Constructing Film Middle-Earth
What setting differences can you think of in the film version of Middle-Earth (for both The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings)? It seems, for instance, that Arnor doesn't get reformed at the end of Return of the King. We know that the Scouring of the Shire didn't happen, or the healing as performed by Sam. There's no mention of Legolas and Gimli creating their colonies. Celeborn leaves with Galadriel (so no East Lorien). Mount Gundabad is apparently quickly traveled to from the Long Lake.

Are there any other setting differences you guys can think of? What sort of consequences would these have on the setting at large?
You can pretty much write off the entire northern history from the movie version of Middle-earth. Although some people argued for years that the LoTR films simply ignored the history of Arnor and the successor realms, the Hobbit films undid all that retconning by having Gandalf visit the "tomb of the Nazgul", which doesn't exist in Tolkien's history.

As for why Peter Jackson did that, my guess is he was trying to avoid the legal complications of using ideas from outside of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Yes, there are the LoTR appendices, but they don't provide a lot of detail about some things the way Unfinished Tales does.

Of course, it could just be that Peter wanted to tell a much simpler backstory to avoid confusing the audience.
(September 3rd, 2021, 12:18 AM)Michael Wrote: You can pretty much write off the entire northern history from the movie version of Middle-earth. Although some people argued for years that the LoTR films simply ignored the history of Arnor and the successor realms, the Hobbit films undid all that retconning by having Gandalf visit the "tomb of the Nazgul", which doesn't exist in Tolkien's history.

As for why Peter Jackson did that, my guess is he was trying to avoid the legal complications of using ideas from outside of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Yes, there are the LoTR appendices, but they don't provide a lot of detail about some things the way Unfinished Tales does.

Of course, it could just be that Peter wanted to tell a much simpler backstory to avoid confusing the audience.

Yeah, I feel like it was just a compression of events coupled with story changes that facilitated that compression.  Other choices are beyond my comprehension.

I had forgotten about all of the changes with the Nazgûl in the films.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon Middle-earth TV Show News FilmGuy 35 6,323 July 28th, 2022, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Michael
  The Nature of Middle-Earth ZehnWaters 30 2,244 June 6th, 2022, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Tar-Elenion
  Andre Norton: Defender of Middle-earth Michael 1 142 May 31st, 2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: bilbobaggins764
  Insults in Middle earth badlands 2 187 March 20th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Why did a lot of elves leave Middle Earth at the end ? badlands 3 257 January 28th, 2022, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Why didn't the Valar return to Middle-Earth? ZehnWaters 13 1,721 October 21st, 2021, 12:43 AM
Last Post: ZehnWaters
  The alphabets of Middle Earth languages badlands 3 639 May 8th, 2021, 05:29 PM
  Video: The very first "Hobbit" film adaptation - in full Michael 2 640 April 23rd, 2021, 10:02 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Middle-earth and the Great Plague Michael 8 2,023 March 26th, 2021, 11:18 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Good looks in Middle Earth badlands 2 537 March 21st, 2021, 11:03 PM