_Scarface_ discussion
https://www.tor.com/2020/12/07/piracy-in...-scarface/

Jerrie
Thanks. I started to read - but this is a serious book, so I swapped for a Donna Andrews "silly" Mystery.
Irene
SCARFACE by Andre Norton

[Excuse me for being redundant - but I will also post this on the Virtual re-read conventions Thread.]

This is the story of a boy raised by a pirate to be a pirate. It includes some nature vs nurture conflicts that are brought out in STAND AND DELIVER so it was a very good next story to be read by Judith Tarr.

Back in the day, this 1948 book was reprinted several times, and I remember reading it in my own public library sometime in the 1960's. In fact this was probably the first Andre Norton book that I read. The copy that I am about to put back on the shelf is a 1957 reprint with some age spots, and at least one ink doodle. The book smells musty, and the end papers were removed, so I will never know what library held the copy in it's collection.

Scarface is the cabin boy on a pirate ship. He feels like he has always been so. He has just reached the age where he needs to shave, and probably needs to do so carefully, as the scar for which he is named ruins his looks on one complete side of his face. This is a pretty good book of the history of free traders, and well pirates. When I was 10 or 12 this was a great book of adventure. Sword Play, the scum that was the port areas. I certainly didn't notice the slaves, bond-men, pressed sailors, or others that peopled the world. I certainly didn't notice that the only two women in the book were the unwashed woman that kept Cheap's house, and the overly socialized Lady who's high born husband had wasted her fortune, and left her to leave England and be mistress of the house for her brother.

Just as the story begins, Scarface learns that his name is Justin.
Irene

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Warding of Witch World - Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 44 June 7th, 2021, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Marron4Gateau
  Spell of the Witch World - Discussion Marron4Gateau 1 118 May 24th, 2021, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Dare to Go A-Hunting! - Discussion Marron4Gateau 4 268 May 18th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Merlin’s Mirror - Discussion Marron4Gateau 4 307 May 4th, 2021, 05:00 PM
  Flight in Yiktor - Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 122 April 26th, 2021, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Marron4Gateau
  Garan the Eternal - Discussion Marron4Gateau 1 137 April 21st, 2021, 06:28 PM
  Brother to Shadows - Discussion Marron4Gateau 4 444 April 13th, 2021, 07:09 PM
  Yurth Burden - discussion Marron4Gateau 4 282 April 3rd, 2021, 04:29 PM
  Here Abide Monsters - Discussion Marron4Gateau 9 344 March 29th, 2021, 04:44 PM
  Breed To Come - Discussion Lots-A-Watts 4 292 March 3rd, 2021, 09:58 AM