Gender Bender movies
What do you think of movie reboots that change the gender of main characters like Ghostbusters.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
It annoys me that someone thinks a character's gender must change in order to make a story more relevant to a contemporary audience. It feels like a gratuitous change.

And it annoys me that people get upset and make a big fuss over changing a character's gender.

In many cases, especially with tales told in science fiction and fantasy, the deeds and motivations of protagonists and antagonists could be given to characters of either gender. If someone wanted to retell "Hamlet" with a female lead, why could she be named Shauna, princess of Ireland?

Some writers do take classic old stories and retell them from another gender's perspective, but without changing the gender of the original character.

And this question is equally applicable to stories (and movies or TV shows) where ethnicity is strongly associated with certain characters. In the Broadway production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (I think), one of the actors is black. A lot of people were upset about the ethnicity change.

On the one hand, you should be able to retell any traditional or popular story with a cast whose ethnicity differs from the originating cast's ethnicities.

On the other hand, unless the change is intended to create an artistic interpretation that is unique to that social experience, it feels gratuitous to many people. It often feels gratuitous to me.

I don't see why Cinderella can't be African or Asian (and the original story was supposedly Chinese anyway). But should she be a lone African or Asian girl among Europeans or should she be cast with other actors of similar ethnicity?

Disney's The Lion King is a great example. It retells Shakespeare's story by changing the species (and featuring the voices of African-American actors). I think most people loved the adaptation. It was an adaptation and not an attempt to be an all-inclusive part of a larger franchise.

When one of the James Bond movies cast an African-American actor as CIA agent Felix Leiter a lot of people freaked and made fun of the change. In the context of that movie it worked. But when you looked at other Bond movies from the same period where Felix was typical white guy, the change felt gratuitous because it created an incongruity in the character and the world of James Bond.

It's a perfectly acceptable thing to do, but I think it works better (at least, is better received), when the audience is not required to accept the sudden, jarring change that conflicts with the context of the larger story universe.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cursed movies and shows badlands 2 349 March 2nd, 2020, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Agaricus
  Video: Real Navy Seal reviews military movies Michael 0 317 February 18th, 2020, 01:54 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Former mob boss reviews mob movies Michael 0 364 February 18th, 2020, 01:52 AM
  Are there movies about the Skeleton coast telling about genocide that happened there? badlands 0 242 January 21st, 2020, 10:48 PM
Last Post: badlands
Big Grin NEW SCI-FI MOVIES spock00001 4 986 December 1st, 2019, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Spacecadet11
  Which is best Comedy Movies to watch in free time? geekguy1829 1 713 September 17th, 2019, 12:18 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Which is the best Hollywood movies to watch in my free time? geeknerd360 2 789 September 5th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Spielberg does not want Netflix movies to win at the Academy. badlands 14 804 March 19th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Last Post: august
  Movies about USS Cole and Fitzgerald. badlands 1 309 February 16th, 2019, 07:57 PM
  Movies based on computer games or video games badlands 1 327 April 9th, 2018, 11:24 AM