New Tolkien Book to be published in 2021
Here is the official press release:

Quote:NEW YORK, Nov. 19, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books & Media will publish The Nature of Middle-earth, a previously unseen collection of writings by J.R.R. Tolkien, in the U.S. on June 24, 2021. Presented for the first time in one volume and edited by Carl F. Hostetter, the writings will transport readers back to the world of The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and The Lord of the Rings.

Deb Brody, HMH’s VP and Publisher, says: “It is well known that J.R.R. Tolkien published The Hobbit in 1937 and The Lord of the Rings in 1954–5. What may be less known is that he continued to write about Middle-earth in the decades that followed, right up until the years before his death in 1973.

“For him, Middle-earth was part of an entire world to be explored, and the writings in The Nature of Middle-earth reveal the journeys that he took as he sought to better understand his unique creation. From sweeping themes as profound as Elvish immortality and reincarnation, and the Powers of the Valar, to the more earth-bound subjects of the lands and beasts of Númenor, the geography of the Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor, and even who had beards!

“This new collection is a veritable treasure-trove offering readers a chance to peer over Professor Tolkien’s shoulder at the very moment of discovery: and on every page, Middle-earth is once again brought to extraordinary life.”

The Hobbit was first published in 1937 and The Lord of the Rings in 1954–5. Each has since gone on to become a beloved classic of literature, and an international bestseller in more than 70 languages, collectively selling more than 150,000,000 copies worldwide.

The Nature of Middle-earth will be published subsequently in several languages by numerous Tolkien publishers worldwide.

CARL F. HOSTETTER has for many years been one of the world’s leading Tolkien experts and respected head of the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship. He has worked as a Computer Engineer for NASA since 1985.

About Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books & Media
For nearly two centuries, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt has published some of the world’s most renowned novels, nonfiction, children’s books, and reference works. As part of a leading global learning company, it is uniquely positioned to offer educational and entertaining content for all audiences. Its distinguished author list includes eleven Nobel Prize winners, forty-eight Pulitzer Prize winners, fifteen National Book Award winners, and more than one hundred Caldecott, Newbery, Printz, and Sibert Medal and Honor recipients. Current and recent authors include Tim O’Brien, Natasha Trethewey, Paul Theroux, Alison Bechdel, Adam Hochschild, Tim Ferriss and a celebrated roster of children’s authors and illustrators including Kwame Alexander, Lois Lowry, and Chris Van Allsburg. HMH is also home to The Best American series® The Whole30®, Weber Grill, How to Cook Everything®, and other leading lifestyle properties; books by J.R.R. Tolkien; and many iconic children’s books and characters, including Curious George®, The Little Prince, and The Polar Express. HMH Productions develops and produces media and licensed products related to brands such as Carmen Sandiego and Oregon Trail. HMH Audio, publishes audio books of HMH front list and backlist titles.

Assoc. Director of Publicity
megan.wilson@hmhco.com

SOURCE Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Related Links
http://www.hmhco.com

I wrote a few thoughts about the book on our sister sites:

SF-Worlds
https://www.sf-worlds.com/2020/11/j-r-r-...dle-earth/

Tolkien Studies on the Web
https://blog.tolkien-studies.com/2020/11...d-in-2021/

To sum up what I wrote on those sites, I think the fact that so many people have worked through the past 50 years to bring J.R.R. Tolkien's previously unpublished writings to light says a great deal about his accomplishment as a writer. He has moved generations of readers not only to love his work but to emulate it, preserve it, and understand it.

Amazon lists the book as being for sale on June 1, 2021.

https://amzn.to/3ff1ToM
I can’t wait since it will a complete version of all most of his work.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
Will there be any significant overlap with material in HoME  / UT / Letters, or is this mostly indeed material not previously made available to the general public? "Rivers and Beacon-Hills of Gondor" is of course a hitherto not generally published essay that CT cited in some chapters of UT.

Little info in the Amazon ad as yet, but the price suggests to me that it's probably about the size of Unfinished Tales.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
It's starting to sound like most if not all the material came from Vinyar Tengwar, the Elvish Linguistic Society's newsletter. I have (or had) some of their issues and have (or had) the full text of "Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor" somewhere.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Movies That Were Better Than the Book" Alvin Eriol 4 295 September 29th, 2022, 11:19 AM
Last Post: ZehnWaters
  Nazism, Arthurian myths, C.S. Lewis, and Tolkien badlands 4 329 April 29th, 2022, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  Tolkien a racist? badlands 2 226 April 27th, 2022, 02:42 PM
  What did Tolkien mean? badlands 2 325 April 17th, 2022, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Tolkien Publications bilbobaggins764 0 210 March 30th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Last Post: bilbobaggins764
  Priscilla Tolkien has sailed away to the undying lands. badlands 3 316 March 11th, 2022, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Is Tolkien anti- religious? badlands 3 429 February 24th, 2022, 06:39 PM
  Tolkien memes badlands 2 266 February 23rd, 2022, 11:35 PM
Star Tolkien and sex badlands 2 402 February 23rd, 2022, 11:32 PM
  Tolkien fun facts badlands 1 253 January 26th, 2022, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Michael