Why didn't Isildur reforge Narsil?
Depending what source you take to be canon,  Isildur spent at least a year and a half in Gondor after the end of the War of Last Alliance.  This was plenty of time to reforge Narsil.  Was there no one in Gondor who could have reforged it?  At this time in terms of technology and skill Gondor was still Numenorean, so that seems unlikely.  Was it because the sword was made by Telchar, a Dwarf.  But Isildur did not go by Moria on his return journey.   And, in any event, the Elves of Rivendell reforged the sword.

I think Isildur had no intentions of reforging Nasil.  To Isildur, Narsil had a highly symbolic value as a broken sword.  This was the weapon that slew Sauron and cut the One Ring from his hand.  Being broken symbolized that.   Perhaps Isildur truly deemed all his enemies were overthrown and felt that the sword would never be needed in combat.   Narsil would then be an heirloom to remind all Isildur's subsequent generations of the sacrifice that Elendil had made.   This, to me, seems like the best explanation.  Isildur clearly treasured the broken sword.  Yet he seemingly made no effort to reforge it or have it sent to someone with the capability of reforging it.
Well, I don't have time to do the research but I think there was a prophecy that the sword would not be remade for some reason. It might have been a post-Isildurian prophecy.

The sword had been made by Telchar of Nogrod, according to Aragorn. Isildur may have felt it was too valuable an heirloom - even broken - to simply reforge. Also, as a broken sword it reminded him of his father's sacrifice (as you suggest). I suspect Tolkien meant to convey something like that but never put it into words. Look at the loving care Isildur put into his father's tomb.
I had noted before that as Narsil had been made by the master Dwarven smith, then reforged into Anduril by Elves (Mirdain refugees who had entered Elrond's service?), Anduril of Elessar became as it were a hybrid fusion or Dwarven and Elven smithcraft.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
(October 13th, 2021, 11:19 AM)Alvin Eriol Wrote: I had noted before that as Narsil had been made by the master Dwarven smith, then reforged into Anduril by Elves (Mirdain refugees who had entered Elrond's service?), Anduril of Elessar became as it were a hybrid fusion or Dwarven and Elven smithcraft.
I have noted this as well. 
I think Anduril was one of the most powerful swords in existence, drawing on the 
strengths of Dwarves and Elves.
Looking at all passages concerning Narsil and Anduril, it is like a light sword from Star wars with two
different colors (blue and yellow).
(April 2nd, 2020, 12:07 PM)Travis Stephens Wrote: Depending what source you take to be canon,  Isildur spent at least a year and a half in Gondor after the end of the War of Last Alliance.  This was plenty of time to reforge Narsil.  
Why would he want to? He held the Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron as prize and weregild. What is Narsil compared to that?
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
(October 14th, 2021, 05:00 PM)Mordomin Wrote: Why would he want to?  He held the Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron as prize and weregild.  What is Narsil compared to that?

I think it's a bit of "All of the Above".

Can you imagine how terrifying Isildur would have been with the One Ring?  No wonder Sauron feared Aragorn.  Anduril AND the One Ring?  With an empowered Gandalf at his back?  Aragorn's feint certainly had weight to it.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why didn't the Valar return to Middle-Earth? ZehnWaters 13 194 October 21st, 2021, 12:43 AM
Last Post: ZehnWaters
  Why didn't they look for it? Mordomin 2 698 July 8th, 2020, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  Why didn't the Rangers plunder the Barrow-mounds? Mordomin 21 2,627 April 21st, 2020, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Coconut Ent
  Why didn't Sauron sack Rivendell? Mordomin 8 1,331 February 22nd, 2020, 05:24 AM
Last Post: Travis Stephens
  Why didn't Isildur go back to Rivendell the same way Frodo did? Travis Stephens 71 5,953 June 21st, 2019, 09:54 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Did Isildur ever wear the One Ring? Mordomin 14 1,751 September 22nd, 2016, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Why didn't Legolas notice Gollum? Coconut Ent 11 1,279 August 30th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Things you didn't know about Tolkien badlands 3 540 July 10th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Why did Narsil break? Mordomin 20 3,301 August 13th, 2014, 02:58 AM
  Peter Jackson says he didn't want to face "Hobbit" pressure Michael 0 877 February 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM