Imperial Lady - Discussion
https://www.tor.com/2021/11/22/weaving-w...rial-lady/
I could swear I've read something by Susan Schwartz but I can't remember what. It would not have been this book. I think she was a guest at one of the Magic Carpet Cons, too - or maybe Galacticon. I remember Clara Miller talking about her. Maybe she only said she'd like to invite Susan to one of the conventions.

What are your impressions of Imperial Lady? I've never read it. Sounds interesting, and for me to say that of a collaboration is something.
The story is of "not quite" China. Back in the day, I found the differences bothered me. Maybe if I were to re-read the book????
Well the "to be read" pile is currently empty.

Susan Schwartz is a lovely woman. Work(ed) in New York.
Warning there are several people by this name. Do not be confused by those.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Shwartz
Irene
At some point I will have to rebuild my collection. I'll keep an eye out for this book.
Michael,
When you decide to rebuild, please let me know. I have several copies of most of the books. Some of these are available for re-homing.
Irene
Thanks, Irene. Will keep that in mind.
Over a month. I just finished IMPERIAL LADY yesterday.

I normally read at a book-a-day pace. This 290 page book taking over a month means I found it hard reading.

The first half of the book is about the Ch'in royal court. I found that the use of a mix of Chinese and English words for the same person or place a bit confusing. I don't like needing to figure out who is who. [I don't want to keep a list of alternate names.]
This first half was slow, and maybe was needed to make the second half make sense, but it felt like a knowledge dump. Telling me everything that the authors knew of ancient China. The second half was more interesting and was about life beyond the Great Wall.
Sadly, that part was also a bit tedious. Once you tell me that the drumhead was probably made of human skin, there is no way I would forget that. As for patching the drumhead mid-adventure, well that probably wouldn't work, as the drumhead would need to be removed, patched, re-installed, and the patch would probably make the drum unplayable.

I don't recommend this book.
Irene
I've not read the book, but the hardcover has gorgeous cover art!  I wish some of the e-books could keep the original covers.

Jerrie
I do judge a book by it's cover (art). But I bought the book because it was Andre Norton.

The cover art is by Royo.
Irene

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Key of the Keplian - Discussion Marron4Gateau 11 358 April 6th, 2022, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Judith Tarr’s Reread Conclusion - Discussion Marron4Gateau 3 167 April 5th, 2022, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Ciara’s Song - Discussion Marron4Gateau 4 185 March 6th, 2022, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Marron4Gateau
  Firehand - Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 124 February 16th, 2022, 09:44 PM
  The Jekyll Legacy - Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 168 February 2nd, 2022, 02:36 AM
  _To The King a Daughter_ discussion Jerrie 1 270 January 24th, 2022, 01:16 PM
  Beast Master’s Circus - Discussion Marron4Gateau 3 336 January 6th, 2022, 10:53 AM
  Day of the Ness - Discussion Marron4Gateau 1 283 December 7th, 2021, 09:51 AM
  The Elvenbane - Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 248 November 8th, 2021, 11:58 PM
  The Shadow of Albion - Discussion Marron4Gateau 1 332 October 27th, 2021, 08:32 AM