The alphabets of Middle Earth languages
Are there any? Or, just basic words or pronunciation? I wonder if Tolkien ha made alphabets for the languages of Middle Earth?? It would make the languages as popular as the Star Trek ones?
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
Pull out your copy of Lord of the Rings, (or, Return of the King if you've got the traditional three volumes), and check out Appendix E for an explanation of 2 basic writing systems featured. There were also samples in the text (the Ring inscription, the Gate of Moria, Balin's tomb in Moria). The languages and the letters have indeed been popular among fans, but it was often necessary to "fill in gaps" with extrapolations, guesses, and fanfic, as JRRT never undertook to produce formal full dictionaries and complete grammars of his Middle-Earth languages. (The accepted Klingon was invented deliberately by linguist-fans looking to develop a consistent language that could be used in movie dialog; Peter Jackson's production people did some similar work to "flesh out" the Elvish languages and writing to allow passages to be spoken for his LotR movies) Nonetheless, Appendix E ought to give you enough on the subject to read till your eyes bleed.

Also look up the website "Parma Endorion" for more info assembled by serious fans, and the Tolkien Society.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
(May 7th, 2021, 10:12 PM)Alvin Eriol Wrote: Pull out your copy of Lord of the Rings, (or, Return of the King if you've got the traditional three volumes), and check out Appendix E for an explanation of 2 basic writing systems featured. There were also samples in the text (the Ring inscription, the Gate of Moria, Balin's tomb in Moria). The languages and the letters have indeed been popular among fans, but it was often necessary to "fill in gaps" with extrapolations, guesses, and fanfic, as JRRT never undertook to produce formal full dictionaries and complete grammars of his Middle-Earth languages. (The accepted Klingon was invented deliberately by linguist-fans looking to develop a consistent language that could be used in movie dialog; Peter Jackson's production people did some similar work to "flesh out" the Elvish languages and writing to allow passages to be spoken for his LotR movies) Nonetheless, Appendix E ought to give you enough on the subject to read till your eyes bleed.

Also look up the website "Parma Endorion" for more info assembled by serious fans, and the Tolkien Society.
Yes indeed, the Appendices did supply many hours of entertainment.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
If I recall correctly, he described writing modes for Sindarin (Beleriandic and possiblly later), Black Speech, Khuzdul, and "northman". I should scan the indices but I'm kind of busy today and just browsing the forums.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon Middle-earth TV Show News FilmGuy 22 3,176 May 20th, 2021, 07:38 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Middle-earth and the Great Plague Michael 8 1,024 March 26th, 2021, 11:18 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Good looks in Middle Earth badlands 2 142 March 21st, 2021, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Michael
Music Midwinter in Middle-Earth: Yule be Glad You Did? Alvin Eriol 1 685 December 22nd, 2019, 03:19 AM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Amazon has finally begun publishing stuff about the new Middle-earth series Michael 2 727 February 22nd, 2019, 11:16 PM
  What is a difference between a song , lay , or poem in Middle Earth? badlands 2 652 January 28th, 2019, 11:21 PM
Last Post: august
  Songs and Lays of Middle Earth badlands 1 413 January 28th, 2019, 07:53 PM
  Is it a Middle Earth resident? august 1 452 January 27th, 2019, 07:09 PM
  JD Payne, Patrick McKay to Develop Amazon Middle-earth Series Michael 10 1,169 August 10th, 2018, 06:07 PM
Last Post: august
  Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth to be published July 15, 2018 BookBug 0 444 May 16th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: BookBug