Slavery in Harry Potter
Hagrid told Hermione that freeing the house elves would do them injustice since it was for their own good the same way people thought of black people in the US.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
I'm not sure J.K. Rowling handled that discussion well. On the one hand, we must concede that someone had to make the specious argument. And Hermione wasn't likely to have a rational argument with anyone from the deeply conservative families. On the other hand, Hagrid's explanation draws attention to something about Wizard society that isn't good and acceptable.

Even the "good" wizard-folk are not perfect. And that's important.

But it also highlights Hagrid's own oppressed status. And it would have been ideal for someone to help Hagrid see that he needed to update his views on what was best for the various creatures of the world. But I think a major theme throughout the books is that the human magic-using community is an oppressive civilization in need of severe change. In a way, having the Death-eaters take over and start persecuting magic-using folks was Rowling's way of saying, "People who think this way eventually eat their own."

That's a real problem in every society that establishes a social barrier. One of the most extreme examples in history was the City of Sparta. They were considered the best soldiers in the world, but by the time they were overcome by the Romans they had so alienated their own people that they could only muster 1,000 Spartan soldiers. All their supporters (many of whom were descended from former Spartan citizens who had been expelled for various infractions of Spartan law and custom) turned against them.

So I don't think Hagrid was supposed to represent the "right" point of view - I think he was supposed to highlight how rational thought had all but been abandoned by even the "good" folk. Hermione brought a fresh perspective to the conversation, one that probably hadn't been heard for generations. But maybe Hagrid wasn't the best character to represent the wrong-sided point of view.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harry Potter vs Encanto badlands 3 286 March 2nd, 2022, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Harry Potter exhibit badlands 0 209 February 20th, 2022, 09:43 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Is Harry Potter really Moaning Myrtle? badlands 3 272 February 6th, 2022, 04:12 AM
  Harry Potter game badlands 2 954 March 14th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Harry Potter bar badlands 3 610 February 5th, 2021, 03:59 PM
  HBO Harry Potter reboot badlands 1 492 January 31st, 2021, 12:24 PM
  Harry Potter theories badlands 10 1,283 November 5th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: august
  Did Harry Potter die? badlands 3 720 November 5th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Last Post: august
  The Hillywood Show Harry Potter parody (video) Michael 4 959 September 17th, 2018, 05:33 PM
  Universal Studios Harry Potter badlands 1 548 September 5th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Irene