Frodo's broken sword
Quote:“By Elbereth and Lúthien the Fair,” said Frodo with a last effort, lifting up his sword, 'you shall have neither the Ring nor me!"

Wasn't his sword supposed to have perished back at Weathertop after striking the Witch King? 

Quote:“Look!” he cried; and stooping he lifted from the ground a black cloak that had lain there hidden by the darkness. A foot above the lower hem there was a slash. “This was the stroke of Frodo's sword,” he said. “The only hurt that it did to his enemy, I fear; for it is unharmed, but all blades perish that pierce that dreadful King. More deadly to him was the name of Elbereth.”

And Bilbo forgot to have it fixed.
Quote:On the morning of the last day Frodo was alone with Bilbo, and the old hobbit pulled out from under his bed a wooden box. He lifted the lid and fumbled inside.

“Here is your sword,” he said. “But it was broken, you know. I took it to keep it safe but I've forgotten to ask if the smiths could mend it. No time now.. So I thought, perhaps, you would care to have this, don't
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
Look again at Aragorn's exact words:  "... “This was the stroke of Frodo's sword,” he said. “The only hurt that it did to his enemy, I fear; for it is unharmed, but all blades perish that pierce that dreadful King. " (emph. by me)

The "it" that was unharmed at that time was Frodo's sword. It was broken later at the Fords, and never mended, thus Bilbo bestowed Sting on his nephew as a substitute!

Added: Furthermore, we discussed this almost 11 years ago! Wink
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
All this time I thought "it was unharmed" referred to the Witch King! Now I know! 🌞
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why didn't Isildur go back to Rivendell the same way Frodo did? Travis Stephens 71 2,631 June 21st, 2019, 09:54 PM
Last Post: badlands
  New Frodo game badlands 1 215 September 9th, 2018, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Michael
  What did Frodo see? Mordomin 2 280 March 3rd, 2018, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  The Sword of Elrond Mordomin 32 1,444 August 19th, 2017, 10:13 AM
  Why did Frodo leave Middle Earth? badlands 1 449 April 17th, 2017, 11:58 PM
  God is dead but Frodo lives hippie movement badlands 1 508 August 18th, 2016, 07:16 PM
  Did Frodo use the Ring in the Shire? Welleran 19 1,133 June 7th, 2015, 12:10 PM
  Could Frodo or Bilbo had destroy the ring sooner? badlands 15 1,880 January 19th, 2015, 02:14 PM
  The Sword of Glorfindel Mordomin 9 1,170 August 2nd, 2014, 01:04 AM
  Book Announcement: The Hobbits - The Many Lives of Bilbo, Frodo, ... BookBug 3 917 February 12th, 2013, 12:02 PM