Tolkien a racist?
https://www.news9live.com/amp/lord-of-th...ble-tropes

I don’t believe so. He was against the Nazis.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
Dimitra Fimi has been a disappointing defender of Tolkien's views on racism. I've never tried to open a dialog with her (we're friends on Facebook) about this because I feel it would detract from the message she is trying to convey.

She's right on virtually every point she makes. But she misses so many other important points.

I wrote about Tokien, racism, and The Lord of the Rings years ago on the Middle-earth Blog - really, before it became a topic popular with the news media. I've updated "Was J.R.R. Tolkien A Racist" several times since 2012.

J.R.R. Tolkien himself spoke out against racism in his lifetime, such as when he gave this address while introducing his successor:

Quote:If we consider what Merton College and what the Oxford School of English owes to the Antipodes, to the Southern Hemisphere, especially to scholars born in Australia and New Zealand, it may well be felt that it is only just that one of them should now ascend an Oxford chair of English. Indeed it may be thought that justice has been delayed since 1925. There are of course other lands under the Southern Cross. I was born in one; though I do not claim to be the most learned of those who have come hither from the far end of the Dark Continent. But I have the hatred of apartheid in my bones; and most of all I detest the segregation or separation of Language and Literature. I do not care which of them you think White.

And he condemned racist attitudes in his private correspondence:

Quote:… for the word [freedom] has been so abused by propaganda that it has ceased to have any value for reason and become a mere emotional dose for generating heat. At most, it would seem to imply that those who domineer over you should speak (natively) the same language – which in the last resort is all that the confused ideas of race or nation boil down to; or class, for that matter, in England. – Letter No. 81

I wish the people defending Tolkien in the media would cite these important words - words from the man himself. They don't have to make excuses or contrive wound up logic that escapes the limited perspective of people who want to accuse Tolkien of racism.

He used racism in The Lord of the Rings to illustrate the shortcomings of human society. The racists always lose. That's a powerful statement, given the "times" he lived in, to put it in words that people keep falling back on.
I just cited a hilarious letter JRRT wrote to a Nazi-era publisher in 1939 who expressed interest in The Hobbit, which sums up his feelings at least so far as 'anti-Semitism' is specifically concerned.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nazism, Arthurian myths, C.S. Lewis, and Tolkien badlands 4 327 April 29th, 2022, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  What did Tolkien mean? badlands 2 323 April 17th, 2022, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Tolkien Publications bilbobaggins764 0 206 March 30th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Last Post: bilbobaggins764
  Priscilla Tolkien has sailed away to the undying lands. badlands 3 314 March 11th, 2022, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Is Tolkien anti- religious? badlands 3 429 February 24th, 2022, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  Tolkien memes badlands 2 264 February 23rd, 2022, 11:35 PM
Star Tolkien and sex badlands 2 401 February 23rd, 2022, 11:32 PM
  Tolkien fun facts badlands 1 250 January 26th, 2022, 02:19 AM
  Tumblr blog trolls Tolkien fans Michael 2 636 May 7th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Last Post: badlands
  New Tolkien Book to be published in 2021 Michael 3 939 January 2nd, 2021, 12:23 PM