Why did Elendil live so long?
Per the title. Why did Elendil live so long (322 years)? Was it simply because of the faithfulness of his line? If so, why didn't his grandson, Valandil, live as long (260 years)? Elendil didn't even die of old age (a trait shared by his father and sons) meaning he could have, theoretically, lived even LONGER. Also he was apparently hale enough to be helping Gil-Galad overthrow Sauron in combat. So what's the deal?
I'm not aware of any explanation from Tolkien but I've always felt it was because Elendil restored the honor and glory of the descendants of Elros. The Valar blessed him, in my opinion, because he was the leader of the Faithful and brought at least some of the Dunedain back to a righteous path.
(September 28th, 2022, 11:59 PM)Michael Wrote: I'm not aware of any explanation from Tolkien but I've always felt it was because Elendil restored the honor and glory of the descendants of Elros. The Valar blessed him, in my opinion, because he was the leader of the Faithful and brought at least some of the Dunedain back to a righteous path.

I suppose that makes sense.  What's more, he had a new duty to set up the new Kingdoms and that was going to require time.
(September 28th, 2022, 11:59 PM)Michael Wrote: I'm not aware of any explanation from Tolkien but I've always felt it was because Elendil restored the honor and glory of the descendants of Elros. The Valar blessed him, in my opinion, because he was the leader of the Faithful and brought at least some of the Dunedain back to a righteous path.

It's possible that Eru blessed Elendil.
Even his burial site is blessed as well.
(October 1st, 2022, 04:33 AM)gzhindra Wrote: It's possible that Eru blessed Elendil.
Even his burial site is blessed as well.

Oh, true.  I forgot about that.
Are we perhaps talking about different Elendils? The one that I remember died in battle with Sauron before the Barad-dur.
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
(October 2nd, 2022, 01:18 AM)Mordomin Wrote: Are we perhaps talking about different Elendils?  The one that I remember died in battle with Sauron before the Barad-dur.
Elendil was originally buried at Amon Anwar. The story is in unfinished tales, Cirion and Eorl. Elendil was later moved to Minas Tirith.
Elendil was also descended from Elros via the distaff line of the Lords of Andúnië, who therefore were on average longer-lived than the common Númenóreans.

It does appear that particularly virtuous heroic members of their family tended to be longer-lived "throwbacks" to Elros. Aragorn II Elessar bucked the general 3rd-Age trend of shorter-lived Dúnedain. "Aragorn indeed lived to be two hundred and ten years old, longer than any of his line since King Arvegil; but in Aragorn Elessar the dignity of the kings of old was renewed." (LotR Appendix A (iii), emp by me)

Apparently he was blessed for his steadfastness in leading the resistance to Sauron, having also resisted the lure of the Ring when it was within his grasp for extended periods. 210 years is 3x "threescore and ten," which according to one statement by JRRT was the average lifespan of a common Númenórean.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
(October 2nd, 2022, 12:52 PM)Alvin Eriol Wrote: Elendil was also descended from Elros via the distaff line of the Lords of Andúnië, who therefore were on average longer-lived than the common Númenóreans.

It does appear that particularly virtuous heroic members of their family tended to be longer-lived "throwbacks" to Elros.

It also seems like Elendil had a job to do and he needed to live that long to do it so it seems a bit of a divine blessing.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long boring road trip badlands 0 365 May 29th, 2021, 04:38 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Video: Fan film, long version of Dwarves' "Misty Mountains" song FilmGuy 5 1,086 January 27th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Poll at Middle-earth Radio: Do you want live music shows? Michael 0 697 April 2nd, 2012, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Middle-earth Unplugged: "Horror in the Woods - How Men Live in Mirkwood" Michael 4 1,957 September 27th, 2011, 07:54 PM
  Tolkien Moot 2011 live presentation at 1PM Pacific Time Saturday, July 16 Michael 1 666 July 17th, 2011, 10:14 PM
  Watch Rehtaeh perform live at Tolkien Moot today (August 14) Forum Administrator 3 592 August 25th, 2010, 10:33 AM
  Why it is taking so long to greenlight "The Hobbit" Michael 4 1,013 August 5th, 2010, 12:11 AM
  Episode 17 of Middle-earth Talk Radio now live Michael 0 869 October 26th, 2009, 02:30 AM
  Hildebrandt artwork in live auction October 27 Michael 0 746 October 16th, 2009, 02:18 AM
  Middle-earth Talk Radio Episode 9 now live Michael 0 728 February 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM