Could Jeff Hunter made star a sucess?
Or was he too much like picard?
Definition of success? Was Star Trek TOS a failure by any reasonable measure, other than only running three seasons in an era when a show might run at least a decade?

I agree Star Trek might well have been a very different show with Hunter in the captain's chair, especially in succeeding seasons as eps were written more around his character rather than Shatner's Kirk!

Could you imagine Majel Barrett doing one or more whole seasons as Number One as well, instead of having Spock as First Officer?
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
I can't imagine the scripts being significantly different, and Spock would surely have become an unanticipated sex symbol anyway. Jeffrey Hunter's career never really took off, while Shatner is still thriving nearly 60 years later, so I imagine the same outcome would have happened.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I've never understood why the Jeffrey Hunter Star Trek wasn't greenlighted. Yes, I've read the books that explained all that, but it comes down to the choices of the network/studio executives who decided that recasting was needed. I don't believe their points of view have ever been explained.

The only thing I can think of is that they may have felt the look of the show was too dated - too much like the 1950s.
(August 11th, 2022, 12:49 AM)Michael Wrote: I've never understood why the Jeffrey Hunter Star Trek wasn't greenlighted. Yes, I've read the books that explained all that, but it comes down to the choices of the network/studio executives who decided that recasting was needed. I don't believe their points of view have ever been explained.

The only thing I can think of is that they may have felt the look of the show was too dated - too much like the 1950s.

Could be, but then again I understood Star Trek was sort of a tough sell regardless, especially as the budget was concerned. Many of the classic Star Trek TOS tropes most beloved, e.g. the transporters, originated as cost-cutting measures only to later inspire plot points and even storylines in themselves. IMO the "look" of ST-TOS was very much mid-1960's, plus blocky and minimalist (again, to save $$$$). Exhibit: the brief often revealing costumes for the female actors, esp. mini-skirts hardly imaginable as serious uniforms of a space navy!

I guess Hunter seemed maybe too stereotypical action hero / commander?

Funny, I kept picturing another possible actor as a Starfleet captain: Guy Williams! IMO his "straight-man" commanderly turn as John Robinson, patriarch-commander in the near-contemporary series Lost in Space IMO enabled at least pretending to take it seriously while the show otherwise devolved into the Jonathan Harris as Dr. Smith Show Featuring the Bubble-Headed Booby! Sorta makes me wonder how Williams could have worked as Capt. Pike?
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
I think Williams would have made a great Star Trek captain. Unfortunately, Lost In Space drove him away from Hollywood.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Trek: Lower Decks Valandil 2 584 September 7th, 2022, 01:57 AM
Last Post: rkomar
  Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Michael's thoughts) Michael 4 237 July 23rd, 2022, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Star Trek: Picard Michael 1 392 May 9th, 2022, 01:32 AM
Last Post: Michael
  How can star trek get new fans? hour_25mikehodel 4 335 May 9th, 2022, 01:19 AM
  In Defense of Star Trek: Enterprise Michael 19 2,204 April 6th, 2022, 05:21 PM
  Star Trek languages badlands 4 738 July 1st, 2021, 10:19 AM
  Video - History of Star Trek Michael 0 699 July 25th, 2020, 09:18 PM
  Star Trek video/ computer games badlands 4 1,228 July 23rd, 2020, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Mary Sue character in Star Trek badlands 13 2,119 June 29th, 2020, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  New Animated Star Trek badlands 3 935 June 8th, 2020, 12:00 PM
Last Post: aaronbossig