Brad Wright Confirms He Is No Longer Part of Stargate Franchise
Stargate fans have been begging Brad Wright to bring us another show for years. While people weren't happy with the way Stargate: Atlantis and Stargate: Universe ended (that is - the shows ran for only 5 and 2 seasons respectively), that wasn't his decision to make. And Brad rightfully points out that a 5-season run is a great lifetime, especially for a science fiction show.

The MGM bankruptcy is what ruined the deal for everyone. They cut back on many projects, including the 3rd Direct-to-DvD Stargate SG-1 movie.

A few days ago a fan asked Brad directly on Twitter for an update:

Quote:Hey Brad, is there any news about the possible new Stargate Series? Thanks ☺️ P.S. Funnily enough, i’ve only just discovered the show thanks to my boyfriend and i’m a 90’s kid. P.P.S. Stargate Universe was the best. Please keep the big personal stakes going, it was great

And he replied:

Quote:Thanks!  But you won't hear news from me.  MGM did hire me to write a pilot for a new show but that was just before covid hit. Timing couldn't have been much worse.  All the players have changed in the interim so it's likely destined to gather dust.  Would've been fun, though.

For fans who don't keep up with the business side of things, Amazon bought out MGM. So Amazon now owns the Stargate franchise.

On October 31, a fan film project Tweeted at Brad Wright and he replied with:

Quote:MGM/Amazon will make another Stargate.  It may just take some time for them to decide what they want to do.  But they own it.   Not me.

The sad thing about all this is that MGM had given Brad Wright the greenlight to develop a new show in 2019. Unfortunately, the pandemic and the Amazon acquisition put a stop to all that.

Fans are still hopeful but we'll have to wait and see. And I suspect much will depend on how successful Amazon's Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power show will be. They've sunk a lot of money into that franchise. It seems other shows Amazon had under development (like Carnival Row, starring Orlando Bloom, are also in stasis).
(November 6th, 2022, 03:39 PM)Michael Wrote: Fans are still hopeful but we'll have to wait and see. And I suspect much will depend on how successful Amazon's Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power show will be. They've sunk a lot of money into that franchise. It seems other shows Amazon had under development (like Carnival Row, starring Orlando Bloom, are also in stasis).

I should not have written the above. Turns out, they just announced the next season of Carnival Row will be broadcast starting in February.

And, quite frankly, as I scroll through Amazon Prime's offerings, I see they have developed a lot of shows. They just have a really screwed up production schedule, for which the pandemic is at least partially responsible.

So, I hope we get more Stargate shows - and good ones - but for now Brad Wright won't be involved.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brad Wright's Travelers Michael 0 444 May 9th, 2022, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: GateWorld's premier Stargate news Michael 0 560 July 5th, 2021, 02:42 AM
  Video: Stargate Revolutions plot (3rd SG-1 movie) Michael 0 445 July 5th, 2021, 02:05 AM
  Amazon Prime Dropping Free Stargate Streaming December 31, 2020 Michael 0 668 December 23rd, 2020, 07:59 PM
  Stargate Atlantis Skyway Patrolman 5 854 November 14th, 2020, 01:55 AM
  Stargate Moments Michael 4 1,092 February 24th, 2020, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Boomstick
Wink Franchise humor august 0 474 January 6th, 2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: august
  Stargate Universe: Bad Writing or Flawed Characters? Michael 0 1,015 April 21st, 2019, 10:25 PM
  Still Waiting for News about new Stargate TV Show Michael 6 1,410 February 28th, 2019, 12:57 PM
  Video: Fan film, "Stargate Universe: Distant Hope" FilmGuy 0 1,128 January 26th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy