Chole and Nackie - HELP!
Hello Kind Folks

Need some Help ~ Please

ISFDB has a listing that I cannot identify.

Story Title
Chole and Nackie - 1967

In the 1991 German Anthology ~ Frohes Fest!: Science-fiction-Weihnachts-Erzählungen, 978-3-453-05369-4, Edited by Wolfgang Jeschke and Uwe Luserke ~ cover by James Warhola ~~~~ English translation of book title "Happy Holidays !: Science fiction Christmas stories"

The only short story from 1967 that I am aware of is "Wizard's World"

What is the Short Story? Is the title real? 
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton-Books.com
There is no Norton story with that title [that I knew of - 10/31/2020].

The Norton Short fiction that are relating to Christmas (or might be) are
"A Very Dickensy Christmas"     MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS, Silbersack & eds ROC       1992
"Toymakers Snuffbox" , GOLDEN MAGAZINE August 1 1966
"Hob's Pot" CATFANTASTIC II, A.Norton & M.Greenberg eds. 1991

Perhaps you could give me some of the first paragraph? I could get it translated.

Note: There is at least one English anthology, that claims Andre Norton, but the story is not in the text.

I'd be interested enough, that if the price for the book is $20 or so, I might purchase, and have my friends with German Language skills try to translate.
Irene
(July 9th, 2020, 03:39 PM)Irene Wrote: There is no Norton story with that title.

The Norton Short fiction that are relating to Christmas (or might be) are
"A Very Dickensy Christmas"     MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS, Silbersack & eds ROC       1992
"Toymakers Snuffbox" ,  GOLDEN MAGAZINE August 1       1966
"Hob's Pot" CATFANTASTIC II, A.Norton & M.Greenberg eds.   1991

Perhaps you could give me some of the first paragraph? I could get it translated.

Note: There is at least one English anthology, that claims Andre Norton, but the story is not in the text.

I'd be interested enough, that if the price for the book is $20 or so, I might purchase, and have my friends with German Language skills try to translate.

In the 3 stories you post there are no characters with the names Chole or Nackie - so I'm thinking it's not one of them.

If I had the story I could handle the translation of it.

ISFDB list the contents of the anthology but they only state the publication date for Chole and Nackie (in German it's Chole und Nackie)

I found the book at ABE books for 2.5 euroes but they want 45 euroes for shipping.
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
There is a book listed on Google Books called The Magic Sequence: Volume One which purports to republish several Andre Norton collections. One of them is Octagon Magic, which includes a story titled "Chole and Nackie".
(July 9th, 2020, 09:08 PM)Michael Wrote: There is a book listed on Google Books called The Magic Sequence: Volume One which purports to republish several Andre Norton collections. One of them is Octagon Magic, which includes a story titled "Chole and Nackie".

Thanks Michael - it is indeed one of the chapters in Octagon Magic
It gets tricky to catalogue stuff when a chapter title gets listed as a story title.
I might have found it on my own by searching through the 4 books published in 1967 but it would have taken a little time for me to get there without your help.
thank you Michael.

I saw the story "Octagon Magic", but didn't think to check the chapter headings in the book.

there are currently a half dozen of this title on ABE
Search
Title: Frohes Fest
Author: Jeschke

As the cheapest of these had "9" copies, I have just ordered one. It may take a month to get here. Price was $11 US
Irene
Careful if you order - a search will bring up 2 version
1st edition does not have the story in question - only 186 pages
2nd edition with same isbn number is expanded and is 396 pages

You want the one with Santa sitting next to Christmas tree and surrounded by Sci Fi toys on the cover.

Interesting - no matter how I search I can not bring up any results that point to answer at google books.

But I did check my copy of Octagon Magic and read the chapter - it IS the answer to my query.
I'm sorry that I didn't wait for your advice. The picture of the book is a stock photo, this did have a helmeted Santa. So, who knows what I'll get.... but for $11 I can even stand for it to be a "Miss".

If nothing else, I really wanted to learn some German (a 2020 trip now postponed until 2022). This might be my excuse to learn.

Shipping is between 2 and 60 days, so before October.
Irene
A miracle has happened.
I ordered the book July 10th (or so), and had an original delivery date of October 2. But after doing some checking, the book was shipped on September 15, so I gave them another month.

Through my mail slot today was a paperback with two front covers.
One is "frohes fest!" with the sub title Dreizehn schlimme Bescherungen and the Space Helmeted guy in a Santa suite (with Space dome houses in the background and possibly the earth high in the sky.
The other is "frohes fest!" with the sub title Siebzehn scnone Bescherungen, and on the cover a traditional santa, but surrounded by about a dozen squigly alien creatures. (With appropriate webby stockings hung from a shelf).

This second half has "Cloe und Nackie", complete with mention of Miss. Ashmeades.

I can type it in, or scan, but if I scan, I'll probably crease the spine of this 1991 book.

Tell you what, I'll scan the covers and send those, via email, to Jay.
Irene
(October 31st, 2020, 06:59 PM)Irene Wrote: A miracle has happened.
I ordered the book July 10th (or so), and had an original delivery date of October 2.   But after doing some checking, the book was shipped on September 15, so I gave them another month.

Through my mail slot today was a paperback with two front covers.
One is  "frohes fest!" with the sub title Dreizehn schlimme Bescherungen  and the Space Helmeted guy in a Santa suite (with Space dome houses in the background and possibly the earth high in the sky.
The other is "frohes fest!" with the sub title Siebzehn scnone Bescherungen, and on the cover a traditional santa, but surrounded by about a dozen squigly alien creatures. (With appropriate webby stockings hung from a shelf).

This second half has "Cloe und Nackie", complete with mention of Miss. Ashmeades.

I can type it in, or scan, but if I scan, I'll probably crease the spine of this 1991 book.

Tell you what, I'll scan the covers and send those, via email, to Jay.

What do you mean by "Two Front Covers?" or by second half?
This is a "Double" book. The way ACE Doubles were printed.
I have emailed you a scan of each of the covers, and typed what was on the spine.

Did they not get received? ... Probably to big. I'll try again, with Just the cover of the half which has the Norton story.
Irene

MYCode Guide