Collecting Norton
A message for Norton collector’s around the world.

Don’t ever give up!

I have been collecting books by Andre Norton for 40 years now.  I started while very much on a budget and only collected paperbacks for reading purposes. Then I started trying to get a copy of each in good or very good condition. I then discovered they came with different cover art and was bitten by the collecting bug. Keeping track of what I had, was the easy part, keeping track of what I didn’t have was the tricky part. Identifying what I didn’t have eventually led to the website, which then put me in contact with fellow collectors who helped me start collecting hardbacks.

20 years ago I identified 21 hardcover books released by Gregg Press and I started trying to find them. They are limited editions which were distributed to mostly libraries. Today a non-ex-library copy of any of the titles can run on the average around $150 or more. I’ve seen the seven “Witch World” novels (as a set) go for over $1000. If you want them signed you should take out a loan at the bank.

I purchased my first Gregg Press edition 19 years ago. That was a library edition of “Sorceress of the Witch World”. Through buying, selling and trading over the past 19 years I have finally completed the 21 book set of first editions. While purchased as individuals (the collection is made of 4 different sets) it’s very hard to see that they weren’t sets to start. You don’t have to spend a real fortune, you just have to be very patient and always on the hunt. I paid around $30 for each edition, that’s cheap if you look at the average cost of any first edition Norton. I have only purchased one book “The Sioux Spaceman” for over $50 because I really wanted it and its very rare (UK edition by Hale). I now have over 1500 Norton books and other Items pertaining to Andre Norton.

My last Gregg Press edition was the very hard to find “Key Out of Time”. It’s so hard to find that even an ex-library is difficult to obtain. I was in the right place at the right time and found a first edition in good plus condition for under $12.00 including shipping.
Once you decide to collect, set your limit (the most you are willing to pay for any title). Identify your market (what exactly are you looking for) and above all be VERY PATIENT. Do not in any circumstance purchase the first one you find. There will always (well almost always) be a better one.

Publisher ~ Gregg Press
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - andre-norton.com
This is similar to my story. I was mostly looking for all of the titles, and that lead to the books that were only hard cover.

This led me to borrow, and photocopy, MURDERS FOR SALE from the Library of Congress. I expect my X-library copy of THE PRINCE COMMANDS, is the best I'm ever going to do.

The books on my reading shelf are a mix of paper, X-library, and a stray first edition, because that was all I could find. [SERPENT'S TOOTH & THE MONSTER'S LEGACY].

Book collecting is a passion. I don't do this for money, I do this for passion.
Irene
"Murders for Sale" is not only Very Rare but outrageously priced - so I have settled for reading/collecting it as "Sneeze on Sunday" -- I figure that's one I probably will never own.

Same goes for "The Prince Commands" - I do have a couple copies of the paperback. For reading I use the ebook edition.

To quote you
Norton collecting is a passion. I don't do this for money, I do this for passion.

Fortunately - I have built a name for myself in the world of Andre Norton collectors. This has gained me free copies of anything newly released in print, digital, or audible. The Estate has seen to that. I have received an entire collection from a close personal friend of Andre's for the price of going and personally picking it up (got some real gems in that). Have several other contacts that have willed their collections to me (God willing I'll live to see it).

But I WILL NEVER stop looking for and acquiring Norton books. Admittedly, when it comes to collecting Norton I am a Capitalist Pig, for I celebrate the score. I tend to brag on and relish the cheapest acquisition.
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
While considering your budgetary constraints, it's also important to consider your philosophy or mission statement.  One would probably help with the other.  Between being friends with Irene for several years, and my ferengi, bargain-hunting, acquisitive side, my shelves were runnething over in absurd ways.  I laid out all my Norton titles, paperbacks and hardbacks together, by series.  It turned out, I had 5 or more copies of the same title!  [Hey, each one had different cover art.]  Our house is about 800 sq. feet, for the two of us, the cat, and *all* the books and *all* the cds.  

I'm not Irene.  I lack the budget and compulsion to hunt for a particular edition.  What was more important to me was durable copies that'd last my lifetime.  So, I kept the best quality hardbacks I had, and got everything I could in hardback, put them on the shelf, and gloated.  The extra copies went to either friends, the science fiction collection at Georgia Tech [my local sf club was one of their top contributors], or paperbackswap.com [a marvelous book-swapping site].  

These days, most of my reading is online.  [Holding books makes my hands sore for days anymore.]  Now I've got most [if not all] of the Norton titles in e-book.  I'm on all the free or on sale e-book lists I can find.  Norton's a favorite author to be on sale, especially from Early Bird Books.  I know, sf is notorious for bad cover art in any medium, but it's too bad so many of the e-books have abysmal cover art.

The thrill of the hunt and the find [especially on sale] is still as exciting as ever.

Jerrie
Speaking of Collections:

I have started a series of post called "Collections within Collections" over on the Andre A. Norton Facebook page in which, every few days I post a collection that exist within my collection of Andre Norton information. I believe I have amassed enough stuff to keep it going for a while. I am not going to repeat them hear (as I sometimes do). If you are interested then follow the Andre A. Norton Facebook page.

Disclaimer: I am not a big Facebook person. The Andre A. Norton page is the Estate's page and I am the editor.
My Norton collection focuses on the Witch World books, or books which contain a Witch World story. I've come to the reluctant conclusion that I will probably never be able to obtain all of the Russian or Polish editions because they were printed in relatively low quantities, and I'm not willing to give my credit card number to a Russian bookstore (even before the Ukraine issue). I have managed to get nice, non-ex-library copies of the Gregg Press editions of WW books, but am despairing of ever finding the G Prior editions. Does anyone actually own those?

Still, it's the thrill of the hunt, and I still have books to find.
I only personally know of one person who owns actual copies of the G. Prior "Witch World" novels. They are exact copies of the Gregg Press editions including the Gregg Press logo on the spine. With only the title page and the copyright page having any mention that they came from the Publisher/Distributor of the UK editions. He only sent me scans of those pages from one the books. He claims he has the whole set but knows nothing of the other three sets by Gregg Press. He wishes to stay anonymous.
(May 24th, 2022, 09:56 PM)Lots-A-Watts Wrote: I only personally know of one person who owns actual copies of the G. Prior "Witch World" novels. They are exact copies of the Gregg Press editions including the Gregg Press logo on the spine. With only the title page and the copyright page having any mention that they came from the Publisher/Distributor of the UK editions.

Interesting. Good to know.
Prior is a UK publisher.

I don't own a single one.
Possibly because Tandem published an earlier UK edition. I went for those.
Irene

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Passing of Andre Norton, March 17, 2005 Irvkoch 49 31,787 July 2nd, 2022, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Irene
  a vivid Andre Norton moment Jerrie 2 257 June 6th, 2022, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Andre Norton inspired Martha Wells Jerrie 3 887 May 15th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  HUGE Andre Norton sale - today only! Jerrie 3 713 March 28th, 2021, 09:06 PM
  ebay listing - 70 Andre Norton books for sale chris.hakenkamp@gmail.com 1 731 November 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
  Norton Image Project Lots-A-Watts 13 1,472 August 24th, 2020, 12:33 PM
  Mapping Norton Lots-A-Watts 2 907 February 4th, 2020, 09:28 PM
  Cats in Andre Norton Irene 4 1,402 January 14th, 2020, 02:36 PM
  Some very sad news for SF Fandom: Andre Norton: Forum readers. Lots-A-Watts 14 3,609 October 29th, 2019, 12:47 PM
  Andre Norton e-book deal! Jerrie 3 857 November 2nd, 2018, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Jerrie