The Expanse
I'm coming late to this party.  I JUST started watching "The Expanse" on Amazon Prime.  It is very, VERY good!  I'm only through Season 2, Episode 2 right now, but really loving it.  Gripping storylines, great cliffhangers, interesting characters (but... don't get TOO attached to any of them).

Anybody else here watching?  I'm just 12 episodes in, of 56 - with 6 more episodes coming in a 6th and final season starting December 10, and on subsequent Fridays.  I won't get caught up by December 10, but maybe I can pace it so that I just ease into the series finale on January 14 or so.

Good stuff.  Highly recommended.
Space... the final frontier.
These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.
Her five-year mission:
To explore... strange new worlds,
To seek out... new life and new civilizations,
To boldly go... where no man has gone before!
Following up - to me, it sort of has a Robert Heinlein vibe.  Some of his early novels that involve expansion within the solar system - as well as elements of Starship Troopers.
Her five-year mission:
Not as conversant a group as I remember.  Oh well...

As I continue on (watched 3 last night, to get me through episode 11 of season 2 - 21 of 56 released episodes so far)... I've run into a couple specific Robert Heinlein connections.  This show is based on a book or book series, and I imagine these likely come from the books.  So maybe the author was somewhat influenced by Heinlein.  Here's what I've run into:
  • There was an incident on Ganymede (moon of Jupiter), and references to it being a farming planet.  Heinlein wrote "Farmer in the Sky" about future homestead farmers on... Ganymede!
  • From one of last night's shows - I believe the episode was titled "there be dragons" and that statement was made by someone on an orbiting Venus probe.  Heinlein's "Between Planets" features an intelligent Venerian "dragon" who calls himself "Sir Isaac Newton" - from one of the intelligent races on Venus.
  • In a much earlier episode there was a United Nations ship named the "Nathan Hale" - I can't remember from which one, but I'm pretty certain that names was used by Heinlein for a ship.  Might have been Starship Troopers, but maybe something else.
Her five-year mission:
Sorry.

I've tried to watch it twice. Fell out of the schedule both times.

I keep meaning to try again but I don't know when I'll make time for it. I stay very busy these days.

Anyway - welcome back after a long hiatus.
Thank you!  Nice to be checking out the site again.  I've dropped off from all my message boards.  We're all getting swallowed up by Facebook/Metaverse.

I WOULD strongly recommend this show though.  Thought at least SOME folks here would be watching it - which was the reason I checked back in on you.
Her five-year mission:
I've read that the first season is the hardest one to watch. I've thought about jumping into season 2, getting into that, and then going back to season 1. But, again, I don't have a lot of time for watching TV these days.

In fact, I haven't had much time for my fannish Websites. Haven't written anything for the Midlde-earth blog since July. I've been working an awful lot this year.
(December 6th, 2021, 01:39 AM)Michael Wrote: I've read that the first season is the hardest one to watch. I've thought about jumping into season 2, getting into that, and then going back to season 1. But, again, I don't have a lot of time for watching TV these days.

In fact, I haven't had much time for my fannish Websites. Haven't written anything for the Midlde-earth blog since July. I've been working an awful lot this year.

I could see how some would say that about season 1.  But I'd advise against starting with season 2.  If you do that - I think season 2 would be hard to watch.  Sort of like JRRT lays out so much detail in his early chapters of each story, season 1 sets the stage by introducing and developing the characters, as well as introducing the setting and circumstances.  There's mystery and suspense and you're just trying to figure out what's happening.  Most of that is cleared up by the end of the first season, but without season 1 as preparation, I suspect season 2 would be totally confusing.

We all have to decide for ourselves how to spend our time, so that's entirely up to you and whether you want to work it into your schedule and when.  I'm plowing through and not regretting it.  Currently halfway through 29th episode of the 56 from seasons 1-5 (middle of episode 6, season 3) - and really enjoying it.

PS: some early episodes indeed showed what felt like a depressing reflection of current events - but as the story goes along, it becomes its own distinct thing. And in some ways - parts of the show depict current events that happened after those episodes were released.

If you DO check it out, or if anyone else here is doing so, would love to discuss.

BTW - for those familiar with Heinlein's Starship Troopers BOOK - the series has armor very much like the Mobile Infantry armor depicted there.  Sort of like an army of guys in Iron Man suits.

And Michael - haven't looked at any of your ME writings for some time.  Even July would be very recent for me.  I'll try to get around to check out your recent efforts and see which are of most interest to me.

Thanks,
Her five-year mission:
Maybe I'll read a first season synopsis to help me get past the slow parts.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Trailer for Season 2 of "Expanse" FilmGuy 0 302 July 24th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy