Yankee Privateer - Discussion
I think she liked it.

https://www.tor.com/2020/10/26/andre-nor...privateer/
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton-Books.com
And here I thought she was going to read SNOW SHADOW next. ? Oh well, pulls book off shelf.
Irene
I've now re-read YANKEE PRIVATEER

I kind of agree with Judith Tarr, except for her interpretation of the relationship between Fitz Lyon and Captain Crofts.

This is an adventure story for boys. Published 1955, when boys would NEVER read a story that had girls in it. AND the life at sea was often solitary and lonely.

Fitzhugh Lyon was the son of a British Officer, and a Maryland planters daughter. After his father's death, Fitz and his mother go to live with her sister. After his mother's death his use to the rice plantation is as Bailiff. The invaliding out of the Revolutionary army of one of his cousins, displaces him. But he has the use of a fine horse, a good long-arm rifle, and his schooling in languages, and fencing. But this history is only disclosed slowly, and when he is struck, and Shangjaied onto a Privateer, as a Marine, he is then thought to be stuck-up.

The adventures continue with sea battles (luckily not blow-by-blow), small friendships, successes and failures. Some of good and bad luck conspire to bring him to his father's family, where he fences with his cousin, and escapes with the help of free-traders.

There are only a couple of Norton books that I read less than this. [I think HUON OF THE HORN is one]. But I do read the follow on, STAND AND DELIVER, more often.
Irene

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Warding of Witch World - Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 44 June 7th, 2021, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Marron4Gateau
  Spell of the Witch World - Discussion Marron4Gateau 1 118 May 24th, 2021, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Dare to Go A-Hunting! - Discussion Marron4Gateau 4 268 May 18th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Merlin’s Mirror - Discussion Marron4Gateau 4 306 May 4th, 2021, 05:00 PM
  Flight in Yiktor - Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 122 April 26th, 2021, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Marron4Gateau
  Garan the Eternal - Discussion Marron4Gateau 1 137 April 21st, 2021, 06:28 PM
  Brother to Shadows - Discussion Marron4Gateau 4 443 April 13th, 2021, 07:09 PM
  Yurth Burden - discussion Marron4Gateau 4 281 April 3rd, 2021, 04:29 PM
  Here Abide Monsters - Discussion Marron4Gateau 9 343 March 29th, 2021, 04:44 PM
  Breed To Come - Discussion Lots-A-Watts 4 292 March 3rd, 2021, 09:58 AM