Star Ka'at discussion
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/26/kitties-i...star-kaat/

Jerrie
OK. Pulling the book off of the shelf.
This isn't my favorite series. Perhaps, well I need to re-read the book first.
Irene
I really do not understand Judith's hang-up with "Race".

What does ones skin color have to do with anything EVER?

If we actually started teaching people that "Color" means nothing then maybe we could get rid of all the "Race" crap.

I never judge people by their skin color - I go by ones ACTIONS. That is what is important.
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton-Books.com
(May 27th, 2020, 01:56 PM)Lots-A-Watts Wrote: I really do not understand Judith's hang-up with "Race".

What does ones skin color have to do with anything EVER?

If we actually started teaching people that "Color" means nothing then maybe we could get rid of all the "Race" crap.

I never judge people by their skin color - I go by ones ACTIONS. That is what is important.

Sadly, there are far too many people who don’t think as you do. Black people are still being disproportionately killed by police and otherwise discriminated against. Just look at what’s happened in Minneapolis. Look at the difference of how the gun-toting, white anti-COVID-19 protestors weren’t touched by the police while people protesting the murder of a black man by a police officer are treated with violence. Why do they see unarmed protesters more of a threat than armed ones? Same with how Muslim people have been attacked and discriminated against since 9/11 and now Chinese people with COVID-19.

Sadly, the answer is racism.

Andre was amazingly progressive for her time and upbringing. When she could sneak characters who weren’t the standard white male protagonist into her stories and get it past her publishers, she did and Judith points this out. Since Judith is an author herself, she can’t help but analyse what she reads from a modern perspective and consider how an modern audience that isn’t exclusively white and male would react.
Well.

STAR KA'AT by Andre Norton & Dorothy Madlee. Illustrated by Bernard Colonna

I don't think that this is a middle school reader. the characters are too young. It is also a co-authored book.

The usual tropes of orphaned kids are there, and the illustrations of cats are very fine.

But this book doesn't hold my attention. It's about 120 pages, and honestly the ka'ats are better characters than the children.

The two children don't see each other as different, but the author definitely had Elly speak with a patois, and she doesn't go to school, but someone has taken the time to put her hair in wiry black braids.
When the time comes, neither sees any problem in turning their backs on their lives, without worrying about the mess they may be leaving behind.
Irene

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  _The White Jade Fox_ discussion Jerrie 2 139 Yesterday, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Irene
  _Stand To Horse_ discussion Jerrie 2 70 August 9th, 2020, 09:44 AM
  STAR KA'ATS AND THE WINGED WARRIORS Irene 12 124 July 24th, 2020, 10:49 AM
  _Star Ka’ats and the Plant People_ discussion Jerrie 1 240 July 2nd, 2020, 10:03 AM
  Star Ka'at World discussion Jerrie 3 263 June 27th, 2020, 09:34 AM
  At Sword’s Point - Discussion Marron4Gateau 2 403 May 13th, 2020, 07:45 PM
  The Sword is Drawn - Discussion Marron4Gateau 8 270 May 8th, 2020, 10:27 AM
  Sword in Sheath - Discussion Marron4Gateau 2 222 May 6th, 2020, 08:53 AM
  Discussion - Knave of Dreams Marron4Gateau 5 205 April 26th, 2020, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  The Prince Commands - Discussion Marron4Gateau 7 612 March 24th, 2020, 03:34 PM