbits, the free peoples closely follow Tolkien’s sentiments. In contrast, forces under the Shadow represent what Tolkien believed was immoral. Covering a wide range of topics, The Road Goes Ever On and On is filled with breathtaking illustrations bringing Middle-earth to life like never before, making this the ‘one book to rule them all.’

Praise for the Road Goes Ever On and On!

Engrossing...Tolkien’s principles—patriotism, Medievalism, localism, Catholicism—are certainly out of fashion today. And yet they’re the foundation for all his books, which have sold hundreds of millions of copies. Mr. Smith does a wonderful job of explaining why modern readers are so enthralled by Tolkien’s reactionary vision. Whether you’re a casual Lord of the Rings fan or a serious Tolkien scholar, every page of Mr. Smith’s book will delight and fascinate. And if anyone ever tells you that fairy-tales are only for children, hand him this book. Tolkien ought to be regarded as one of the great social critics of our time, as Mr. Smith so masterfully demonstrates. 
-Michael Warren Davis is an editor for Sophia Institute Press and the author of The Reactionary Mind: Why Conservative Isn’t Enough. You can find him on his blog, The Common Man. 

As the popularity of Tolkien’s work continues to endure, the importance of Jeb Smith’s work continues to grow. This is because of a prolonged siege against Tolkien’s work: the attempt to dislodge it from its Christian and Biblical foundations. Jeb Smith’s insights are immensely helpful to this and future generations of Tolkien admirers. 
-Scott L. Smith, author of Lord of the Rings and the Eucharist

This work is one of the best philosophical works that I have read in a long time as an editor… I am still in awe of this amazing piece of literature…Each paragraph carefully brought me into the author's perspective while allowing for a great level of introspection and understanding.…
Freelance editor Doris_foster
Cool. I wish I had money to self published.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
(November 18th, 2022, 01:44 AM)badlands Wrote: Cool. I wish I had money to self published.

I dont either, but I did anyways Big Grin
Congratulations!

What would you say that your book uniquely brings to the table in terms of understanding Tolkien and "where he was coming from," that Shippey, Carpenter, Kocher, Hammond, Scull, JRRT's published letters as compiled and edited by Carpenter and Chris Tolkien, and countless others, failed to fully elucidate in their respective works? I even saw Amazon offers a book titled How to Misunderstand Tolkien! What would you say sets your book apart from these others that are out there?

Also, if there might be some question of a 'mainstream' publisher picking up on your opus, could your title perhaps be confused with Donald Swann's tome of music from LotR and The Hobbit?
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
(November 19th, 2022, 01:30 PM)Alvin Eriol Wrote: Congratulations!

What would you say that your book uniquely brings to the table in terms of understanding Tolkien and "where he was coming from," that Shippey, Carpenter, Kocher, Hammond, Scull, JRRT's published letters as compiled and edited by Carpenter and Chris Tolkien, and countless others, failed to fully elucidate in their respective works? I even saw Amazon offers a book titled How to Misunderstand Tolkien! What would you say sets your book apart from these others that are out there?

Also, if there might be some question of a 'mainstream' publisher picking up on your opus, could your title perhaps be confused with Donald Swann's tome of music from LotR and The Hobbit?

Great questions; thank you for your interest and encouragement!!!

The Tolkien trinity (as I like to think of them) of Carpenter, Christopher, and J.R.R (letters) heavily influenced my work. I do not claim that these authors (though many more modern-thinking authors have) have "missed" Tolkien. But I have offered a new angle on Tolkien and his works. 

Take Shippey, an extraordinary Tolkien scholar to whom I would never compare myself. He has done excellent work connecting Tolkien to some of the Anglo-Saxon documents he studied. I have taken a different approach; instead of pointing to Medieval documents from which Tolkien derived names or parts of his story, I have focused on the worldview of the Medieval world. I focused on how Tolkien incorporated the medieval mindset into his works. I often connect Tolkien's views, along with the Free peoples, to significant Medieval authors. Likewise, the forces under the Shadow to modern thinkers and practices. When one grasps medieval thinkers on politics, religion, environmentalism etc, it is easy to understand Tolkien and his world. 

I connect Tolkien's worldview to his creation more than Shippy and Carpenter. I focus much more on understanding Middle-earth through the lens of Tolkien's worldview. I get more specific by offering multiple examples, connecting them to Tolkien's mind and other similar thinkers. 

I am undoubtedly biased, but I believe more than any author out there, I have described and touched on, in a far more in-depth manner, the Catholic, Christian, and Biblical influences on Tolkien's works. I don't mean to knock on other authors (and likely, they were not as interested). Still, numerous authors miss multiple connections to Christianity that Tolkien incorporated into his mythology.
I think Michael among others has commented on how Tolkien's Anglo-Saxon influences on his fiction seem to get all the attention (partly because casual commentators pick up on the fact he was a professor of Anglo-Saxon), while his studies in Middle English lit and poetry, and influences from Biblical text and Roman Catholic doctrine, and Classical and Northern European mythology and language, get neglected, at least among the more popular published commentators.

JRRT's overall theme in what I call his Arda Cycle of writings, esp. LotR, is indeed about the role of omniscient omnipotent Creator God and how He operates in the world He created to implement His divine will. Those who deny LotR has anything to do with "religion" should account for Tolkien's statement in Letter # 183 in which he says the conflict in LotR s not about "freedom" "though that naturally is involved, but about God and His sole right to divine honour." If one makes a statement about the conflict in one's book, one describes the very engine that makes the book "go," and therefore stands very close to "what it is about."

I would also question whether there is any such thing as "the" medieval worldview. Practically by definition the Middle Ages between the collapse of Rome and the modern era however you define its murky beginning (the traditional English definition being that the Middle Ages ended with the conclusion of the War of the Roses), it was a time of intense social and linguistic change and flux. England of Pre- and post-Norman Conquest, the early Plantagenet era, the "High Middle Ages" and the time of Chaucer, and the runup to the WotRoses, were IMO very different times. I am not well-versed in that field at all, but according to my slight knowledge you'd have to make clear whose worldview, when, in English or European history, in order to expound upon it in any detail.

Just my thoughts, and worth what you paid for them!  Big Grin
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm looking for a sci-fi book title Flo06060606 2 696 November 23rd, 2021, 06:05 PM
Last Post: scifilover11
  What fantasy books or science fiction book do you want to see on film? badlands 11 1,670 December 26th, 2020, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Morthoron
  What Book is This? Snaggletooth 6 1,046 December 9th, 2020, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Looking for a book at least 20 years old Greybeard1 5 1,613 July 3rd, 2020, 07:58 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Paul William Anderson’s book: Inside Earth badlands 1 710 August 10th, 2018, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Comic book writers badlands 4 915 July 3rd, 2018, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  New book aaroncadena 1 807 October 23rd, 2017, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Of War and Consequence, Book One of the Consortium Chain HMart 16 3,235 March 26th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Last Post: HMart
  The Circle book series by Ted Dekker to get a movie badlands 0 1,124 September 22nd, 2014, 12:44 AM
Last Post: badlands
  A new movie based on Nancy Farmer's book, The house of Scorpion badlands 3 8,633 March 9th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Last Post: BoardAdmin