Star Ka'at World discussion
https://www.tor.com/2020/06/09/kids-save...aat-world/

Jerrie
OK. Book is off of the shelf. I'll read it before I read the review.
Irene
I started this, but even the first few pages are hard to read... I need a kid to test read this for me. Else, it just insults the child reader. It also assumes that you read the previous book.
Irene
Judith Tarr seems to like this book, but her review is actually a recap of the whole book, including the ending.

Me. I found it boring. the children are given "cat fabric" tunics to wear. Of course, no underwear, nor shorts, and the shoes are slippers.

So, neither Jim nor Ellie Mae can think the food machines to work, and since Tiro & Merr have been gone for a couple of days, they need to go to other cats to request food. What they git is sort of a raw fish soup. Not very good for human stomachs. So, Jim worries some, and then reasons some. the Ka'ats didn't build the machines, so there must be hand controls. [If he thinks of voice controls, he realizes that he doesn't speak the language.] Maybe the Hsi city, made by men, might have an answer. So it takes half of the book, for Jim to decide to borrow a flyer, because maybe there are hand controls. Sadly he forces Ellie to come along. In the city they "hear" Tiro and Merr in trouble.

We don't know if Tiro & Merr went after the children, or had been in the city for the two days that hey had been missing.

I didn't find the view of Super Computers bad. After all, in our world computers get smaller for the human public , but someplace there are still super computers. And as those get miniaturized, there are new super computers.
I did find the robots designed badly. OK that was the "view" of robots in 1976, But if you give your robots 4 arms, there is no need to give them two legs. [Sort of the design differences between R2D2 and C3PO.] going up and down stairs, won't be easy for these robots.

Worst is the fact that Jim coerces Ellie to go along with him. so is this humans need to dominate coming out?

this book feels heavy handed. Perhaps it reflects Dorothy Madlee's skills and choices, with Andre Norton doing the clean up (Which she did for Enid Cushing.

I've pulled the next book off the shelf, but don't look forward to reading it. I may squish a couple of other books in.
Irene

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  _The White Jade Fox_ discussion Jerrie 2 139 Yesterday, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Irene
  _Stand To Horse_ discussion Jerrie 2 70 August 9th, 2020, 09:44 AM
  STAR KA'ATS AND THE WINGED WARRIORS Irene 12 124 July 24th, 2020, 10:49 AM
  _Star Ka’ats and the Plant People_ discussion Jerrie 1 240 July 2nd, 2020, 10:03 AM
  Star Ka'at discussion Jerrie 4 157 May 31st, 2020, 07:09 PM
  At Sword’s Point - Discussion Marron4Gateau 2 403 May 13th, 2020, 07:45 PM
  The Sword is Drawn - Discussion Marron4Gateau 8 270 May 8th, 2020, 10:27 AM
  Sword in Sheath - Discussion Marron4Gateau 2 222 May 6th, 2020, 08:53 AM
  Discussion - Knave of Dreams Marron4Gateau 5 205 April 26th, 2020, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  The Prince Commands - Discussion Marron4Gateau 7 613 March 24th, 2020, 03:34 PM