Nazism, Arthurian myths, C.S. Lewis, and Tolkien
Are there any connections between them?
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
Oh, sure!
Tolkien and Lewis were friends, albeit somewhat estranged in the last years of Lewis' life.
Lewis liked to work with Arthurian legendarium elements at times (e.g. Perelandra and That Hideous Strength), Tolkien didn't.
The peak of their writing careers came as Nazism waged war on the western world. They both heartily disapproved. One of my favorite Tolkien letters is the one (# 30, dated July 1938) in which he responded to a series of insinuating questions from a prewar Nazi-era German publisher (Rütten Loening Verlag) interested in The Hobbit, by trolling them shamelessly in his dissembling reply to their inquiry whether he was of "arisch" ancestry. It ended with the howler-of-a-statement "...if I am to understand that you are inquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people."
Did I miss anything? Big Grin
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Arthurian myths are a sort of pseudo-Celticism (or post-Latin Celtic tradition) so I don't see the Nazis wanting to have anything to do with those stories. But I'm not enough of a Nazi historian to say that with any conviction.

The Nazis gravitated toward the kind of pseudo-Noridicism that Tolkien detested. Modern Nazi sympathizers misrepresent Tolkien's fiction as an example of the kind of mythology they want to believe in.

Lewis, like Tolkien, detested the Nazis and all they stood for. So I can't agree with the idea that there was a connection.
Yeah, about the only connection is that all were descended from Indo Europeans who had vaguely similar religious and mythological storytelling traditions. So a bold hero with a magic sword on some quest was a common theme... but that cold be Sinbad or Hercules too.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Not to mention, the Arthurian legends as we have them and visualize them were collected and transmitted to us over a century after the Norman conquest, some 8 centuries after whatever historical persons and events inspired the tales, by descendants of French immigrants to England in the "high Middle Ages," in terms familiar to them. A Romanized Celtic chieftain and his followers in the AD 400's therefore morphed into fictional royalty and knights with customs, arms, and architecture of the period just before the War of the Roses.

Then, Monty Python got hold of them... Wink

"Run away! Run away!"
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tolkien a racist? badlands 2 160 April 27th, 2022, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  What did Tolkien mean? badlands 2 237 April 17th, 2022, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Tolkien Publications bilbobaggins764 0 152 March 30th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Last Post: bilbobaggins764
  Priscilla Tolkien has sailed away to the undying lands. badlands 3 247 March 11th, 2022, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Is Tolkien anti- religious? badlands 3 359 February 24th, 2022, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  Tolkien memes badlands 2 201 February 23rd, 2022, 11:35 PM
Star Tolkien and sex badlands 2 340 February 23rd, 2022, 11:32 PM
  Tolkien fun facts badlands 1 190 January 26th, 2022, 02:19 AM
  Tumblr blog trolls Tolkien fans Michael 2 580 May 7th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Last Post: badlands
  New Tolkien Book to be published in 2021 Michael 3 890 January 2nd, 2021, 12:23 PM