Mithril in the 4th age
Its mentioned in the appendix that Moria was reoccupied by the Dwarves 
in the fourth age. Do you think it is possible that the Dwarves started to mine for mithril again?
Aside from "sentimental" reasons, i.e. Dwarrowdelf's central importance to the Longbeards nation of Durin, and its prestige in Dwarfdom generally, I can think of little other strong motivation for Dwarves to reoccupy it. Mithril was the original reason for its existence.

As mithril was already getting difficult to mine from the one vein in Middle Earth beneath Caradhras, and we don't have any now, presumably they didn't have much success in that endeavor! Tongue
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
I think that perhaps the Dwarves have negative feelings mining Mithril, because it was their downfall.
The mithril vein goes down under Caradhras and is connected to underdark where the nameless things reside...
I suspect if Tolkien were to have told that story, he would have used it to explain why the Dwarves stopped mining for mithril, since it's nowhere to be found in the modern world.
(November 22nd, 2021, 02:17 PM)Michael Wrote: I suspect if Tolkien were to have told that story, he would have used it to explain why the Dwarves stopped mining for mithril, since it's nowhere to be found in the modern world.

When Gandalf talks about Mithril in the chapter "a journey in the dark", Gandalf says "Mithril all folk desired it. It could
be beaten like copper and polished like glass; and the Dwarves could make of it a metal, light and yet harder than tempered steel".
I think  that maybe the Dwarves had some sort of process, or perhaps it was an alloy that yielded Bilbo's mail shirt. 
In that case this process has perhaps been lost and thus no new mail shirts.
(November 21st, 2021, 04:55 PM)Alvin Eriol Wrote: Aside from "sentimental" reasons, i.e. Dwarrowdelf's central importance to the Longbeards nation of Durin, and its prestige in Dwarfdom generally, I can think of little other strong motivation for Dwarves to reoccupy it. Mithril was the original reason for its existence.

As mithril was already getting difficult to mine from the one vein in Middle Earth beneath Caradhras, and we don't have any now, presumably they didn't have much success in that endeavor!  Tongue
I cannot agree with your premise that "mithril was the original reason" for the Dwarrowdelf.  The Longbeards established themselves in the Misty Mountains early after their awakening.  But if they were mining mithril in the First Age, and this was its only source, why were they not trafficing it to Nogrod, Belegost, and the Elves of Beleriand?
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
There is an oblique reference to mithril (or something like it) in at least one of the manuscripts. I don't have time to search for it, but it was something Tolkien began retconning into the First Age after The Hobbit, if I recall correctly.

And I don't always recall correctly, but I just can't take the time to scan all those books right now.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mithril as Unobtainium Coconut Ent 20 1,673 September 7th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Would Mithril help??? coruscant 35 2,481 October 26th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Mirkwood Prince
  Frodo and his Mithril coat Elves forever 2 689 January 18th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Doncoriel