Looking for help - Again
Hello Kind Folks,
I have an idea for a new project but I need help.
The Idea – a pronunciation guide for names, places and other terms in Andre’s work.

I often get asked, how do you pronounce this name or that place. And truthfully, I have no idea. Generally my spelling sucks. And lets face it a lot of names and places Andre used are hard to pronounce, especially in the Witch World Saga. For those of you who think I’m nuts or just plain stupid, you are just the person I need.

I would like to send out a list of names, places or things (even the ones I can pronounce) and get people to do the grammatical notation of said word. I still have to create a list but it wouldn’t take to long using all the glossaries I’ve collected and posted on the website over the years. Then I would go through those glossaries and add the grammatical info to it.
And so – I’m looking for volunteers to help with said project. I really want several people to help so I can see what multiple people think of each word.  You can sign up by emailing me at webmaster@andre-norton-books.com.

Any and all help will be deeply appreciated. Again I’m looking for volunteers for I can’t afford to pay you. I can however give you credit on the website.
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton-Books.com
I could help. But I'm not so sure that anything but the phonetic pronunciation is known.
I suppose I could listen to the few audio items that I have.

If you want my help - send me standard email.
Irene
Pretty sure "phonetic pronunciation" is what I'm looking for. I never had an elitist education in English.

Maybe that's why I can't pronounce half the names and places in the Witch World books.

As I said I still need to create said list. I wanted to see if there were any people willing to help me first. Looks like it is my next project.

Best thing about posting in all the places that I did - I can weed out the people who obviously didn't read the post.
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
I heard Andre pronounce a few names. I don't recall being surprised at any of her pronunciations, but there might have been a few.

You're welcome to share the list here.
(January 22nd, 2021, 12:16 AM)Michael Wrote: I heard Andre pronounce a few names. I don't recall being surprised at any of her pronunciations, but there might have been a few.

You're welcome to share the list here.

Thanks Michael,

It's probably going to be a long list. I'm thinking (at least I think) Globally, so I want as many odd words on it as possible. I have gone through your glossary and races list. Now I'm looking at Juanita Coulson's Index. I'm just starting "D" going alphabetically through the titles and I'm at 277 words.

I know most of the names, places and other words may seem obvious to you and even lowly un-educated me. But, for people like my grandson (with a speech impediment) or a couple of my Latino friends they're not that obvious. Over on anther social media place there is a heated discussion on how to pronounce "Mayleen". So I'm setting up a spreadsheet that I'm sending to (so far 8 people) and I will use the pronunciation that gets listed the most for my list on the website.

What does not help is the shitty job Publishing houses do when editing, not to mention the e-book industry which does not seem to employ editors. For instance, in the Witch World Saga I can find - Koldar, Kolder, Koldor & Kaldor all in the same title and same location in that title (of course I'm going with Koldar). So to me it makes since to take a vote, list it and claim that my list is definitive. I mean I already claim my website is the bible on Andre's work.

Plus -- What the hey! It's better than paying attention to the real world. Of which makes me sick.

As for thinking Globally Wink my site gets visits almost daily from over 120 countries.

(January 20th, 2021, 07:59 PM)Irene Wrote: I could help. But I'm not so sure that anything but the phonetic pronunciation is known.
I suppose I could listen to the few audio items that I have.

If you want my help - send me standard email.

But what makes the person doing the readings' pronunciation right?
The audio tapes were done during Ms. Norton's lifetime. to my knowledge only the one book, WITCH WORLD was done, and Ms. Norton signed off.

However the Audio that I am thinking of are the interviews. I know of at least two of those.

There are a few Welsh spellings, and names. But I'd be willing to join the discussions.
Irene
Not to nitpick too much, but my earliest copies of the Witch World novles used "Kolder". And I believe that Andre said "Kol-der" in a presentation I attended (although it might have been Irene).
Michael said:
Quote:Not to nitpick too much, but my earliest copies of the Witch World novles used "Kolder".

Ok - that comment made me go ho-wait-a-minute! I knew I had recently read "Koldar" somewhere. So I went on a search and yep - the Witch World books (first 5 anyway) use "Kolder", then I started looking for "Koldar" and I found it. Guess where Michael - 

On your list of Races of Witch World - throughout the whole glossary you use "Koldar" - Should I go back through the list on my site and change it? (Probably)

Changes made on my site - I said throughout - well it was only 6 places. Tried to go back and find your original but with no luck.
I don't remember writing "Koldar" but as far as I can recall, that would have been a typo.

MYCode Guide