Andre Norton: Defender of Middle-earth
This week I learned (or re-learned, maybe) that when she was working for the Cleveland Public Library, Andre Norton rose to the defense of a British children's book that other librarians found unsuitable for their collection: The Hobbit.

https://tangentonline.com/columns/articl...re-norton/

Quote:"I was children's librarian at the Cleveland Public Library for over twenty years, from 1930-1951. Each month the librarians would receive a book to review. If there was some objection to the book, and we still wanted it, we would have an opportunity to defend it. I remember getting The Hobbit and nobody had heard of Tolkien, so I had to argue for it like mad. Another book that they absolutely refused to put in because of the title was John W. Campbell's The Moon is Hell. During my twenty-two years at the library I worked in all but two of the forty-seven branches. There were many ethnic enclaves in the city, including Italian, Czechoslovakian, Russian, Polish, Ukranian, Jewish, and Chinese. Just before the war I had an opportunity as special librarian on a citizenship project in Washington D.C. I was to select books on what it was like to be an American. This was for people who were learning the English language, so books had to be rewritten and simplified with a limited vocabulary..."
(May 26th, 2022, 11:45 PM)Michael Wrote: This week I learned (or re-learned, maybe) that when she was working for the Cleveland Public Library, Andre Norton rose to the defense of a British children's book that other librarians found unsuitable for their collection: The Hobbit.

https://tangentonline.com/columns/articl...re-norton/

Quote:"I was children's librarian at the Cleveland Public Library for over twenty years, from 1930-1951. Each month the librarians would receive a book to review. If there was some objection to the book, and we still wanted it, we would have an opportunity to defend it. I remember getting The Hobbit and nobody had heard of Tolkien, so I had to argue for it like mad. Another book that they absolutely refused to put in because of the title was John W. Campbell's The Moon is Hell. During my twenty-two years at the library I worked in all but two of the forty-seven branches. There were many ethnic enclaves in the city, including Italian, Czechoslovakian, Russian, Polish, Ukranian, Jewish, and Chinese. Just before the war I had an opportunity as special librarian on a citizenship project in Washington D.C. I was to select books on what it was like to be an American. This was for people who were learning the English language, so books had to be rewritten and simplified with a limited vocabulary..."

Sorry this is not related to your op but i want to thank you for your articles on Tolkien and race.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon Middle-earth TV Show News FilmGuy 35 6,323 July 28th, 2022, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Michael
  The Nature of Middle-Earth ZehnWaters 30 2,244 June 6th, 2022, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Tar-Elenion
  Insults in Middle earth badlands 2 187 March 20th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Why did a lot of elves leave Middle Earth at the end ? badlands 3 257 January 28th, 2022, 09:27 PM
  Why didn't the Valar return to Middle-Earth? ZehnWaters 13 1,721 October 21st, 2021, 12:43 AM
Last Post: ZehnWaters
  Constructing Film Middle-Earth ZehnWaters 2 480 September 3rd, 2021, 02:16 PM
Last Post: ZehnWaters
  The alphabets of Middle Earth languages badlands 3 639 May 8th, 2021, 05:29 PM
  Middle-earth and the Great Plague Michael 8 2,023 March 26th, 2021, 11:18 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Good looks in Middle Earth badlands 2 537 March 21st, 2021, 11:03 PM
Music Midwinter in Middle-Earth: Yule be Glad You Did? Alvin Eriol 1 1,014 December 22nd, 2019, 03:19 AM