Christopher Tolkien passed away this morning
French Website Var-matin announced the death of Christopher Tolkien earlier today.

Here is a translation of the article (via Google Translate - some of it won't make much sense to English readers).

Quote:World earthquake in the kingdom of Heroic Fantasy! Christopher Tolkien disappeared overnight Wednesday to Thursday at the Dracénie Hospital Center (CHD) where he had just been admitted for health concerns.

All his life, this erudite academic will have lived in the shadow of giants as well as that of small hobbits. The price of the glory of being the son of the British master, but also the story of an extraordinary literary transmission between a father and his son ...

DISCREET LIFE IN THE AUPSOISE CAMPAIGN

Whoever blew his 95 candles on November 21 in Var may have had a planetary aura, his life in the countryside of Aups was more than discreet.

In the village, if it was known that a figure linked to the Lord of the Rings and Bilbo the Hobbit resided in the area, his presence in the center had always been extremely rare. On his property in the place called Les Sablons, away from the village, on the road to Villecroze, peaceful days passed. Surrounded since 1975 by his wife Baillie, in a setting of pines and olive trees.

However, by becoming the literary executor of the paternal John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (1892-1973), Christopher Tolkien had to expose himself on numerous occasions. Particularly when the two trilogies of Peter Jackson came out that he hardly tasted with trial at stake ...

CINEMATOGRAPHIC DISAGREEMENT

Last year again, the heir came out of his reserve together with the very picky Tolkien Estate, a legal structure around the work of JRR Tolkien, to condemn the Hollywood biopic dedicated to his father's youth and distributed on screens on June 15 by Disney.

This denial of "Tolkien" - the film - was a new fault created between Middle-earth, imagined by his father, and that built up by commercial posterity in which he did not recognize himself.

For the moment, no date is confirmed for his funeral which will take place in Aups. Var land where Christopher Tolkien, naturalized French, had expressed the wish to rest.

My deepest sympathies go out to the Tolkien family.
I have a lot of respect for Christopher Tolkien. He tried to keep subsequent releases true to his father's style and vision, while keeping plenty coming for the hungry fans. I can't think of any other similar case that turned out so well. Tolkien fans are fortunate that Christopher was able to do and did what he did. Mentally, I'm preparing for things to get suckier at the estate.
May Rest In Peace.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Tolkien get some of inspiration for his stories from Japanese myths/ fairytales badlands 2 256 July 13th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Tolkien the movie badlands 4 339 July 13th, 2019, 11:28 AM
  The Tolkien Family Distances Itself from the "Tolkien" Biopic Michael 4 318 May 11th, 2019, 06:59 PM
Last Post: GamgeeFest
  J.R.R. Tolkien vs Hilaire Belloc Michael 4 351 April 22nd, 2019, 01:24 PM
Last Post: august
  Legion M is organizing fan events for "Tolkien" the Movie Michael 0 213 April 21st, 2019, 09:41 PM
  Marquette University Interviewing Tolkien Fans for Archive Michael 0 284 March 25th, 2019, 10:29 AM
  Nicholas Hoult will star in J.R.R. Tolkien Biopic Michael 4 617 February 4th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Last Post: august
  Tolkiens life in South Africa badlands 1 181 January 28th, 2019, 08:02 PM
  Newsweek special about Tolkien badlands 1 199 August 22nd, 2018, 04:34 PM
  Review of traveling Tolkien exhibit Bacchus 0 169 August 18th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Bacchus