Michael's Take on "Iron Sky: The Coming Race"
I could not watch more than the first few minutes of this movie. I'll explain why in a moment.

For context, see my 2009 discussion about the first movie. I was unable to review the movie at the time because it wasn't available in the United States.

Eventually I did get to see Iron Sky on Amazon Prime. As shlock science fiction comedy/parody/something movies go, it was okay. The film was directed by Timo Vuorensola and it received 94,000 ratings on IMDB with an average score of about 5.9. The premise is that a group of Nazi scientists and engineers somehow escaped the destruction of Hitler's regime at the end of World War II and built a refuge on the moon.

Of course, the U.S. and Russian space programs did use German scientists who had been captured, liberated, or surrendered at the end of the war, but historical rocket technology was incapable of launching a moon mission (let alone building a massive base) in 1945. It would be another 25 years (almost) before a man could even walk on the moon.

In Iron Sky, the Nazis plot their return to Earth to conquer the world. It's as weird as the trailer. And I admit I didn't get all the jokes or homages in the movie.

That said, I've been thinking about watching the sequel (released in 2019) for some time. Finally tried to watch it today. That was a mistake. Although also directed by Timo Vuorensola, this movie has a different writing team. Some of the same actors reprise their characters from the first movie but many years have passed.

Things did not go well with the Moon Nazis' war, and mankind has abandoned Earth - returning to the moon base where the good and bad guys must share resources.

I got as far as the scene with the Jobsists, which lampoons everything about Steve Jobs and Apple Computer that you can possibly imagine (in the space of just a couple of minutes). I stopped watching when Lara Rossi threw a sledge hammer through a pair of glass doors. If you don't get the reference, it's an homage to the original Apple Computer TV commercial that won many awards and inspired some knock-offs.

I'm not in any way offended by the way the movie turns the tables on Steve Jobs and Apple - but this isn't my kind of humor and it's absolutely NOT my kind of science fiction.

I leave the trailer below.

Watch Trailer for "Iron Sky: The Coming Race" from YouTube
SF-Fandom not responsible for video content

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Avatar 2 Trailer Coming Soon Michael 2 113 May 10th, 2022, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Trailer for independent film "Iron Sky" Michael 6 1,451 March 19th, 2022, 03:25 PM
  Michael's Thoughts on 'The Monkey King: Havoc in Heaven's Palace' Michael 0 927 March 24th, 2020, 07:03 PM
  Video: UK Trailer for "The Iron Mask" Michael 0 522 February 13th, 2020, 01:03 AM
  Another Dungeons and Dragons movie coming out ... Michael 8 872 December 24th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Michael's Review of "Muder on the Orient Express" (2017) Michael 1 768 November 24th, 2017, 11:30 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Michael's Review of "Alien: Covenant" Michael 1 434 June 28th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Ingvanye
  Transformers: The Last Knight - Michael's Review Michael 0 371 June 25th, 2017, 10:44 PM
  Death Race 2050 Boomstick 1 419 January 22nd, 2017, 03:06 PM
Last Post: august
  Michael's Review of "Passengers" Michael 0 369 December 25th, 2016, 09:40 PM