Favorite songs from the LOTR series
What is your favorite song from the JRR Tolkien books?
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
Bonus points if you sing along to it while playing the "Poems and Songs of Middle Earth" album.
I was always partial to Bilbo's ballad of Eärendil, partly because it mentioned so many Silmarillion elements and the Blessed Realm that otherwise remained covert and only hinted at in the book's text. The unique meter and rhyme scheme JRRT invented contributes. (He once stated he'd only used it once, but he apparently considered "Eärendil Was A Mariner" to be an 'adaptation' for LotR of his earlier non-Arda poem "Errantry" with the same attributes).

Honorable mention to the various versions of the Elves' hymn to Varda Elbereth. The only time alas it was heard in Jackson's movies was a scene, cut from the theater release but included in the EE video, of the hobbits catching sight and sound of a party of Elves passing through the Shire on their way to the Grey Havens and Departure from Middle-Earth to the Blessed Realm.

BTW, during JRRT's late lifetime after LotR was published, Donald Swann composed and published a volume of music, The Road Goes Ever On, for a number of Tolkien's poems mainly from LotR. Commentary provided by JRRT was included.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
"The Road Goes Ever On". An invitation to adventure, and a cautionary tale all in one.
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
(August 20th, 2022, 12:54 AM)badlands Wrote: What is your favorite song from the JRR Tolkien books?

The Road Goes Ever On and On
Namárië
The Riddle of Strider
Gil-galad was an Elven King
Of him the harpers sadly sing
The last whose realm was fair and free
Between the mountains and the sea

Always wanted to know if Tolkien wrote the full ballad.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House of dragons series badlands 1 225 September 14th, 2022, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Do the dwarves look different in the Hobbit than the LOTR? badlands 4 447 August 24th, 2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: ZehnWaters
  No nudes in the LOTR petition badlands 9 1,006 August 18th, 2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  Amazon is ruining LOTR? badlands 2 299 July 28th, 2022, 07:50 PM
  History of the LOTR badlands 4 364 June 7th, 2022, 03:17 AM
  LOTR virtual challenge badlands 1 256 April 6th, 2022, 03:14 AM
  Where were the dwarves in the LOTR? badlands 1 357 March 30th, 2022, 12:30 AM
  LOTR rap anniversary badlands 3 563 January 16th, 2022, 02:11 AM