Wizards in the Early Third Age
"When maybe a thousand years had passed, and the first shadow had fallen on Greenwood the Great, the Istari or Wizards appeared in Middle-earth. It was afterwards said that they came out of the Far West and were messengers sent to contest the power of Sauron, and to unite all those who had the will to resist him; but they were forbidden to match his power with power, or to seek to dominate Elves or Men by force and fear."

So basically the Wizards arrive when Gondor was at nearly peak power, and the North Kingdom still extant (though divided). 

I'm wondering what the Wizards were up to and what they did in those days. 

In the late Third Age, Gandalf was all over the western Middle Earth trying to plug the holes left behind by the collapse of Arnor and the power vacuum in Gondor. I wonder, what if the Wizards had made more of an effort in the earlier years? 

And then I wonder, what if they actually did? Where did Malbeth the Seer come from, for example? Did he take foretelling classes in Lorien at Gandalf's suggestion, maybe? Did a Wizard suggest Arvedui claim the Crown of Gondor? 

Lots of room for fanfiction I guess?
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
Can't offer anything about Malbeth the Seer but I think it's safe to argue that the Istari probably wandered around the map and got to know the locals, lending their wisdom and moral support wherever it was needed.

Tolkien seems to have meant the reader to see Gandalf as the role-model for other Istari. He knew everyone and everyone knew him. In the early days he would have had to spend time earning people's trust.

Presumably Cirdan told Elrond and Galadriel who they were.
(April 4th, 2020, 01:50 AM)Coconut Ent Wrote: So basically the Wizards arrive when Gondor was at nearly peak power, and the North Kingdom still extant (though divided). 

I'm wondering what the Wizards were up to and what they did in those days. 

In the late Third Age, Gandalf was all over the western Middle Earth trying to plug the holes left behind by the collapse of Arnor and the power vacuum in Gondor. I wonder, what if the Wizards had made more of an effort in the earlier years?
Now that you mention it, where were the Istari while the Witch-king was slowly destroying the North kingdom?  A wizard would have been mighty handy for Arveleg to have had at his side at the siege of Amon Sûl in 1409 [Mordomin did his best, but even that Elf-lord could not turn the fortunes there by himself. He DID gain the Dunedain an orderly withdrawl, which allowed the firing of the tower and the removal of the body of their king...and the Palantir.]
(April 4th, 2020, 01:50 AM)Coconut Ent Wrote: And then I wonder, what if they actually did? Where did Malbeth the Seer come from, for example? Did he take foretelling classes in Lorien at Gandalf's suggestion, maybe? Did a Wizard suggest Arvedui claim the Crown of Gondor?
If a Wizard did, where was that Wizard when the Witch-king and the Army of Angmar came a-calling just 30 years later?
(April 4th, 2020, 01:50 AM)Coconut Ent Wrote: Lots of room for fanfiction I guess?
I did MY part...LOL!
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wizards of Middle Earth badlands 2 338 October 9th, 2017, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Were wizards fertile? Jaak 39 2,137 July 19th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  The Mystery Wizards Orangeblossom 11 984 June 11th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Last Post: Michael
  wizards MaDdOg 14 860 March 12th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Last Post: MagiK
  Blue Wizards Unregistered 8 539 January 23rd, 2004, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Comma
  Tolkien's Wizards - Maia? Anduril 8 698 January 4th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Attalus
  early live action lord of the rings Unregistered 12 1,110 July 30th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Steve S.
  Two Towers DVD surfaces Early! Attalus 5 674 June 19th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Early copies of "The Hobbit" offered SheElf 1 433 May 7th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Attalus