Doctor Who Thoughts
If you have not been watching the Twelfth Season/Series of New Who then be warned. Here be spoilers.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

No character seems to break Time Lord law more than the Doctor, and I include the Master in that consideration. But the Master certainly gives the Doctor a run for his/her money in this area. One moral division between the two characters is that the Doctor usually gives some warning before slaughtering thousands or millions of enemy combatants ("bad guys"). The Master doesn't seem to think in terms of good and evil and doesn't give warning - well, not direct warning.

The latest incarnation of the Doctor has heads turning because Jodie Whittaker is the first woman to play the character. We have seen female Time Lords aplenty going all the way back to the Doctor's granddaughter Susan. We also saw a gender-changing Time Lord when the Master came back as Missy and another when the 12th Doctor (Peter Capaldi) killed the Time Lord known only to audiences as "The General" (played by Ken Bones and T'Nia Miller). The earliest I recall seeing this character is in "Day of the Doctor" but maybe he appeared in other episodes.

There was a hint in the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) story "The Brain of Morbius" that the Doctor had many past lives, and this has received much commentary in recent weeks because it included the face of at least one woman. In "The Woman Who Fell to Earth", the 13th Doctor (Jodie) says it's been a while since she shopped for a woman's wardrobe.

And then in the recent episode "Fugitive of the Judoon" Jo Martin played another female incarnation of the Doctor - one that is supposedly from the Doctor's distant past. As I write this I haven't watched anything past "Praxeus" so I don't know if they have returned to this theme.

Fans and pundits alike wonder how the Doctor can have had so many past lives. Well, obviously because of Peter Capaldi's regeneration we know the Time Lords can grant extensions on regenerations. In fact, that technology was established in "The Five Doctors" decades ago. But Rassilon supposedly built in safeguards to prevent people from abusing the technology.

The Sisterhood of Karn may also have the ability to extend a Time Lord's allotted lives, although I'm not aware of any specific statement about that. But in "Night of the Doctor" they tell the 8th Doctor (Paul McGann) that they've developed Time Lord science beyond what Gallifrey has achieved.

If Jo Martin's Doctor really is from the past then one need not assume she is from an alternate universe. The Doctor could have been awarded at least 2 regeneration cycles for helping the Time Lords. And the 1st Doctor (played by William Hartnell, Richard Hurndall, and David Bradley) could have had his memory wiped just as the 12th Doctor's memory was wiped when he tried to wipe Clara's memory.

Conversely, if Jo Martin's Doctor is really from the future then that means whatever the Master did to the Time Lords wasn't final and they can come back.

But it seems to me that even though a lot of these story lines are clearly not thought out years or decades in advance, the various writing teams have done a pretty good job of sticking to the evolving primary storyline for the character.
so whatever happened to the Daleks? Worthy adversaries.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
The Doctor kills them off every now and then and they manage to come back. Sometimes they get away with just a butt-whipping. Always great villains to have.
(February 13th, 2020, 01:04 AM)Michael Wrote: The Doctor kills them off every now and then and they manage to come back. Sometimes they get away with just a butt-whipping. Always great villains to have.

Are you liking the new Doctor? I lost interest midway through Matt Smith, and it seems like things have gotten pretty rough since then. I haven't been hearing good things about it.
I like actors and the characters. The stories are a bit weak but I'm still watching the show.

Peter Capaldi took the Doctor into a more serious direction and I think that alienated some people while bringing in new viewers. I loved Matt Smith's episodes and rewatch them 2-3 times per year.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Each version of the Doctor kind of winds down toward the end. I think you can see how exhausted the actors become and they are ready to let go (except for no. 6, obviously, but I was never a fan of Colin Baker's take on the doctor).

For those who don't understand my "obviously", Colin Baker was fired when the BBC cleaned house in the franchise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Trailer for 12th season of "Doctor Who" Michael 1 83 December 17th, 2019, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Michael
  "Carnival Row" - Michael's Thoughts Michael 0 625 September 2nd, 2019, 01:36 PM
  Jodie Whittaker Doctor Who 1st Episode - Michael's Thoughts Michael 1 299 October 13th, 2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: rkomar
  Doctor Who Series 11 videos Michael 0 453 September 24th, 2018, 01:01 PM
  Doctor Who Video: "500 Miles" with full cast and crew Michael 0 164 September 17th, 2018, 07:03 PM
  The Hillywood Show Doctor Who parody (video) Michael 0 218 August 9th, 2018, 11:33 PM
  Video: "Doctor Who: Come in Number 5 - A retrospective of Davison's era" FilmGuy 0 190 July 24th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Doctor Who Season 11 News and Rumors Michael 0 182 July 18th, 2018, 01:51 PM
  Video about Doctor Who Graham Williams era Michael 0 144 July 17th, 2018, 02:04 PM
  Doctor Who Season 11 Trailer (Companions) Michael 0 137 July 16th, 2018, 10:10 PM