The Sword is Drawn - Discussion
https://www.tor.com/2020/04/13/the-war-b...-is-drawn/
Maybe you could point out to Judith that there are actually 4 stories and where she can find story #4.

(I would if I could)
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton-Books.com
what do you consider is the 4th story?
Irene
(April 14th, 2020, 09:03 AM)Irene Wrote: what do you consider is the 4th story?

The one which you helped me with the missing pieces.

[url=[/url]]"Trouble in Mayapan"
[url=http://andre-norton-books.com/unpublished-works/trouble-in-mayapan][/url]
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
OK. As I only had that rough double pages titled "the Mexican Sword" I don't remember doing more than that one double sided sheet

Judith is allowed to not know about this, as it is only on the Norton site. which I thank you for.
Irene
(April 14th, 2020, 07:43 PM)Irene Wrote: Judith is allowed to not know about this, as it is only on the Norton site.   which I thank you for.

I'm sure she appreciates your permission to not know something.

I was suggesting she be informed of info - NOT commenting on her lack of knowledge.
Jay,
There is NO way Judith could have known about this unfinished manuscript. Heck I didn't know about it.

I'm just reading it for the first time myself.

Judith's main comment is that the scenes seem dis-jointed.
Well I say, covering 2 years in 200 pages is a lot, and was perhaps to ambitions to allow for anything but dis-jointed scenes.
Irene
I've finished reading the TROUBLE IN MAYAPAN
It is not a complete novel. In fact this is a pre-edited novel, as I consider Andre Norton to be one of the best editors I have ever met, this is in need of her touch.
This could use someone like P.M.Griffin to finish it. But, as the style is rather old fashioned, I don't suppose it will ever be finished.
Irene
It has taken me a couple of weeks to "get to" this book. So, I cheered myself up with several comedies, and with one more on the shelf next to the comfy chair. I also originally posted it under the wrong title.

As I read, I realized that this was actually 4 separate novellas. As the book was originally published in 1944, they were all written during the war years. What joins the stories is letters between two teens. Cleveland Press World Friends Club.
Silly me, I Googled, and got a circular reference.
ANDRE NORTON by John Bankston, Copyright 2010 Infobase Publishing
"The Cleveland Press World Friends Club began in the late 1930s, as a way for children from different cultures to get to know each other. While this noble objective was curtailed by the events of World War II, such pen pal organizations increased in popularity afterward."

Back to the book.
The four novellas are 4 events in the life of Lorens van Norreys, an 18 year old. These are like four war nightmares. [Years back, a Vietnam Vet described these as screaming dreams.]
In the first, he comes home from University to find his grandfather dying, and bombs being dropped on his home. He escapes to England.
In the second, he arrives in Indonesia to join his last van Norreys relative, Piet, who has an air service. Piet refuses to let Lorens learn to be a pilot, and instead send him to a secret landing strip in the middle of the jungle. Unfortunately the secret seems lost as Japanese soldiers are air dripped in, and the air strip people grab what they can and start the walk out. This is a war. Not a story, not an adventure, a war. In the jungle, the bugs bite, rain falls, swords are used to hack a path through and there is always the fear of Japanese patrols. Eventually Lorens does get through, and takes a plane for Australia. But even small airplanes can be shot down, and Lorens is badly hurt in the crash.
The third novella, is the story of what Lorens does to partly recover from his injuries. He is evacuated from Australia to America and he finds a need to go back to the Netherlands. He fears that his permanent injuries makes him unfit for a future as a pilot, so he must do as he can.
The final novella is a spy story. This is the way that Lorens makes his way back to the house of Norreys, past German officers, collaborators, and nationalists.
Irene

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  _The White Jade Fox_ discussion Jerrie 2 139 Yesterday, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Irene
  _Stand To Horse_ discussion Jerrie 2 70 August 9th, 2020, 09:44 AM
  _Star Ka’ats and the Plant People_ discussion Jerrie 1 240 July 2nd, 2020, 10:03 AM
  Star Ka'at World discussion Jerrie 3 265 June 27th, 2020, 09:34 AM
  Star Ka'at discussion Jerrie 4 157 May 31st, 2020, 07:09 PM
  At Sword’s Point - Discussion Marron4Gateau 2 403 May 13th, 2020, 07:45 PM
  Sword in Sheath - Discussion Marron4Gateau 2 222 May 6th, 2020, 08:53 AM
  Discussion - Knave of Dreams Marron4Gateau 5 205 April 26th, 2020, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  The Prince Commands - Discussion Marron4Gateau 7 613 March 24th, 2020, 03:34 PM
  _Rebel Spurs _ discussion Jerrie 0 323 March 5th, 2020, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Jerrie