Andre's Reading Corner - Changeling
Introducing

Changeling

http://andre-norton-books.com/andre-s-reading-corner
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton-Books.com
Thanks for posting this; it's been too long since I read it.

Jerrie
I tried to read it on-line, and got about 5 pages. Luckily you listed where it was Collected. I've pulled LORE OF THE WITCH WORLD off the shelf and will re-read the story.
Irene
(June 4th, 2020, 07:22 PM)Irene Wrote: I tried to read it on-line, and got about 5 pages.  Luckily you listed where it was Collected. I've pulled LORE OF THE WITCH WORLD off the shelf and will re-read the story.

5 Pages?
What brouser are you using?

In Mozilla, Internet Explorer, Edge - it's only 2 pages.

Not sure what you are talking about.
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton-Books.com
My eyes get tired reading stuff on line. I guestimate that I read 5 pages before my eyes got tired. Shall we just say that I have old eyes and go on to other things.

In LORE OF THE WITH WORLD the story is about 30 pages. I just checked, and yup I was on the 5th page when I quit trying to read on-line.

The book is on my to-be-read pile.

PS: The Avatar that I am currently using is pretty accurate, save that my hair is pony tailed.
Irene
Finished reading the story. I like the idea of closing the circle. I suppose that the relationship between the main characters is possible in war time.
Irene
Ms. Norton managed a pretty good Lovecraftian pastiche there, for a while! The happy ending was the main difference, of course. The Deep Ones, nemmine Cthulhu or Yog-Sothoth, nor even Nyarlathotep, wouldn't have been so easily defeated.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
I suppose, Andre Norton was devising her own ending And remember, those blue stones were being put BACK in place.
For one person the challenge was impossible, especially with the daylight needed.
The moral of the story was, working together makes things possible.

I'm not a Lovecraft reader, but aren't the creatures of his nightmares mobile? I believe (from the first book) that the toads could draw someone to their circle, but were restricted to staying in their circle.

Andre Norton's monsters are often monsters of our own world: Public Servants who close the "aid" office before a person can delay the closing of the office. People who won't give a young man on the "all work" line a job.
Her monsters often prowl the peaks, and the old road, but by time humans came to the dales, these had mostly been confined to circles or in places of known ill-will.
Irene

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HUGE Andre Norton sale - today only! Jerrie 3 268 March 28th, 2021, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Passing of Andre Norton, March 17, 2005 Irvkoch 47 29,451 February 18th, 2021, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Michael
  ebay listing - 70 Andre Norton books for sale chris.hakenkamp@gmail.com 1 404 November 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Nobble Warrior Meets with a Ghost Lots-A-Watts 1 214 November 4th, 2020, 08:13 PM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Hob's Pot Lots-A-Watts 0 286 October 23rd, 2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Andre's Reading Corner - Noble Warrior Lots-A-Watts 3 354 October 3rd, 2020, 11:46 AM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Desirable Lakeside Residence Lots-A-Watts 0 245 September 16th, 2020, 12:30 PM
  Andre's Reading Corner - London Bridge Lots-A-Watts 2 327 September 6th, 2020, 11:40 AM
  Andre's Reading Corner - A Cats Tale Lots-A-Watts 2 384 August 19th, 2020, 01:35 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Andre's Reading Corner - Nine Threads of Gold Lots-A-Watts 2 539 July 18th, 2020, 06:04 PM