At Sword’s Point - Discussion
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/11/the-war-n...ds-points/
AT SWORDS' POINTS by Andre Norton
I finished reading the book a few days ago.

It is 1952, Quinn Anders is the younger son of a deceased History professor. He had polio and during that period went way ahead of his age mates in school. So now, at 19, he is a college graduate. To young for much of anything except finishing his father's history. He has plans to go to the Netherlands & Belgium, and to meet up with his much older brother, the dashing Stark. Quinn receives the bad news that Stark has died in an auto accident. AND then he receives an odd ugly china horse from Stark, with a curious letter, and a request to bring the horse to the "House of Norreys|

So begins an adventure in Europe; spies and code names, dodging a bullet, mysterious people, and my favorite character: Kater, with whom Quinn joins for dinner at his namesake restaurant the Wise Tomcat. Kater drinks beer.
Irene
Judith's only criticism is the steriotypes of the people. Of course, I cringe when people casually light up cigarettes. But this was 1952 (published in 1954), and people smoked. I think my father smoked during WWII, but gave it up after the war. [Ether as a way to save money, or after he me my non-smoking Mom.]

I remember polio. I was born in those years, but didn't get that illness. I remember the vaccines, and quite liked the liquid one that came on a sugar cube. One of my cousins had polio, and luckily has not had some of the recurrence that many people had when they got older (Similar to an old sports injury that comes back to haunt you in your 60's.).

Oh, as for one character being very American, though with a Japanese surname. Well I think of George Takei, though George was interred during the war, many slightly older Japanese got out of the camps by enlisting in the army. The character who is very Chinese, is playing a role. It is only at the end of the book, where he can relax. [I picture him as about 19.]

So the main character is a VERY Andre Norton character: Young, something "wrong" (wrong class, wrong planet, wrong age), who by trying hard, gets past his issues, and grows.
Irene

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  _The White Jade Fox_ discussion Jerrie 2 139 Yesterday, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Irene
  _Stand To Horse_ discussion Jerrie 2 70 August 9th, 2020, 09:44 AM
  _Star Ka’ats and the Plant People_ discussion Jerrie 1 240 July 2nd, 2020, 10:03 AM
  Star Ka'at World discussion Jerrie 3 263 June 27th, 2020, 09:34 AM
  Star Ka'at discussion Jerrie 4 155 May 31st, 2020, 07:09 PM
  The Sword is Drawn - Discussion Marron4Gateau 8 270 May 8th, 2020, 10:27 AM
  Sword in Sheath - Discussion Marron4Gateau 2 220 May 6th, 2020, 08:53 AM
  Discussion - Knave of Dreams Marron4Gateau 5 204 April 26th, 2020, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  The Prince Commands - Discussion Marron4Gateau 7 612 March 24th, 2020, 03:34 PM
  _Rebel Spurs _ discussion Jerrie 0 322 March 5th, 2020, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Jerrie