Oh, for another good Chinese drama show ...
Someone suggested to me, when I reviewed The Longest Day in Chang'An, that I would eventually be disappointed with the quality of most Chinese TV dramas. That seems to be the case with many of the shows I've tried watching lately.

Many if not all of these shows are aimed at younger audiences. Amazon labels some of them as for "kids", but even many in the "science fiction" and "drama" categories seem to be produced for adolescent or younger audiences.

There's nothing wrong with the stories they're trying to tell. It's just that their production values are different from those of the more serious shows I've come to love.

I've reviewed the following shows here or on the main SF-Fandom.Com Website.
  • The Longest Day in Chang'An
  • The Amazing Detective Di Renjie, Season 2
  • The Amazing Detective Di Renjie, Season 3
  • Novoland: Eagle Flag
  • Novoland: Pearl Eclipse
  • My Heroic Husband
Another movie I recently found which was almost up to the standards of the above shows was Duoluo Continent. It's a fantasy story that mixes comedy with dark drama (I don't recommend it for young children at all).

I've tried watching some of the other Novoland productions, but they're older shows/movies and not as good as the recent productions. One of them, Legend of the Naga Pearls, seems to be well-regarded but I just cannot get into it. It's too obviously a kids' movie, in my opinion.

Many commenters on Chinese drama fan sites recommend Joy of Life for people who enjoy My Heroic Husband. The two leads (Yi Song and Qilin Guo) play sister and brother in that show, and though I tried to watch it earlier this year I wasn't able to finish. I may try again.

I suspect the problem for me is that these shows with higher production values are major investments for the studios, and therefore not likely to be exemplary of the genre's typical offerings. Of course, there are thousands of these movies and shows. I won't be able to watch them all.

I do recommend the above productions, but anyone who tries to watch them should beware: they set a high standard. You'll need to change your expectations as you experiment with other shows.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My thoughts on the new "Willow" show Michael 0 15 Yesterday, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Amazon Show, Night Sky Michael 0 269 June 7th, 2022, 03:22 AM
  New Dean Devlin show, 'The Ark' Michael 2 361 May 9th, 2022, 01:25 AM
  Kung fu tv show reboot badlands 3 2,165 September 8th, 2019, 12:31 AM
  Amazon TV Show "Carnival Row" Michael 0 974 August 28th, 2019, 04:21 PM
  Videos: Amazon's "Good Omens" trailers Michael 0 636 April 25th, 2019, 03:48 PM
  Show runner gives tour of Walking Dead offices august 0 627 April 5th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Last Post: august
  Still Waiting for News about new Stargate TV Show Michael 6 1,364 February 28th, 2019, 12:57 PM
  Live-action Loki TV Show planned for Disney+ Finds Showrunner Michael 0 622 February 17th, 2019, 01:21 AM
  Asian fantasy martial arts show badlands 2 846 November 22nd, 2018, 12:13 PM