Disney losing rights to Mickey Mouse
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wionews...494564/amp

Mickey Mouse will finally sing that Old Black spiritual that Martin Luther King Jr said Thank God, I am free at last.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
I'll believe it when I see it. There is still time to extend copyrights over the next two years.
This will be fascinating though, because I'm unsure if there are any other fictional characters that have businesses built around them. The descendants of Dumas get nothing from sales of Aramis cologne or the Three Musketeers bar, for example. And Doyle's estate owns less and less of Sherlock Holmes every year.

But does anyone own Tarzan, or Zorro? Could a film company lay claim to them, citing their costume design?

I know that the estates of the Three Stooges were successful because of the actors' success in multiple venues ( stage, different film companies, toys, comic books, etc.) and were able to claim rights to their likenesses... and by using the team name *for* current products and merchandise, they proved that the heirs of the original artists were continuing commercial ventures under the same names.

But...
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I believe the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate still controls Tarzan.

Zorro is owned by Sony.

I think Disney will do just fine with Mickey Mouse. They'll probably rebrand as "The Original Mickey Mouse" or "Disney's Mickey Mouse".
I'm no IP expert, but I thought the copyright just covered the original work. So, Steamboat Willie would enter the public domain and be freely distributable. I'd be surprised if anyone could start publishing new Mickey Mouse movies, though.
And on Zorro...I'm sure Sony owns the Banderas film....but do they own the Disney TV series? The Gold Key comics? The original Curse of Capistrano novel? What if one wanted to market a Douglas Fairbanks as Zorro action figure?
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
It depends on whether the characters have been trademarked. If they are trademarked there are limits to how long the trademarks can be renewed.

Copyrights are applicable to illustrations, stories, productions, etc.

I'm not sure what the "look" is covered by - maybe trademarks. I'm too tired to look it up.
Exactly - that's exactly what I'm referring to. The name and logo of the Banderas film might be trademarked - I think movies are more often "service marked" ....but like Princess of Mars, Capistrano is surely public domain now.

It would be awfully hard to open Mickey up to the public domain, since his image is now part of the Disney brand. So someone might be able to say the *story* of Steamboat Willie is public domain...maybe the physical film too. ...bet the character isn't. I know that's how several people have grabbed rights to some previously public domain films - the *music* on the background was still owned by its composer

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No Mickey Mouse rides in Disneyland badlands 1 114 March 30th, 2022, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Michael
Star Disney park and making roller coasters trains for the diable badlands 0 237 January 17th, 2022, 11:49 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Disney fan wants to change Splash Mountain badlands 4 855 June 27th, 2020, 02:40 PM
  Apple to buy Disney badlands 3 667 June 8th, 2020, 11:57 AM
Last Post: aaronbossig
  Disney making Tv Movies for bored kids badlands 2 544 April 24th, 2020, 08:55 AM
Last Post: august
  Disney parks closures badlands 2 586 March 24th, 2020, 06:31 PM
  Walt Disney, Dr. Seuss, and Maurice Sendak racist? badlands 3 1,240 December 3rd, 2019, 09:25 PM
  Walt Disney: a racist and anti-Jew? badlands 5 733 January 17th, 2019, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Netflix vs Disney streaming badlands 1 566 January 13th, 2019, 04:55 PM
  Does Disney parks need more coaster rides? badlands 1 619 August 14th, 2018, 11:43 PM