ACE Books
I just spent at least 40 hours of the last week going through all the titles on my Andre Norton website and redoing only the ACE book listings. I made all the listings understandable (at least to me) and added over 200 images of ACE books that I did not have pictured. Boy - ACE Books records are a mess. The previous listings were posted on the site 12 years ago. I used the work of a PHD as a base for redoing them. He is the same guy that I got the ACE Doubles info from. And yes even he is confused by ACE Books records. All my data verified at three separate sources, so it's as good as it's going to get.
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton-Books.com
Your site is an amazing testimonial to Andre's legacy.
(August 19th, 2020, 01:39 AM)Michael Wrote: Your site is an amazing testimonial to Andre's legacy.

Thanks Michael - I appreciate that. With this Covid crap and the remoteness of where I live it takes me 2 hours just to get to an open restaurant. So I have nothing but time on my hands and I have been spending it on the website. From labeling all the book cover images (maybe some of you noticed) to cleaning up stuff. My aim is to get it right.

And then as a collector of paperbacks I identified 6 must have Andre titles (editions) that I'm actively searching for right now. Ordered 1 yesterday, have a bid out on 3. When I get them I'll share the info and tell you why they are special at least to my collection. I've decided being a completist is a phycological disorder - At the least it will drive you nuts.
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Yeah, that whole completist thing is very contagious.  I blame Irene.  

Ten years ago, when I did a first big purge, I laid out all the Norton titles in multiple rows on the couch [and the floor, and...].  There were some titles I even had up to 6 different copies of!  Because they had different cover art, no less.  My whole house being *maybe* 900 square feet [counting the garage], I don't have room for that kind of indulgence.  I got it down to one copy of each title, preferably hardback.  Ex-library hardbacks are fairly cheap, & I've had luck finding them at book sales, etc.  I've upgraded when & as I could, & only have a few in paperback, most of which only ever came out in paper.  I'll never have that hardback _Prince Commands_ [color me cheap], but it works.  I'm relieved to have gotten off so lightly.

Wink

Jerrie
OK - I misspoke slightly for it is not six titles but five titles & 6 editions - ACE did some some funky things - from not keeping very good records, misprint the info on the copyright page, running the edition numbers backwards with at least a few titles, skipping numbers and so on. If you study ACE you'd know what I'm talking about. Then there's this ~~

Plague Ship ~ #66836-4 1981 $2.25 204pg cover by Davis Meltzer
Plague Ship ~ #66836-4 1982 $2.25 204pg cover by Vincent Difate

Witch World ~ #89706-1 1982 $2.50 282pg cover by J.H. Breslow
Witch World ~ #89706-1 1982 $2.50 282pg cover by John Pound

Web of the Witch World ~ #87876-8 1981 $2.25 190pg cover by Davis Meltzer
Web of the Witch World ~ #87876-8 1981 $2.25 190pg cover by John Pound

Year of the Unicorn ~ #95255-5 1980 $2.50 281pg cover by J.H. Breslow
Year of the Unicorn ~ #95255-5 1980 $2.50 281pg cover by John Pound

Zarsthor's Bane ~ #95491-X 1981 $2.50 204pg cover by Manuel Sanjulian
Zarsthor's Bane ~ #95491-X 1981 $2.50 204pg cover by John Pound

--------------------------------------------------------------

And some of these are hard to find.
First : Jerrie, I am deeply sorry to have "infected you'

Jay: I have several of these. BUT, they are stored, double deep on the top shelf, and I'm out of time right now. I'll get the ladder, and climb up when I get home.

Also I have mixed notes: is JB John Pound or Harry Bennett
Plague Ship ~ #66836-4 1981 $2.25 204pg cover by Davis Meltzer
Plague Ship ~ #66836-4 1982 $2.25 204pg cover by Vincent Difate

Witch World ~ #89706-1 1982 $2.50 282pg cover by J.H. Breslow
Witch World ~ #89706-1 1982 $2.50 282pg cover by John Pound

Web of the Witch World ~ #87876-8 1981 $2.25 190pg cover by Davis Meltzer
Web of the Witch World ~ #87876-8 1981 $2.25 190pg cover by John Pound

Year of the Unicorn ~ #95255-5 1980 $2.50 281pg cover by J.H. Breslow
Year of the Unicorn ~ #95255-5 1980 $2.50 281pg cover by John Pound

Irene
First: Jerrie - I am sorry.

Jay: I have several of these, but they are stored on the top shelf, double deep, and I need to go out now.

Zarsthor's Bane I don't have 1981 copy. but I do own 1978 & 1986
On the reading shelf: 0-441-95490-1 195 which states cover Sanjulian

I'll look at the rest, and send the results to you via email. Then you can request covers etc.
Irene
Thanks,

But I'm not looking for cover-art ~ I have that.

I'm looking for the actual books to add to my collection. Of the ten books listed I have four and I just ordered four more. Two are proving rather hard to find. Both by the same artist.

Of those 10 I have at least 1 copy of each title with that cover. Just not that edition of that title and cover. I said I was a completist. My goal is to collect every edition of every paperback that has Andre's name on it. I'm actually pretty close. Well more than 85% close.

It seems the imprints - "ACE Tempo" went to East Coast of the USA and "ACE SF" went to the West Coast - I'm probably wrong but it sure seems that way.

OH - JB is actually JHB for J.H. Breslow - some sites attribute the JHB or fancy JB to Harry Bennett but that is wrong. Harry Bennett only did two covers for Andre titles "Velvet Shadows" and "The White Jade Fox" and he signs his name, not initials.
JHB - J.H. Breslow did four covers for Andre titles. I have researched his signature extensively and it only has slight changes throughout his career. In my research I even found examples of his signature on art at the Smithsonian.
The confusion seems to be mine, and the monogram J-B which is probably what you show as J.H. Breslow

Plague Ship ~ #66836-4 1982 $2.25 204pg cover by Vincent Difate CONFIRMED

Witch World ~ #89706-1 1982 $2.50 282pg cover by J-B CONFRMED

Web of the Witch World ~ #87876-8 1981 $2.25 190pg cover by ARTIST UNLISTED definitely not Meltzer

Year of the Unicorn ~ #95255-5 1980 $2.50 281pg cover by J-B CONFIRMED

I do not have the 1981 edition. but 1978 is Sanjulian and 1984 is definitely Pound

I will need to go through all of my other attributions to Pound, and determine if they were "J-B" or "Pound"
as both seem to sign their art. I envision several hours up on the ladder pulling down paperbacks. [Luckily they are in boxes., so I'll only need to pull down 9 boxes.
Irene
99% of Pound covers are signed "Pound" - Pound did 8 cover for Andre titles and they are all Witch World titles.

The four J.H. Breslows covers are signed - 2 have the letters in a circle which is common for him (on all his other work) - and two just a J & B. On most of his work you can see a line connecting the J & B (thus the H).

= J.H. Breslow Cover (signature bright and clear)
http://andre-norton-books.com/the-witch-...d612e23-12

= Pound cover (signature is lower right)
http://andre-norton-books.com/the-witch-...d612e23-13

Notice the numbers and price are the same.

And I'm sorry but you are incorrect 
"Web of the Witch World ~ #87876-8 1981 $2.25 190pg cover by ARTIST UNLISTED definitely not Meltzer" - MELTZER COVER DOES EXIST

= Meltzer cover (signature bright and clear)
http://andre-norton-books.com/the-witch-...3957b51-12

= Pound cover (signature a little hard to see)
http://andre-norton-books.com/the-witch-...3957b51-13

Notice the numbers and price are the same.

And to clear up the thought that signature on "Year of Unicorn" is actually H B [with fancy H](for Harry Bennett) like some sites suggest here is a cover with Harry Bennett's signature. NOTE his work is hard to find on the web as he is not that well known.
http://andre-norton-books.com/worlds-of-...91f0c1b8-1

Signature in lower right corner but is a little hard to see. (Book in hand with magnifying glass and it's clear-as-day)

Irene - no offence intended but if you want to clear up your inventory notes you should compare them to my site - - I have spent thousands of hours over the past 17 years trying to get these listings correct (minus small typos) and 99% of the covers are represented with an image.

And yes I have actually researched the work of many of the artist that did covers for Andre titles - in most cases it was the only way to tell who did what. (Covers are very important when you collect paperbacks) The only artist I really have trouble with is Ed Emshwiller for he was famous for not signing his work, and doing multiple versions of the same subject matter.
Cool. Where on that "scary" witch does the Pound show? I couldn't find it. {WEB of the WW]

As for VELVET SHADOWS - I can see the black lettering, I just couldn't read the text. Even with a magnifier, It is more of a JH ANN

Thank you. I like to keep my records straight.
Irene
Irene,
It's in the bottom right corner but but the background is so dark it's almost invisible.

If you have doubts that it is Pound go look at this page and compare the eight images.

http://andre-norton-books.com/miscellane...pound-john

I'm having major problems with this post - for details see the Norton Image Project thread.

https://forums.sf-fandom.com/thread-35760.html
Thank you.
I now see it in your photo, very faint. In neither of the two copies of WEB that have the same picture can the signature be seen. One because that is where there is a crease in the cover, and in the other, it just appears to be slight greying of the background.

I enlarged the scan of the book that I created. Nope, can't be seen. Well another mystery solved.
Irene

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ebay listing - 70 Andre Norton books for sale chris.hakenkamp@gmail.com 1 404 November 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Witch World books! Jack123456 17 1,896 February 4th, 2020, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Jack123456
  Five Senses Boxed set of e-books on sale! Jerrie 6 649 January 16th, 2019, 12:27 PM
  Dust and books. Irene 36 2,173 November 5th, 2018, 01:59 PM
  Smoke and Books Irene 5 629 June 24th, 2018, 04:47 PM
  Piracy of Andre's books Taliesin 3 644 February 3rd, 2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Keep your books above water Irene 5 555 September 15th, 2017, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Books, Books everywhere and not a thing to read Irene 18 1,102 July 19th, 2016, 11:19 AM
  Andre-Norton-Books.com needs some serious help Lots-A-Watts 9 861 March 26th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Finding things among the books Irene 10 645 December 25th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts