SNOW SHADOW - Discussion
Judith Tarr mentioned that the next book would be SNOW SHADOW

I hadn't read this book in a long time. Not long enough, as I remembered "who done it". 
Another thing, in the middle of the book, I had to go out to purchase candied ginger as... well you'll see. 

This book was published in 1979, and was intended to be a contemporary Romance/Mystery [One of the off camera actors had been badly injured in Vietnam.]

However it is a dark & stormy night, with Victorian mansion, and snow covered bushes making the paths dark and damp. 
In this case Erica has come to a college town near Washington DC, in Maryland, to research on a woman writer. Erica was raised by a much older Aunt who gave her a low opinion of herself. That aunt has now died and Erica has written a novelized life of an author.
By now you should recognize some of the tropes of Andre Norton's writing. Orphan, writer, grown up with much older adult. The scene was probably familiar to Andre Norton from her post WW2 life in Maryland. 
Here things diverge: Erica happens to meet another author, and gets invited to a party. She there gets convinced to move from her expensive hotel to a room in the old Victorian mansion owned by the Austin family. The Patriarch of the family had an infatuation with Jane Austen,, and had collected her works, and left his estate entailed to the purchase of more literary works. 
So the family, as odd as the make up, is living in what has become a boarding house. And then we get the "Dark and Stormy night", well it is dark, and snowing/sleeting, and we have one of those cases of being chased around the garden by shadowy figures. 
Oh and one of the shadowy figures is a man for whom Erica had a tendre (5 years ago), and from whom she ran when she saw him with his wife. He is now a detective for the government.... and so we have spies. 

I quite like this book. I can only explain not reading it more often because I did remember "who did it", and it is something like reading the last chapter of a mystery first.
Irene
She did!

https://www.tor.com/2020/10/13/andre-nor...ow-shadow/

(October 14th, 2020, 08:49 PM)Irene Wrote: Judith Tarr mentioned that the next book would be SNOW SHADOW

I hadn't read this book in a long time. Not long enough, as I remembered "who done it". 
Another thing, in the middle of the book, I had to go out to purchase candied ginger as... well you'll see. 

This book was published in 1979, and was intended to be a contemporary Romance/Mystery [One of the off camera actors had been badly injured in Vietnam.]

However it is a dark & stormy night, with Victorian mansion, and snow covered bushes making the paths dark and damp. 
In this case Erica has come to a college town near Washington DC, in Maryland, to research on a woman writer. Erica was raised by a much older Aunt who gave her a low opinion of herself. That aunt has now died and Erica has written a novelized life of an author.
By now you should recognize some of the tropes of Andre Norton's writing. Orphan, writer, grown up with much older adult. The scene was probably familiar to Andre Norton from her post WW2 life in Maryland. 
Here things diverge: Erica happens to meet another author, and gets invited to a party. She there gets convinced to move from her expensive hotel to a room in the old Victorian mansion owned by the Austin family. The Patriarch of the family had an infatuation with Jane Austen,, and had collected her works, and left his estate entailed to the purchase of more literary works. 
So the family, as odd as the make up, is living in what has become a boarding house. And then we get the "Dark and Stormy night", well it is dark, and snowing/sleeting, and we have one of those cases of being chased around the garden by shadowy figures. 
Oh and one of the shadowy figures is a man for whom Erica had a tendre (5 years ago), and from whom she ran when she saw him with his wife. He is now a detective for the government.... and so we have spies. 

I quite like this book. I can only explain not reading it more often because I did remember "who did it", and it is something like reading the last chapter of a mystery first.
thank you for the link. I pretty much agree with Judith Tarr's review.

In the book Erica is a product of her times, and Andre Norton of her's.

I certainly know that my own racism sometimes pops up to surprise myself. Hopefully I learn from those surprises.
Irene

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Perilous Dream - Discussion Marron4Gateau 2 117 2 hours ago
Last Post: Irene
  The Warding of Witch World - Discussion Marron4Gateau 6 173 June 26th, 2021, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Michael
  No Night Without Stars - Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 65 June 22nd, 2021, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Marron4Gateau
  Spell of the Witch World - Discussion Marron4Gateau 1 174 May 24th, 2021, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Dare to Go A-Hunting! - Discussion Marron4Gateau 4 339 May 18th, 2021, 09:25 AM
  Merlin’s Mirror - Discussion Marron4Gateau 4 362 May 4th, 2021, 05:00 PM
  Flight in Yiktor - Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 175 April 26th, 2021, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Marron4Gateau
  Garan the Eternal - Discussion Marron4Gateau 1 171 April 21st, 2021, 06:28 PM
  Brother to Shadows - Discussion Marron4Gateau 4 488 April 13th, 2021, 07:09 PM
  Yurth Burden - discussion Marron4Gateau 4 326 April 3rd, 2021, 04:29 PM