Norton Image Project
Michael and Irene,  (or anybody else for that matter)

I'm looking to see if either of you have an objection.

I'm just a couple days away from starting a new project over on another not-so-social media site and I am wondering if I can repeat it here. For I did not realize until today that is was so much easier to post images here than your old site.

What I hope to do each day is posting images of Andre titles with some of the publishing info. I'm starting with the series and grouping images together that have something in common. Like same publisher or same cover artist and the like.

And yes I will resize the images down to a more reasonable size.

Please give me your thoughts.
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton-Books.com
WELL~

I guess we can forget this idea.
I posted 5 images to the ACE Books thread. They were there for a couple hours then they disappeared. I tried everything to reinstate them and ended up posting a link to the ones on my site. According to the controls here the attachments still exist but nothing I do will make them visible.
I'm guessing that like the old site I'm not authorized to post images. - Go figure?
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
I can see the images in your post just fine!
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
(August 21st, 2020, 11:14 PM)Alvin Eriol Wrote: I can see the images in your post just fine!

Alvin,
I have a couple of questions. What OS are you using? What Browser are you using? Do you see the images on the post or are you clicking on the hyperlinks?

I added the hyperlinks once it became apparent that there was a problem with the images.
I've got 2 laptops, a desktop and a kindle fire. The images do not show on any of those. I have called 3 friends and had them look - no images showing. All the systems involved are Windows 10. The browsers are Google Chrome, Windows Edge, Internet Explorer and Silk. No images shown. A couple systems show the little square, when you hover it shows a file exist but when you click it gives you nothing.

For extra weird - the system used to create the post shows the images until I log out and come back. I've tried system recovery and gone backwards on one machine, updated another machine. When logged in I can see that I have attachments affiliated with said post but cannot see them.

I'm trying to solve this so that I can post my cover tour here. Even avid Andre collectors find new things when I post all the odd tie-ins that I've found.
I'd be happy with just a link here to your collected site.
Irene
(August 22nd, 2020, 02:51 PM)Irene Wrote: I'd be happy with just a link here to your collected site.

Well,
That's good because I have exhausted all my know-how as to what the problem can be.
Links are my only solution.
(August 22nd, 2020, 02:02 PM)Lots-A-Watts Wrote:
(August 21st, 2020, 11:14 PM)Alvin Eriol Wrote: I can see the images in your post just fine!

Alvin,
I have a couple of questions. What OS are you using? What Browser are you using? Do you see the images on the post or are you clicking on the hyperlinks?

I added the hyperlinks once it became apparent that there was a problem with the images.
I've got 2 laptops, a desktop and a kindle fire. The images do not show on any of those. I have called 3 friends and had them look - no images showing. All the systems involved are Windows 10. The browsers are Google Chrome, Windows Edge, Internet Explorer and Silk. No images shown. A couple systems show the little square, when you hover it shows a file exist but when you click it gives you nothing.

For extra weird - the system used to create the post shows the images until I log out and come back. I've tried system recovery and gone backwards on one machine, updated another machine. When logged in I can see that I have attachments affiliated with said post but cannot see them.

I'm trying to solve this so that I can post my cover tour here. Even avid Andre collectors find new things when I post all the odd tie-ins that I've found.

I assume this is your 11:21am yesterday post you're referring to. I just checked on my desktop system which still runs Windows 7, and I see the images. When I originally observed it after you made that post, it was on my Win 10 laptop. I use Firefox on both.

For laughs, I just tried the IE on my Win 7 system and they aren't showing, just "placeholder" symbols. No luck w/ Google Chrome on that system either. It didn't even show placeholders.
Added: Doesn't show up on SeaMonkey in Win 7 either. (I only used SeaMonkey for e-mail as a rule). Yes, I am referring to seeing the images in-line in your post.

BTW, I seldom deliberately log off the board. I could see what effect that has, too.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
I see the images. I don't object to your posting either them or just links. If it's easier for you to only post links from now on, I think that will be fine. People can see the first set of covers.

Sorry you're having problems. I wish I could spend more time working on the forum software.
Thanks Michael for looking into what you did.

I just tried Firefox again and can only see the placeholders. If it was just me I wouldn't care but I really did call 3 friends with no luck. So at least it's not me.

No matter - I'll just use links to my images. I was just trying to keep users from having to click on a link. Some people don't like clicking on links to see stuff. At least the links open in a new tab. Just thought of the fact that the links drop you in the middle of the slideshow on a page at my site. Tis better for me in the long run. Sells the site.
I like the idea of going to your site, and looking at alll the images there.... especially if I can get a gander at those hidden signatures.

Thank you for your time and effort. Really.
Irene
Okay, I see the problem but don't know (yet) why it's a problem.

Chromium-based browsers like Brave, Chrome, Edge, Opera, and Vivaldi can all see the attachments.

Firefox cannot. I have all those browsers installed on my computer and Firefox is the only one that doesn't see the attachments. This appears to be due to a Mozilla code-base issue (it also affects Thunderbird email).

As far as I can tell, it's built into Firefox's security settings. There used to be an option to allow images to display by Website. But they seem to have removed it.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will ever be a fix. Mozilla just laid off a large group of its developers.

There may be an extension you can download and install.

Alternatively, if you don't mind sharing bandwidth with SF-Fandom you can use the IMG markup here.

So you link directly to the image on your Website. The syntax would look like this (I am inserting spaces to make it readable):

[ IMG ] https://www.example.com/myimagefile.jpg [ /IMG ]

Here is a link to MyBB's default help page for forum users (this is on SF-Fandom, part of the forum software).

LINK: MyBB Code Embedding Help
Ok - I fully get the IMG markup formula, my image generator uses similar to show the slideshows and galleries.

I'm using Microsoft Edge as my browser since Mozilla started having so many problems. None of my systems see it using any of browser. My Kindle uses silk and it can't see them.

I'll make one of the other options work.
Wow. I don't know why Edge wouldn't show it to you. I haven't tested Silk but I've got that. I'll see if I can figure out something there.

It sounds like you may have a security setting somewhere but I don't know why the image attachments would be treated that way.
Well - the syntax code does like the way my image generator labels the images. Don't worry about it Michael. It's my problem.

So it looks like links is it.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HUGE Andre Norton sale - today only! Jerrie 3 203 March 28th, 2021, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Passing of Andre Norton, March 17, 2005 Irvkoch 47 29,268 February 18th, 2021, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Michael
  ebay listing - 70 Andre Norton books for sale chris.hakenkamp@gmail.com 1 365 November 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
  Mapping Norton Lots-A-Watts 2 566 February 4th, 2020, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Cats in Andre Norton Irene 4 963 January 14th, 2020, 02:36 PM
  Some very sad news for SF Fandom: Andre Norton: Forum readers. Lots-A-Watts 14 2,306 October 29th, 2019, 12:47 PM
  Andre Norton inspired Martha Wells Jerrie 2 564 February 16th, 2019, 05:41 PM
Last Post: jmelsna
  Andre Norton e-book deal! Jerrie 3 589 November 2nd, 2018, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Jerrie
  Norton novels in HumbleBundle! Jerrie 2 481 July 26th, 2018, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Marron4Gateau
  Andre Norton re-read on tor.com Jerrie 6 649 February 27th, 2017, 12:27 AM
Last Post: rkomar